STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Help me decide which DD HU for my 05 CC Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 02:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide which DD HU for my 05 CC Chevy

I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado crew cab with Bose, center console, Onstar and no factory XM. The factory HU is the single CD/cassette. The CD player was toast when I bought the truck and I haven't even tested the cassette since I don't use them. The lighting is also going. I'd like to upgrade the HU with an aftermarket double DIN unit. Here's what I'm after:

-As factory looking as possible. I don't want purple and orange LED's all over the place. This is my DD and I park at the airport a lot. I don't need to attract attention.
-XM capable
-Display that will show multiple lines on XM (artist, song, etc.)
-KEEP FACTORY FUNCTIONALITY! I've heard that sometimes things like the steering wheel controls don't work as well after installation even using the appropriate modules.
-Bluetooth
-Plays music files (ie. MP3)
-USB and aux input
-Around $500 or less
-MUST FIT! I'm not cutting out the brace behind the HU.

I've looked at Crutchfield for the last two weeks. I like the Pioneers but some of the reviews have scared me off due to little, "non-user friendly" comments. The two I've been considering are the AVH-P3200BT and FH-P8000BT. I thought about refurb'ing my stock unit and buying the XM kit. However, that would cost as much as all the aftermarket stuff and I wouldn't get Bluetooth, aux inputs, MP3 playback etc. That's even taking the extra modules into consideration like the Steering Controls and Chime keepers. I'm not after a big system or anything. I just want to regain what the factory stuff broke as well as add XM. The other stuff is bonus since it costs the same. Given all that info, what advice do you guys have? Any suggestions on other HUs?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-04-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think my head unit (Kenwood DPX503) is really clean looking and I have had several people tell me the same thing. It has Mp3, iPod, USB, and CD capabilities. It has hookups for XM/Sirius, too. The only thing it doesn't have that you mentioned is Bluetooth.

I found it on eBay in early 2009 for $200. You would need an adapter for the steering wheel controls, but my truck does not have those so I can't attest to how well that works. The display is fully customizable color-wise.

Help me decide which DD HU for my 05 CC Chevy-kenwood.jpg

My unit info: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DPX5...3.html?tp=5684

This may not be what you are looking for, but $200 is hard to beat.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

crutchfield used to have the aftermarket stock style radios for NBS GM trucks but now I only see them for NNBS and crossovers.

I'll be installing an Alpine IVA-W203 into my Silverado tomorrow. Alpine receivers are pretty clean looking with very few buttons
Old 01-20-2011, 06:01 PM
formerly b4vwannabe (2/4/2012)

I've got a Pioneer avic-d3 & I love it! They don't make that specific model anymore though, it's changed to a different part #. I'm perfectly happy with mine. It's got GPS Navigation, DVD, XM, ipod, touchscreen, can display a back up camera, can install bluetooth. To me, it's got everything one would need. All I had to do was notch the bracing inside the dash to get it to fit
Old 01-21-2011, 08:23 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I went down to a local stereo shop because I wanted to touch and feel a few potential candidates before I bought. I saw the avic and I really like it. However, I didn't like the price. By time I bought it and the required modules, I'd be into it for a grand. The guy at the shop told me that CES was going on in Vegas that very week and the manufacturer's new products would be out shortly thereafter. I figure I can wait a few weeks to see what they come up with. If I like one of them, I'll buy it. If not, maybe I can get an AVIC for cheaper since it's an obsolete model.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

There are tons of units out there for less that 500 bucks..
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...aql=&oq=double
My Fav..

Last edited by BitViper; 02-21-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Stock nav with bose lux upgrade FTW!
Old 01-28-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1bad2k
Stock nav with bose lux upgrade FTW!
Do you have a link to the thread where someone shows how to do this? I know I've seen it before, but can't find it.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slpsilverado
Do you have a link to the thread where someone shows how to do this? I know I've seen it before, but can't find it.
Here is one guy that had done it. Cant beat a touch screen nav that isnt very appealing to thieves LOL.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho....php?p=4208295

There are also a couple threads on that site that give a detailed step by step process on how to do it. I have the LUX TNR and a LUX amp, GPS antenna and disc all waiting for install..... I would sell it for the right price though, complete kit