STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Speaker upgrades for crew cab GMT900

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyjm1
Aren't your speakers in the doors? I would use that set to replace them. I think I have about he same but slightly older set. 6.5" fit nice and I just cut plates out of some scrap luan and sprayed them flat black to sink the tweeters in. All fits nice behind the door panels.

Did you get a new head unit and amplifier?
They'll play ok on a good quality aftermarket head but I'd recommend an amplifier.
Yes they're in the doors, they suggested the db6501's for the front doors and the db651s's for the rear doors. I still have the stock head unit with no amp, I am not sure on what I want to do for the head unit yet, I'd like to get a double din if I'm going to be replacing the stock head unit
Old 06-19-2016, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best door speakers for the money may be Pioneer TS-A1606C, they fit front and rear, Amazon has them. They fit well, and come with separate tweeters and a crossover. You can mount TS-T110 tweeters in the A pillars with some work. The tweeters in the A pillars are driven by the front door speakers, by the way.

As far as head units go, I put a Pioneer 5600 in mine a year or so ago, got it from Crutchfield, with a PAC GM11 interface so almost every function in the truck works as it did. It has a bluetooth mic, and a USB input. It is Sirius ready, I mounted a Sirius unit behind the glove box, and hooked it to the OnStar antenna, since I don't subscribe to OnStar. That particular head unit has been superseded. The Crutchfield kit makes it possible to install that series and have everything fit and work perfectly. There is nothing in my truck that looks out of place, butchered, or rigged.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Best speakers" is kind of a personal preference thing. Best for an application is a better question. On just radio power - make sure the sensitivity is higher, using an aftermarket amp at decent power -lower sensitivity and higher power rating...
Just a personal thing for me, I only buy speakers produced by speaker manufacturers, not head unit or amplifier manufacturers. I like pioneer stereos and have several but that's all I buy from them. I have some Soundstream and US Amps amplifiers and Polk, kicker, JBL, and Oz speakers in our vehicles. I only buy what someone excels in. That "make it all match crap" is good marketing, that's all.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hence why I said "may be" and "for the money", denoting an opinion. Never said anything about "the absolute best ever on the market".

Not everyone is an audiophile, and some decent, affordable, mainstream products, that they can get easily, are plenty for them.

The Pioneers have always done a good job for the average person, looking for a better than stock replacement, usually because the OE stuff has died, or because they wanted to get something a little better without breaking the bank. Never had anyone come back to me and complain about them being junk. But then, I've never put them in anything I was selling as a high end or competition level system.