Texas We've Seceded from the Union

Anyone looking to build a house?

Old 04-11-2017, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2
I have a bathroom in my garage. A 1/2 bath, and it is probably the best thing about my house, other than the land. Easy access to a toilet when youre covered in car grime having a stage 4 bowel emergency is 10/10 amazing.

Since you havent broken ground, mess around with the floor plan and see if adding a 1/2 bath works for you.
Yeah...the more I think about it, the more I like it. I had originally drawn it up with the door directly into the master bath with only me using it in mind. But perhaps a half bath just for garage use is the best bet. Ill leave the door into the house for easy access of course but not having to go into the house covered in grease will definitely be a plus.

Thanks fellas! Now, when do I get started on plans for everyone else??
Old 04-11-2017, 11:15 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I was quick draw on the edit after I looked at it again

I just know a few guys who have done attached "shop spaces" and called them that, and it added a good bit into their insurance rate. I guess since it's bigger if you got a real inquisitive ins agent just call it "RV parking" or something.

We're strongly considering a 60x100ish steel structure. Half house, half shop or thereabouts. I know the hurdles with financing one already. But I think we have a game plan in place. We have ideas for floor plans but nothing set in stone at all.

One of the things I'm taking strongly into consideration isn't just the base price of the home but what it's going to cost to own/operate/maintain it. Which is why I asked about insurance.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I was quick draw on the edit after I looked at it again

I just know a few guys who have done attached "shop spaces" and called them that, and it added a good bit into their insurance rate. I guess since it's bigger if you got a real inquisitive ins agent just call it "RV parking" or something.

We're strongly considering a 60x100ish steel structure. Half house, half shop or thereabouts. I know the hurdles with financing one already. But I think we have a game plan in place. We have ideas for floor plans but nothing set in stone at all.

One of the things I'm taking strongly into consideration isn't just the base price of the home but what it's going to cost to own/operate/maintain it. Which is why I asked about insurance.
Luckily the lady I do all of my insurance work with has been awesome for the last 8 years or so and really helped me out a lot in different situations. Im sure there is a way to categorize that portion of the house to keep the insurance company from being too picky about it. And we will be building outside the city limits so I wont have to worry about city permitting being a pain about it either.

On another note, I don't have room in that garage to add a half bath out there. Even with minimum sizes it cuts the usable garage space down to about 18' in depth which won't be nearly enough to get my truck in and on the lift for work/maintenance. And I'm not interested in adding any more footage to the back or side of the house so Im not sure what Im going to go for now.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:36 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Take a whizz outside, wash your hands with the water hose, problem solved
Old 04-19-2017, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No way in hell I would place a shop next to the master bedroom..... I like to work at night and that would **** my wife off nightly with me pounding on **** at 2:00am.

RT
Old 05-09-2017, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 07Softail
No way in hell I would place a shop next to the master bedroom..... I like to work at night and that would **** my wife off nightly with me pounding on **** at 2:00am.

RT
I don't plan on staying up that late to work on anything anyway and with the entire master bath between the shop and bedroom, I don't think noise will be much of a problem. I'd be more worried about waking the kids up but luckily their rooms are on the opposite side of the house! The misses can sleep through anything. She slept in the truck at the shooting range one time with at least a dozen people out there firing anything from .22LR up to one guy that had a .50BMG out there. So Im not too worried about disturbing her beauty rest

Search this Thread