STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Time for new speakers, What should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 09:20 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Polk db651 are cheap right now, they are last years model. The 6.5" are around 60 the 4x6 for the rear are $50. Won't find a better speaker for that amount of money.

Google polk db651 and just glance at the reviews on the first page of google. Every website they are rated 4.4-4.7 with anywhere from 200-9xx something people rating them per website.
dang :/
shoulda waited 6 months
but i'm still happy with them, as described above.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by X_Racing1
You should look at CTSounds.com great products and their customer service is top notch! My truck has a complete system other then deck it self. I highly recommend
We just put CT sounds Meso 6.5" in all 4 doors of my sons car, great speakers but they don't get real loud on head unit power only, they definitely want an amp on em.

Originally Posted by _zebra
dang :/
shoulda waited 6 months
but i'm still happy with them, as described above.
Yeah even at full cost they were worth the money. Do you have any complaints about them at all?

Did you put rings on the front of them? I'd have to go back and look and see if I mentioned it in this thread but in a few audio threads I've been talking about the importance of the foam rings on the front of the speaker to create a seal between the speaker and door panel. I've tested it back to back several times and it makes a big difference. You can do it with window seal foam from walmart or home depot, costs about $5 to buy a roll of it and it's peel and stick. Just make a circle around the speaker to meet the panel so all sound goes out into the cab, if you don't some sound goes into the panels instead of guided out of the panels into the cabin.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:44 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

yep - totally worth the difference they made! and they get plenty loud for basic speakers on head unit power.
i hadn't heard about the foam rings, so no. i also decided to forego using the decorative covers in favor of the stock door/pillar trim.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by _zebra
yep - totally worth the difference they made! and they get plenty loud for basic speakers on head unit power.
i hadn't heard about the foam rings, so no. i also decided to forego using the decorative covers in favor of the stock door/pillar trim.
It's the best $5-$10 you'll ever spend. It increases midbass considerably and overall sound quality and loudness.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the best $5-$10 you'll ever spend. It increases midbass considerably and overall sound quality and loudness.
I have JVC speakers and head unit from Cruchfield and I put foam behind the speakers in the door...Never considered the foam around the outside edge to seal it to the door panel...So off to my fav home improvement store today and yep, makes a big difference! But I lost one of those dang window crank clips in the gravel somewhere

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 03-08-2018, 12:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Flyingcat
I have JVC speakers and head unit from Cruchfield and I put foam behind the speakers in the door...Never considered the foam around the outside edge to seal it to the door panel...So off to my fav home improvement store today and yep, makes a big difference! But I lost one of those dang window crank clips in the gravel somewhere

Thanks for the suggestion!
Did you do the foam cups behind the speakers? If so while you have to door apart play it with the cup out and with the cup in. High end installers do not use those and from what I hear most people do not like them, plus the speaker is made to be in an infinite baffle, not enclosed.

Post up how you like it after you do the foam rings to the door panel.
The following users liked this post:
Flyingcat (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you do the foam cups behind the speakers? If so while you have to door apart play it with the cup out and with the cup in. High end installers do not use those and from what I hear most people do not like them, plus the speaker is made to be in an infinite baffle, not enclosed.

Post up how you like it after you do the foam rings to the door panel.
I am cheap lol so I found an old mattress pad and cut the foam to fit and trimmed the outside edge flush with the speaker ring....I will remove it tomorrow and see but they got a head banging work out this afternoon and sounded better with the foam ring on the front! I have foam cups on the rears but I do understand your theory of “infinite baffle”....Maybremove them as well...

Thanks for the suggestions! Report back soon after I get more of those dang door handle clips lol....
Old 03-09-2018, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Flyingcat
I am cheap lol so I found an old mattress pad and cut the foam to fit and trimmed the outside edge flush with the speaker ring....I will remove it tomorrow and see but they got a head banging work out this afternoon and sounded better with the foam ring on the front! I have foam cups on the rears but I do understand your theory of “infinite baffle”....Maybremove them as well...

Thanks for the suggestions! Report back soon after I get more of those dang door handle clips lol....
Oh they for sure sound better with rings on the front. I've never tried the cups but from what I hear they aren't good for sound quality. I'm interested to hear what you find though, thanks for the feedback
Old 03-09-2018, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm betting those cups are simply moisture barriers, since the factory has to think about stuff like that. Likely fine without them, but they have to cover the bases to cut down warranty issues under all possible operating circumstances.

Richard
Old 03-12-2018, 09:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by someotherguy
I'm betting those cups are simply moisture barriers, since the factory has to think about stuff like that. Likely fine without them, but they have to cover the bases to cut down warranty issues under all possible operating circumstances.

Richard
Essentially yes they are, but the doors already have seals and moisture barriers and speakers generally last for many years with just the factory seals in the doors. So IMO they are unnecessary.

Quick Reply: Time for new speakers, What should I get?