STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Sub help box help STD Cab Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Sub help box help STD Cab Silverado

Alright I aint the most knowledgable when it comes to this stuff. So far I have wasted some money and disappointed with performance.

I currently own 1 Boston acoustic spg 555, 1 t2d212 Rockford and a kicker zx1500.1 amp. Needless to say my exhuast hits harder then my sub/s.

Unfortunately I am limited on box size etc. I tried making a sealed box to the dimensions recommend and it sucks.

I listen to mainly metal and rock.

Help a brudda out???

I am thinking it is my boxes?? or???
Old 12-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't you just have that pro box?? You are going to need a box that is big, to get good forceful bass.. I have a single 12 kicker shallow mount in my truck(small box), for rock and stuff it is great.. But if you want alot of double bass hits, or super low,it gets blurry if it is way up.. A bigger tight box will give you a tighter sound, will be what you want for that kind of music.. best bet is to find out what cubic feet that sub calls for and have or build a box to it spec..
Old 12-22-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

that pro box i would have to cut a hole in the back for the magnet if i wanted to use it. But i can reverse mount the rockford, hmmmmmmmm.

Well according to some website they say i need between 2 and 3 cubic feet. I got an idea for something to fit between my seats. but I keep killing mdf making **** that dont work. so trying to find some one that knows or has some box experience becaus this **** getting old. I know i got the right equipment but something is wrong and I keep getting told it is the box.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Baltimore Whore

Sell the 2 subs, buy a nice shallow mount(JL) Is that the oval Boston sub? 1 12 in a truck like that should sound excellent.. You just need to figure out the space you need.. Get out the old tape measure and have at it.. Remember to use inside measurements to get the correct size you need.. Use cardboard to make a template up.. It should be close.. exact is not going to kill the sound, but the closer you get the better..
Old 12-22-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

the size to what, **** after seeing how cheap premade ebay boxes are not sure why i wasted hours making my own
Old 12-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Baltimore Whore

The cubic feet of the box..
Old 12-22-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

thats the thing how do i know what is best, which way should the speaker point etc

Trending Topics

Old 12-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Baltimore Whore

In you case with a sub that size, facing toward the front, up would prob be ideal, prob the only way you will be able to get it to work behind the console/jump seat.. If your making a sealed box.. If you do a ported box then the port facing down and out would prob be best.. Then you get into diff cubic feet between the 2 boxes being ported and sealed.. Again sealed will give a harder tighter hit while a ported style will give you a deeper rolling bass.. That speaker in your truck is not going to sound as good as it would in a vehicle that has more cabin space.. Just doesn't have the area to resonate.. I a not sure what kind of sound you are saying is good or bad.. A 1500 watt piece of crap should sound decent.. Hell I like mine with only 800 watts I have not even got around to doing a box yet prob never will

Old 12-22-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

brb with some pics
Old 12-22-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got 2 12" JL W3's in my truck. Home-made ported boxes, tuned them to a low enough frequency they still pretty much hit like my sealed boxes did, lows are much clearer than the sealed box was too.

EDIT : Pics

Last edited by dmelvin; 12-22-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Sub help box help STD Cab Silverado