Texas We've Seceded from the Union

4L80e and head stud install shops? Austin area

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xxch0dyxx
I am getting my 4L80e built by Triple Edge Performance up in IN. He is a good friend of mine and has built several trans/engines for my various projects over the years. I still have a 4L60e in my Grand National that is putting down 600whp.

I will get ahold of you milkey, as I think I am just going to order another engine to drop in at the same time as trans. Just do the Cam/heads/studs and everything on the stand, then drop it all in with the trans already attached. Think that would make it a bit easier.
That sounds like a cake walk. Hit me up when you're ready!
Old 01-20-2017, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Decided to go ahead and order an LM7 takeout from LKQ for the truck. Might need to buy new headstuds, since the ones I purchase were 3 length.

I did install the new Alt, still having misfires as expected. Far less than the 1st log posted, but steady misfires. I am going to add a 4ga ground to the block and triple check the frame ground as well for cheap assurance. Still trying to find the issue with 4.8 because I'm keeping it to build for another project that I have down the road. Ordered a spark checker as well, as i lost my old one when moving.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay from LKQ? I go to the pick a part off South Congress in Austin all the time but never looked into engines or trannys. Do you have to go pick it up or will they ship? Did you use the website or call them?
Old 01-21-2017, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Paid 600 for engine with 130k. 6mo or 6k warranty.

They ship, was like 175 for freight, but I opted for pickup because its free. So was $600 out the door with a longblock warranty on parts, not labor.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Well, had the engine picked up and taken to Triple Edge Performance today. Going to have them look it over, install my Triple 12, studs, melling 10295, and all new gaskets. Then freight it to me with my 4L80e and Precision TC. Anything I am missing? Trunion setup?

For now I wait... And I am going to try a new crank sensor on the 4.8 to see if that helps. Time is hard to come by, so hoping to have that done by the weekend.

Also chasing some current draw from an unknown source. Radio fuse is already pulled, but I am going to hookup the DMM to the battery and start pulling fuses until I can find the source. Then I will try to rectify that issue as well. Seems like im always moving backwards, never in the right direction

DW also called me back today about my suspect DW350iL issue I had. They are going to warranty out the pump and send me a brand new one. Even though I already bought one local, I will either keep this for future use, or sell it for some other random parts.

Staying the course, wasting the money, enjoying the hate.
Attached Thumbnails 4L80e and head stud install shops? Austin area-image1.jpg   4L80e and head stud install shops? Austin area-image2.jpg  
Old 02-11-2017, 04:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How's the progress coming along?
Old 02-11-2017, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

Decided to sell the turbo setup and go after an LSA setup instead. Sold the kit, cam, and have a few other items to sell still.

Bought a blower cam from TSP yesterday to send it to the shop for install in the 5.3. Trying to hunt down a deal on some heads while it will be apart. Thompson is 14days out for their heads, and $1100. TSP can do theirs for me next week, at $1299 with stainless valves. Trying to see if I can find any other deals this weekend before I pull the trigger.

Got all new tires put on the truck yesterday, and drove the truck there to get them. First time the truck has been driven out of the driveway in nearly 2 years. Still has some misfire issues in park and at cold start... And lean when in the throttle heavy. All other times it drives fine.

Coming along slowly, hoping to get the engine and trans within the next two weeks. Hoping.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man, big change. What made you decide to go SC from a turbo? Easier setup?

I'd like to do a Whipple or an LSA setup on my Typhoon.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:14 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

How far are you from san antonio? I would take it to allen nelson if he has room for more work. He started as a tuner as a side business and now runs a full blown shop specializing in trucks.He can do the work snd nail down that misfire you have in no time
Old 02-12-2017, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

San An is about 2hr away, not too bad of a drive. I have thought about taking the truck somewhere to try to salvage the 4.8 and beat on it for awhile, but at the end of the day it was just cheaper to grab a 5.3 and get it ready on the stand.

That being said, I barely have enough free time to change plugs anymore... so I am still debating bringing the truck somewhere to put the new setup in. Couple people have offered up their assistance, so I might just take a long weekend from work to try to knock it out.

As far as deciding on the change... It was really just the want for something different. Wasnt too excited about the On3 kit the more I sat on it, and LSA setups are becoming much easier with companies making kits, etc. The truck just seemed to have more of a roots vibe to it...