STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Dash Bezel from 03+ into 00-02 for radio double din

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 08:03 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Dash Bezel from 03+ into 00-02 for radio double din

Has anybody done it or seen it? I want pics. I am about to put in a double din radio and am going to have to modify my existing dash. My stereo guy seems to think I can keep my 3 12V power plugs and ashtray. He said all the grinding that needs to be done is on the inside. Anybody know of a place that I can get one color matched to my interior?
I found a black one on ebay. I could get it painted but would rather have it factory painted.
Pics, pics, pics.......
Old 08-31-2006, 08:35 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont believe you have put an 03 in a 99-02 theshape around the cluster is different IIRC.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:02 PM

The guy at the stereo shop said they did it once on an Escalade. He said the only difference is the radio din size and there is one clip that is different where it attaches. There is a thread on here somewhere about guys doing this to get the 03+ nav units which are double din. I just want to see what one looks like finished.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:10 PM

None of you dumbasses knows?
(Full metal jacket quote of the day)

I am now looking for a part number. In a 2003 and up, the part behind the dash bezel that the A/C controls mount on. Black plastic, has 2 rivets that hold it in there. If I cant find it, then its grinder time
Any wrecked 03+ trucks that want to part out? Theres no junkyard around here
Old 09-12-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
None of you dumbasses knows?
(Full metal jacket quote of the day)

I am now looking for a part number. In a 2003 and up, the part behind the dash bezel that the A/C controls mount on. Black plastic, has 2 rivets that hold it in there. If I cant find it, then its grinder time
Any wrecked 03+ trucks that want to part out? Theres no junkyard around here
Don't recommend trying an 03+ nav unit if that's what you're after. (you'd have to emulate the 03+ GM serial data bus to get it to work). Aftermarket would be far better/easier solution in this case.

I've never done one, but I seem to recall that you might also need the glove box out of an 03+ as well from a previous post. Don't quote me on that though.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:20 PM

I'm looking at an aftermarket, Kenwood. You wouldnt need the glove box. You need the dash bezel, the kick plate (part under the steering column) and the inside plastic part that the A/C controls mount to. The kick plate just makes it fit better. My 2002 one will work but its not a clean fit. Not enought to notice, but I notice. The plastic part for the A/C controls can be ground down and moved on my truck but the 03+ bolts in the same way and is already at the correct height. The 03's had very minimal dash changes that I can see other than the double din radio. I dont have any dea how to find the part number for the plastic part. Anybody work at a dealership? My local dealership cant find anything without a VIN. They are the definaition of lazy.

BTW, you cant open the ashtray with the new bezel either. I'm going to gring that down as well when I get it all together. The 3 12v sockets are still there as well but the door will only open about 75% before it hits the new bezel. Far enough to still use.
I need part numbers.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
BTW, you cant open the ashtray with the new bezel either. I'm going to gring that down as well when I get it all together. The 3 12v sockets are still there as well but the door will only open about 75% before it hits the new bezel. Far enough to still use.
I need part numbers.
I was going to say something to that effect, but I'm glad you found out. I'm very interested in this mod. Could you post pics of the progress rather than just the before and after? The 03 AC unit is also taller, as is the bezel hole (of course)... what are doing about this? Are you seeking out a new unit, and if so... will it plug right in?

Re: the ashtray, I'd like to see how you're going about trimming the bezel. That sort of thing scares the tar out of me. I'd be worried about it looking like crap.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:19 PM

I'm going to grind down the top of the ashtray. It will be hid by the bezel when not in use. I havent taken exact measurements but it looks like I just need to take 1/2" off. The AC controls will fit if I use the newer housing. The bezel does wrap around it a lot tighter. It almost cuts off some of the symbols and is right on the edge of the defrost and recirculate button but still looks ok. If I can find AC controls cheap and they are plug and play then I may do that as well.

Last edited by 1SlowHoe; 03-11-2007 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damit you better get one this. Cause I am wanting to do this. I think someone of GMfullsize did this to an 00 but built a plastic frame around the existing dash. So you will have to change the bezel right. I mean speedo and everything. does the 03 have the same plugins in the back? cause if it does I really like how the 03 escalade gauges look.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:36 PM

I wont have to change the speedo. The dash bezel fits fine. Ive already test fit it. There is a spot below the left corner of the AC controls that wont sit flush. I just got the 03+ kick plate for under the steering column, that should solve that. I also got the plastic bracket for the AC controls to mount to. I'm still not convinced its going to work perfectly. Plus all the parts are mis colored so I will have to find a place to paint them or dye them when its all done. I think this is going to be a long term project.

Quick Reply: Dash Bezel from 03+ into 00-02 for radio double din