STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

JL Audio Subs and Amps

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j's01silverado
I find it extremely difficult to compare speakers "Apple to apple" because the amount of variables involved. Types of boxes, material of boxes, cross over frequencies, power capacity, resistance, and location of the speaker all effect the overall sound. My goal would be to optimize the speaker with the correct enclosure and amp. Usually the best speakers require a ton of power and a ton of power.

I visited both websites, and it looks like the 12" Treo TSX is eqivalent to the JL W6. ..............
the tests i did, were in a competitors vehicle from another shop. he has gang loads of 1st place's in his class for nothern cal.. he tried those crappy "battle of the bass" events and blew subs every time. i wasn't in his class, but he see's me putting the spank on people in my class. and he'd heard for a while about treo's. so he came up and we ran his on the TL meter. his box is designed by JL for JL W3's. so if anything, the treo's were at a disadvantage. we pulled his subs out,... dropped treo in. he gained 2 db and the coils didn't get as hot from test after test like his W3's would.

i have to say this is apples to apples. their price point is about the same (treo retailing for a little more) and they are both second level in their brands line up.

exlr8nss, i know you've got to cover your butt and keep things safe. i totally understand that you can't be too over catious from scammers these days.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

you can do 2 10" jl w6 and have the right amount of bass.......i used to work in a sound shop.......2 10" w6 with the jl 500/2 will rock......i currently have 3 12" W6 JL's, a PPI DCX 1500/1 for the subs and a PPI DCX 300/4 for the mids and hi's wich are MB QUART reference......with the ALPINE 9835 head unit......no expense waisted )....the two 10 and the 500/1 would rock......
Old 10-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Launching!

i actually have a JL 12" and amp. the 12's fits but its touching the underseat already. but sounds really good. i would recommend 2 8"and i'm telling u those will be just fine too. I'd go for the JL W6 or Phoenix Gold brand. I think JL sounds and works the best for me.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:12 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 95stroked1500
i have to say this is apples to apples. their price point is about the same (treo retailing for a little more) and they are both second level in their brands line up.
Actually the W6V2 is the second in the JL line up. The W7 being there best speaker.

I looked at the specs on both and they are equivalent in performance as well with the JL being better in some areas and the treo being better in others. Bottomline is that they are probably both great speakers. Treo's may sound better, who knows until you hear both.

What do you have your speakers in? RC or EC? Im in Norcal as well, maybe I could hear them sometime?
Old 10-11-2005, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

i go jl all the way. the system in my next truck will be all JL. There amps are top of the line and you can't beat the clarity of there speakers and woofers. i would personally just buy a monoblock amp if you are only gonna be running the sub off of it.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by j's01silverado
Actually the W6V2 is the second in the JL line up. The W7 being there best speaker.

I looked at the specs on both and they are equivalent in performance as well with the JL being better in some areas and the treo being better in others. Bottomline is that they are probably both great speakers. Treo's may sound better, who knows until you hear both.

What do you have your speakers in? RC or EC? Im in Norcal as well, maybe I could hear them sometime?

that's what he has. the latest and greatest for that line. he just got them replaced from blowing the last set. they are both great speakers. i have heard them both,..... i was involved in testing them both in this guys vehicle. treo > jl. real world application. sound every bit as good, but out perform. i didn't base my view point on "in theory... this one will do this and this one will be better here...". i did the actual dynamic testing.

love the W7... awesome speaker.

i'm an hour north east of redding. i have 2 treo ssi 10's in the gf's ex cab. i have/ had 2 treo ssx 15's in my truck... cut through reg cab. i'm reworking it so they are out right now. i had a problem with turning it up and making my ears bleed. i also have a couple set ups i've done with 2 tsx 12's off a 1kw amp running around. these are daily pounders that put up mid 142's on the TL. one at 42 hz, the other at 38 hz.

let me know if you head up this way. i'll make sure there's a couple set ups you can check out. here's an ex s-10. he does the 142.x @ 38 hz off a treo amp. 750.1, mono block rated @ 375 @ 4 ohms.
Attached Thumbnails JL Audio Subs and Amps-crystalsubs-013.jpg  

Last edited by 95stroked1500; 10-11-2005 at 08:52 PM.