STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Help me choose an amp and subs for my truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, i agree with you unredeemed. and really, you and i know that car audio technology as a whole is a few years behind audiophile home stuff. over time sag takes it's toll. wether it be in the speaker box or in a wharehouse still in the packaging. let me state my twist a little better. speakers wear out and have to be reconed or replaced anyway. for daily abuse and having to deal with less than optimal environment for an install, put the subs in how ever you can. there are some ways better than others.

lol, why waste our time in most instances. i find some people listen, but most don't. there'll be 10 bandwagon parrots that don't even have a system themselves and have only heard the cheaper stuff on display in circuit city. but these guys are internet install and product guru's. audio masters that know every thing. so when a technical guy gives some advise, they don't understand the physics or acoustics behind it. then large qty of parrots confuse everything. because there's so many of them saying the same thing. and they're only repeating what they've heard the other parrots say.

so, before i get off my soap box, i'll tell everyone this once. i have various connctions and friends high up through out this industry. i continually research and check products out. i wan to play with the best, so i am always on the search for the new and better. i haven't dealt with all brands, there's hundreds and hundreds out there. but there is only a handfull of build houses that make them for everyone. so i'll throw you some suggestions. and don't anyone think that cause you haven't heard of this equip,.... it must be junk like sony, legacy, or fosgate. yep,.... i said fosgate is junk. i haven't found their low end to be any better than sony or legacy, etc.. all these people saying they have fosgate and how good it is...... they don't know any different because they haven't tried any different. side note- high end fosgate is good. no where near best, but good. so, if anyone thinks fosgate is good,..... just note that i have high standards. and if i call a product good, it's way better than fosgate.

i have a connection who were importers for ground zero. there were a few economical factors of why they aren't coming into the states from germany for the time being. any way, they want to get rid of the last gz equip in their whare house. they do not deal direct with the public and are strict about following the chain of command of dealers and rep's. but... since they want to move it, they said they'll unload it to anybody and that includes the general public. so the prices i give you, are below dealer cost and figure 70% off of what they retail for. these is good stuff for a hell of a deal. i am not selling this to you. i will put anyone who wants to buy, in contact with them, as a one on one basis. they will sell to you.

these 10's for $70 each
http://www.ground-zero-audio.com/english/05_rw10sal.htm

what do you want for an amp....2, 4, 5 channel and how much do you want to spend. $150, $300?

if you want to buy a prefab box, look at these.....
http://www.proboxrocks.com/home.shtml
Old 10-10-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95stroked1500
no, i agree with you unredeemed. and really, you and i know that car audio technology as a whole is a few years behind audiophile home stuff. over time sag takes it's toll. wether it be in the speaker box or in a wharehouse still in the packaging. let me state my twist a little better. speakers wear out and have to be reconed or replaced anyway. for daily abuse and having to deal with less than optimal environment for an install, put the subs in how ever you can. there are some ways better than others.

lol, why waste our time in most instances. i find some people listen, but most don't. there'll be 10 bandwagon parrots that don't even have a system themselves and have only heard the cheaper stuff on display in circuit city. but these guys are internet install and product guru's. audio masters that know every thing. so when a technical guy gives some advise, they don't understand the physics or acoustics behind it. then large qty of parrots confuse everything. because there's so many of them saying the same thing. and they're only repeating what they've heard the other parrots say.

so, before i get off my soap box, i'll tell everyone this once. i have various connctions and friends high up through out this industry. i continually research and check products out. i wan to play with the best, so i am always on the search for the new and better. i haven't dealt with all brands, there's hundreds and hundreds out there. but there is only a handfull of build houses that make them for everyone. so i'll throw you some suggestions. and don't anyone think that cause you haven't heard of this equip,.... it must be junk like sony, legacy, or fosgate. yep,.... i said fosgate is junk. i haven't found their low end to be any better than sony or legacy, etc.. all these people saying they have fosgate and how good it is...... they don't know any different because they haven't tried any different. side note- high end fosgate is good. no where near best, but good. so, if anyone thinks fosgate is good,..... just note that i have high standards. and if i call a product good, it's way better than fosgate.

i have a connection who were importers for ground zero. there were a few economical factors of why they aren't coming into the states from germany for the time being. any way, they want to get rid of the last gz equip in their whare house. they do not deal direct with the public and are strict about following the chain of command of dealers and rep's. but... since they want to move it, they said they'll unload it to anybody and that includes the general public. so the prices i give you, are below dealer cost and figure 70% off of what they retail for. these is good stuff for a hell of a deal. i am not selling this to you. i will put anyone who wants to buy, in contact with them, as a one on one basis. they will sell to you.

these 10's for $70 each
http://www.ground-zero-audio.com/english/05_rw10sal.htm

what do you want for an amp....2, 4, 5 channel and how much do you want to spend. $150, $300?

if you want to buy a prefab box, look at these.....
http://www.proboxrocks.com/home.shtml
Those speakers look ok to me, if you say they are good i will take your word for it. Like i have said before i dont know much of anything about this stuff and just want something that sounds good.

As far as amp price i would like to stay around the $150-175 range.

Do you know how much that probox is? Looks pretty nice.

Phil
Old 10-10-2005, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

you'd have to contact them. it's in the $200 range i believe. i wish they had a distributor over here on the west coast.

those subs are good. aluminum cone, high roll surround for long excursion, pretty decent xmax.

you want a 2 channel amp?
this one will pound those subs very good, will do 500 rms @ 2 ohm mono. it's $165 (retail is $420).....
http://www.ground-zero-audio.com/english/08_ha2250x.htm

here's a decent 4 channel for $185 (retail is $460)..
http://www.ground-zero-audio.com/english/08_ha4150x.htm

that isn't legacy watts either. the european market is not like the american. they are not allowed to grossly over rate their products. so you can say that these amps are cea 2006 rated.

here's the scoop on amps. let's just talk about a decent line for this. i'll use us amps for example. their entry level IS, is cea rated. means from 20-20,000 hz, at 14.4 volts, with 1% thd, the amp is guaranteed to produce it's rated power. this particular amp is decently clean for an entry level amp. now, if you step up to their second level, the merlin, it is more expensive. so you have a $150 100 watt IS vs a $300 100 watt merlin. (prices and watts are figurative for the example. there isn't a 100 watt merlin, they don't start until 250 watts.) you get an amp that has beefier power supplies and tighter tolerance internals. this amp will make more power than the IS. the sound of your subs will hit deeper, tighter impact, and be a little louder. your highs will be cleaner and more detailed. now you step up to the AX line. lot more $. these are built even more stout and cleaner, american made- not off shore.
so you can expect these performance differance with any decent brand amp. this is why you are going to pay more $ for the same rated watts. this, and the fact that some amps are way overrated, is why you can't just look at an amps ratings and price to compare them. you have to know all the details and compare true apples to true apples. and the majority of consumers don't know how to check an amp out for the true scoop.
take legacy, they might use +/- 10% tolerance on their internal parts. that is why they are cheap and sound like crap. now helix,..... they brag about how they use +/- 1% tolerance on their parts. those more accurate parts cost way more, but produce an amp that is much cleaner.
the same can be said for the ground zero as the us amps. and those amps i linked are their 3rd level out of 6. so they're mid level amps.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95stroked1500
you'd have to contact them. it's in the $200 range i believe. i wish they had a distributor over here on the west coast.

those subs are good. aluminum cone, high roll surround for long excursion, pretty decent xmax.

you want a 2 channel amp?
this one will pound those subs very good, will do 500 rms @ 2 ohm mono. it's $165 (retail is $420).....
http://www.ground-zero-audio.com/english/08_ha2250x.htm

here's a decent 4 channel for $185 (retail is $460)..
http://www.ground-zero-audio.com/english/08_ha4150x.htm

that isn't legacy watts either. the european market is not like the american. they are not allowed to grossly over rate their products. so you can say that these amps are cea 2006 rated.

here's the scoop on amps. let's just talk about a decent line for this. i'll use us amps for example. their entry level IS, is cea rated. means from 20-20,000 hz, at 14.4 volts, with 1% thd, the amp is guaranteed to produce it's rated power. this particular amp is decently clean for an entry level amp. now, if you step up to their second level, the merlin, it is more expensive. so you have a $150 100 watt IS vs a $300 100 watt merlin. (prices and watts are figurative for the example. there isn't a 100 watt merlin, they don't start until 250 watts.) you get an amp that has beefier power supplies and tighter tolerance internals. this amp will make more power than the IS. the sound of your subs will hit deeper, tighter impact, and be a little louder. your highs will be cleaner and more detailed. now you step up to the AX line. lot more $. these are built even more stout and cleaner, american made- not off shore.
so you can expect these performance differance with any decent brand amp. this is why you are going to pay more $ for the same rated watts. this, and the fact that some amps are way overrated, is why you can't just look at an amps ratings and price to compare them. you have to know all the details and compare true apples to true apples. and the majority of consumers don't know how to check an amp out for the true scoop.
take legacy, they might use +/- 10% tolerance on their internal parts. that is why they are cheap and sound like crap. now helix,..... they brag about how they use +/- 1% tolerance on their parts. those more accurate parts cost way more, but produce an amp that is much cleaner.
the same can be said for the ground zero as the us amps. and those amps i linked are their 3rd level out of 6. so they're mid level amps.
I dont know what i need as far as 2 channel or 4 channel? You tell me what works best and i will do it. I will be using the Kenwood 4028 deck and was planning to use the stock speakers for now. Then i was planning to just get an amp an subs to add to it. If your guy has a set of 6.5's for the doors i may do that also.

Thanks again for all of your help and i will be in touch to order this stuff once you have time to figure out what i need (amp wise). Also are those subs gonna fit in a downfire box? I know that most of them are kind of shallow so just wanted to be sure before i bought them.

Phil
Old 10-10-2005, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

yep, subs will fit in the probox. i've done custom boxes that hold 12's with a bigger mounting depth under the nbs seats before. although i upfired them and put a "spacer" to hold the seat carpet off them when they threw.

i have to see what they have left for components. but don't worry about the highs for now..... i have other things i can do to get you hooked up with some awesome components for $150 plus shipping. and that deal won't go away unless dealer prices are raised.

it's a tough call. here's what i suggest what to do plan A...

1-get the subs and the 2 channel amp (gzha 2250)
2-when you get the highs, get an even bigger amp.
3-then you take the amp off the subs and put that one to your highs. take that new bigger amp and put it to your subs.

you will now have a system that is really really loud, really clean and balanced, and you won't be itching to upgrade it. you will spend less $ this way. vs getting a little system, then upgrading here and there until it is at the level you want.

here's one more option. this is plan B and what i'd do if you can scrape up the extra cash. there was 1- 4 channel, if they still have it left, that was a rep's demo piece. this would do the whole job and you wouldn't need to get another amp later. they told me they'd sell that one for $300. it is a $900 amp. it will do 700 watts rms @ 2 ohms mono for your subs, and leave you with 2 x 150 watts rms for your highs. and later if you wanted to tack on another set of highs, it'll do 2 x 250 rms @ 2ohms. it'll actually push 4 sets of highs on the front channels if you wanted it to. this amp is from their high end line. the line above it is their bruiser amps for spl competitions.
http://www.ground-zero-audio.com/english/08_na4350x.htm
this amp is fat. it is 2" tall x 12" wide x 18" long. it will fit behind your back seat. it is a monster. very powerful, very clean. requires a 150 amp fuse. if you're not drawing big power,........ you're not making big power. and all the amps have built in xovers.

my advise.... i would do what it took to get this amp. even if it means holding off on the subs and box. this is a gold nugget you don't want to pass up. the ball is in your court.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

I've heard that Audiobahn makes a really good sub. I don't know much on their amps though. When I was into car audio back in the day, Phoenix Gold and Kicker made top of the line amps. I'm not sure if they are still considered top but you might want to look into those names. Orion used to make some good subs too that required very little power and sounded ten times better than stuff twice as powerful & twice as expensive. Hope this helps.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

audiobahn..... more show than go. they have some decent stuff. kicker and phoenix gold still have some good stuff. the kicker solo x for example. orion has some good stuff too. none of them are top dogs, but they're up there.

although GZ is also top ranked. look how well they did in the german (this is their home country) finals! and the european finals are coming up, where there are going to be even some bigger #'s put up.

what you'll get with equipment value and performance per $......... you won't find a better deal than what the GZ is going for on sale right now. well you might if you're lucky. but they're going to be far and few in between.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:44 PM
Launching!

while audiobahn ARE very powerful subs...the hits they produce come out with a distorted tone to them
Old 10-11-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, i am going with 97stroked 1500's setup. I think it will work out pretty good! I will keep you guys posted!

Phil
Old 10-11-2005, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

hell man.....i'll sell you my whole truck with a system.......bed cut......3 JL 12 W6......PPI DCX 1500/1 for the subs.......PPI DCX 300/4 for the mids and highs......MB QUART reference for the mids and highs......ALPINE 9835 head unit.......4.8......22's......custom painted dash......blue neon lights under the seats....in the sub box......blue under body light kit......and i have a 6.0 and a 4L80E.........

Quick Reply: Help me choose an amp and subs for my truck