STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

JL Audio Subs and Amps

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 07:50 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JL Audio Subs and Amps

Once again I used to like these subs/amps back in the day but, have been outta car audio for a long time now. Are they still any good?

I'm thinking of either a single 10" or 12" under the rear seat of the truck. I'm not looking for huge bass just nice clean tight bass that the factory setup just can't deliver so I might stick with the 10" but, there is room for a 12" too.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=12

Looking at this amp for it.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=253

Let me know.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeap, jlaudio woofers are still real good!! I have never heard a jlaudio amp???
Old 10-10-2005, 09:39 PM
11 Second Truck Club

i've heard 1 10" jl w3 in a small ported box and it performed really well for what it was.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

JL still makes a good product, amps included. i'd get a treo tsx over the W3. if you want jl just to have jl, fine. it's a good sub, you'll be happy with it. if you want to do apples to apples comparison for something that will kill it, get the treo.

the good thing about the jl amps (not their new entry level stuff though) is that they are strictly regulated. so at 11 volts 4 ohm, they still put out the same power as they would at 14 volts and 2 ohms.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:10 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Nah, I'm not dead set on the JL stuff just I remember it being good back in the day so I was going with what I remember.

So how about a link to the treo subs. What about them is better?

I'm going to do a little more research on my own to. Down the road I want to replace all the speakers in the truck so I might look for an amp that can handle the whole shooting match but, I'm thinking it'll be better to get a dedicated amp for the sub and another for the rest of the components later on.

Is the amp I linked to above one you'd consider one of the good ones?

Thanks man
Old 10-11-2005, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

yes, that amp is from their top line.
the treo subs sound every bit as good as the jl's, take more power, louder, and take the low notes better. they also take a beating day in and day out. with more than their rated power. they've done some upgrades to their subs and not the website. for the tsx, it got a higher roll surrond and an even stronger voice coil. this was done after i tested the tsx vs the w3. so it is even leaps more above the w3 now. for 2006, they're going to put the tsx in a cast basket just for cosmetics. price and performance will be the same.

http://www.treoonline.com/tsx.html

here's a few real life shots of a tsx 10. click to enlarge them....
Attached Thumbnails JL Audio Subs and Amps-tsx10-004.jpg   JL Audio Subs and Amps-tsx10-005.jpg   JL Audio Subs and Amps-tsx10-003.jpg   JL Audio Subs and Amps-tsx10-001.jpg  
Old 10-11-2005, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

hey wait...... you're the one that deleted my thread about a raffle! i changed my mind. you don't want treo or jl..... go get legacy. it's the best there is and you can score it for dirt!

lol,.... it actually went over well on the other forums. they liked it so much, we held another one already. just had a set of components shipped out to a guy in florida today who won the last round.

Trending Topics

Old 10-11-2005, 06:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

what is the price on those treo's??
Old 10-11-2005, 10:01 AM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I too have been out of the audio market for some time, maybe like 3 years. I bought JL because it has been a proven performer and quality is top notch. My current system consist of 2 JL 12 W6's, 2 JL Advantage boxes, JL 500/1, and JL 300/4. All the equipment has been in the truck for over 3 years, installed May of 2002. Never had a single problem.

I find it extremely difficult to compare speakers "Apple to apple" because the amount of variables involved. Types of boxes, material of boxes, cross over frequencies, power capacity, resistance, and location of the speaker all effect the overall sound. My goal would be to optimize the speaker with the correct enclosure and amp. Usually the best speakers require a ton of power and a ton of power.

Diamand Audio also makes nice equipment. Alumapro is also nice.

When looking at subs, I would be concerned with air space and mounting depth as that is a limiting factor underneath the seat of a truck.

I visited both websites, and it looks like the 12" Treo TSX is eqivalent to the JL W6. JL seems to be the more effecient sub, BUT has the higher mounting depth at 7.6" which would make the Treo a better choice because most boxes underneath the seat of a 99+ GM truck cannot accomidate more than 7" if depth in a box. Treo does not have the recomended enclosure size. JL recomends a 1.25 cubic foot sealed enclosure.

Here are the links;

JL W6V2
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=4

Treo TSX;
http://www.treoonline.com/tsx.html
Old 10-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Originally Posted by 95stroked1500
hey wait...... you're the one that deleted my thread about a raffle! i changed my mind. you don't want treo or jl..... go get legacy. it's the best there is and you can score it for dirt!

lol,.... it actually went over well on the other forums. they liked it so much, we held another one already. just had a set of components shipped out to a guy in florida today who won the last round.

Hehe...sorry man, just didn't know about the legality stuff with that. Glad it went over well on the other forums.

Thanks for the help. I do appreciate it.

Quick Reply: JL Audio Subs and Amps