TOOLS & FABRICATION Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding

miller multimatic 200

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 04:50 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default miller multimatic 200

Anyone have any experience with this guy?

Miller - New Multimatic
Old 09-26-2012, 10:51 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought this welder (my first) and it's a great machine. I did some arc welding about 40 years ago and was never much good at it. I've read a book about welding and watched a bunch of the videos on the www.weldingtipsandtricks.com website. Armed with that small amount of knowledge and a smattering of experience that's four decades old and an excellent welder in the Multitech 200, I'm doing some very decent stuff using the MIG mode. Once, I get decent at that, I plan to practice stick welding and then move onto TIG if I decide to buy the TIG torch. I might also buy the Spoolmate 100 aluminum spool gun later on.

In summary, it's a great, compact, somewhat pricey welder!

Steve
Old 09-27-2012, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think these 3n1 machines are great for the home shop. The only stumbling block for the rather inexperienced is the lift arc start with the tig. There's no high frequency, you just touch the tungsten, hit the button, and lift the tungsten off the piece. Actually, Thermal Arc makes a line of these, that are much more affordable. Plus, the duty cycles are a little better. Tha Miller Multimatic is way overpriced, but they're having a sale til the end of Sept. that if you order the Multimatic, you get on of their portable welding tables (the smaller ArcStation) for free. You might want to look at the Thermal Arc Fabricator 181i; or the 211i.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:16 PM

What are you trying to accomplish?
Old 09-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by wkdivr
I think these 3n1 machines are great for the home shop. The only stumbling block for the rather inexperienced is the lift arc start with the tig. There's no high frequency, you just touch the tungsten, hit the button, and lift the tungsten off the piece. Actually, Thermal Arc makes a line of these, that are much more affordable. Plus, the duty cycles are a little better. Tha Miller Multimatic is way overpriced, but they're having a sale til the end of Sept. that if you order the Multimatic, you get on of their portable welding tables (the smaller ArcStation) for free. You might want to look at the Thermal Arc Fabricator 181i; or the 211i.
Spoken from the man in the know, great info Bill.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:32 PM
what a rush!

just wondering how these units work. I took a few welding classes a few years back...stick and tig.....no mig....although i've laid a few beads.

probably best to have separate machines.

ultimate goal = home fab shop
Old 09-30-2012, 06:33 AM

I am not a big fan of the three in one machines to be honest. If your not looking for portability, and simply want a home fab shop and have the room, I would recommend a tig welder and a mig welder.
You can find a used mig welder, at least here in Michigan, for a very reasonable price. Many of the older migs are more heavy duty and mechanical as opposed to the mostly electronic welders of the new.
If you can spring it, New on the tig is my recommendation. I dont know what your budget is, but the Miller dynasty is my favorite.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:04 AM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Mr. two
I am not a big fan of the three in one machines to be honest. If your not looking for portability, and simply want a home fab shop and have the room, I would recommend a tig welder and a mig welder.
You can find a used mig welder, at least here in Michigan, for a very reasonable price. Many of the older migs are more heavy duty and mechanical as opposed to the mostly electronic welders of the new.
If you can spring it, New on the tig is my recommendation. I dont know what your budget is, but the Miller dynasty is my favorite.
I've used the Miller dynasty and Lincoln square wave and preferred the square wave between the two (probably due to inexperience). Copy all, It's the advise I keep hearing, "get separate machines", I suppose there's no sense in going against that good advice. Stuff like the Multimatic just makes you want too cheat!!!
Old 09-30-2012, 11:43 AM

You will get opinions on Lincoln vs. Miller like you will Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge.
I have used both and generally prefer Miller over Lincoln. The Miller dynasty has larger capability than what Lincoln has to offer. I weld on molds, tool and die sections, prototypes........... with the dynasty aluminum is welded beautifully, and a beginner can get the feel quickly. I use the pulse on mine to weld on .030" thick stainless, or microweld with .010" thick rod. The uses of this machine are vast.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:45 AM

Lincoln has a big welder I like for the home user, powermig. If you get it with pulse option, thin material is much easier for beginners and vets

Quick Reply: miller multimatic 200