STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

amp ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default amp ?

a friend of mine thats into car audio is gonna put 2 10" kicker L7 subs behind the seat of his reg cab silvy and wants to know what kind of amp he needs

also wants to know if he needs a two channel to run two subs or not

it takes 1200peak watts and 600 RMS watts to run EACH sub and he wants 1 amp to run both subs

any help is apprecciated

what he is going to do is order all parts himself and go have them all installed
Old 02-01-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A monoblock amp would be a good idea for that setup. Check out www.the12volt.com for a lot of good info on that kind of stuff.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Mr. Obvious

thanks for the link
Old 02-01-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

jl1000 WOULD WORK GREAT WITH THAT SETUP
Old 02-05-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Run a JL Audio 1000x1 mono block. A Memphis 1000x1 mono block class D will also do the trick. I have the same setup in a ecsb and will probably upgrade to a Memphis amp.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Mr. Obvious

yall are telling me a 1000watt amp is enough to pull both subs and he need 1200watts for the rms rating on them and they can pull up to 2400 watts together or am i way off

also is memphis better than JL i always thought JL was hot **** he just wants something that wont fry them subs but at the same time gives them all the power they need and he wants a national brand
Old 02-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Teching In

The peak power rating is virtually meaningless. It is just a rating that helps manufacturers sell their product, what is important when choosing the right subs or amp is the RMS (root mean square) rating. This is basically the wattage used by the sub at a continuous rate. Also if those are rated at 600W RMS you really don't want to under power them, if you run like a 400 watt amp to them it will do more harm than good in the long run eventually ruining them. The reason being is the amp will try too hard to produce the power needed and start clipping ( almost like distorting ) and damage the voice coils. Now I know this sounds weird but it is better to over power a speaker. I am running an Infinity 611A amp which produces like 500W RMS to one 12" Infinity Perfect that is rated at 350W rms and it sounds super. Just remember, the more power the better the sound quality.

Trending Topics

Old 02-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nightrunner
yall are telling me a 1000watt amp is enough to pull both subs and he need 1200watts for the rms rating on them and they can pull up to 2400 watts together or am i way off
Depending on the type of subs and amp. Some subs are 2 ohm, others are 4 ohm and some are even 8 ohm. Now as for the amp, if you go with a mono block amp like mine it will produce 657W @ 2 ohm and 456W @ 4 ohm, my sub is a 4 ohm sub so I must use the 4 ohm setting. Now I think the JL 1000 /1 produces 1000W RMS @ 2 or 4 ohm. That should be more that enough to push those L7's and make em sound tight. You will shell out some jack if you go with the JL amp, they are a great brand but IMO for the money you can't beat a Profile amp. They are really good sounding amps comparable to those like JL and Memphis but for half the price.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Mr. Obvious

so 1000watts worth of amp at the right ohm will be enough for 2 (10") L7s
Old 02-06-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bigwreck81
The peak power rating is virtually meaningless. It is just a rating that helps manufacturers sell their product, what is important when choosing the right subs or amp is the RMS (root mean square) rating. This is basically the wattage used by the sub at a continuous rate. Also if those are rated at 600W RMS you really don't want to under power them, if you run like a 400 watt amp to them it will do more harm than good in the long run eventually ruining them. The reason being is the amp will try too hard to produce the power needed and start clipping ( almost like distorting ) and damage the voice coils. Now I know this sounds weird but it is better to over power a speaker. I am running an Infinity 611A amp which produces like 500W RMS to one 12" Infinity Perfect that is rated at 350W rms and it sounds super. Just remember, the more power the better the sound quality.
I agree with most of this, however underpowering subs does not cause harm. Turning up the volume and gain levels on an underpowered sub or speaker is what causes harm. If a sub is rated at 600W RMS that doesn't mean it will always be trying to pull 600W of power. Just like when turn the volume down, your sub isn't pulling the same amount of power at volume 30 as it is at volume level 5. More like optimum sound qualitiy is produced at 600W at moderate sound levels or ~75% of the signal being sent to the amp. I do agree, it is much better to overpower a sub or speaker than to under power. If you do so, turn down your gains and you'll get better sound quality at higher volumes. If you're goign to underpower your subs or speakers, get a sound CD with recorded Hz levels and match your gains to your subs and speakers and keep the volume levels down.

Quick Reply: amp ?