STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

no power on ignition wire

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 07:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no power on ignition wire

well i was cruising down the road and i opened my cut-out for a few mins, then as i push the button to close it the radio immediatly turns off and the cut-out stays open. i get to the house and check the radio fuse under the hood, its burnt. so i replace the fuse and i give it another try, it does the same, but when i check the fuse its ok. i change the fuse anyways and the radio/ cut-out still dont work. i pull off the radio and check the fuse on it and its fine. i use a test light and start going to town on the wires. found out im not getting any power on my red wire in the stereo harness (key on ignition). i check the yellow wire (battery) and its fine. i tapped into the red wire for the cut out also. is there another fuse im missing to check? nothing smells burnt and im kinda stumped. i dont want to tap into another wire because ill lose the key off function of my radio. could it be the harness since the red wire dosnt even go to the main plug?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

it should be the same on your truck, mine the orange wire is the key-on, and pink is the accessory which is what ive wired my stereo to, it was the same on my camaro
Old 04-01-2008, 03:13 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it possible that the ignition switch got smoked? Not sure if there's any other fuses or relays on that circuit. Sounds like something in the circuit for the cutout, or the cutout itself, is shorted and that's what smoked the fuse initially.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:59 AM
12 Second Club

yeah that wire is shot unless i missing another fuse or something. i tapped into another wire now and the same thing happened again about 1/2 a day later. i changed the fuse and unplugged the cut out for a min the reconnected and its fine now. something with the cutout motor is funky, its only happened that couple of times and not yet since
Old 04-02-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

grab some diagrams and start tracing the wire from where it gets power all the way up to the radio,bound to find a burnt wire..