STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

All speakers work when hot inside, only tweeters work when cold?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation All speakers work when hot inside, only tweeters work when cold?????

ok when I bought the truck it was hot out and the radio came right on, all speakers worked. In the morning or anytime its cold and you turn the radio on only the front 2 tweeters work. No rear or no front mids. Just the little tweeters. Well I figured it was something wrong with the factory radio so I installed a new JVC unit. Still the exact same thing, they only work when the truck has been sitting and the inside is hot. Once they are on they stay on and sound perfectly clear and fine. Once you turn the radio off though and back on once th inside of the truck is cool its back to just the tweeters working.

Is there some other plug or a common ground somewhere in the speakers that could cause all of them to act the same like this?

thanks

BTW its for an 05' LS truck.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:07 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Leave the heater on!!!! Gosh you newbies!! lol I have no clue as to what could cause that. Are they running off of an amp?
Old 06-02-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is a new one for me also, lol, was/is your harness behind the radio mangled?
Old 06-02-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is a totally new problem to me, I've never heard of such a thing. Normally it would be the opposite if ran off a amp, they would stop working when hot. 1 idea is if it is amped and there is a thermal overload built in then it may be bad? Hard to imagine that a thermal could be working the opposite way but crazy things have been known to happen.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL WTF thats weird.I would not know where to start with that one!!
Old 06-03-2009, 08:38 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I would run all new speaker wire to each speaker, and if you've already done that then you need to call GHOSTBUSTERS!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 06:53 PM
apple bottom jeans

All I can think of is maybe some silicone/adhesive is on the VC of both the speakers..and it gets fluid enough to move when its hot, but when it turns cold it locks it up..

pretty big leap but i have no idea what that could be. try a new set of speakers.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

There is no amp, just strait wire from the plug behind the radio to the skeakers. I unhooked all the skeaker wires one by one and still nothing. I checked all the wires to see if they were grounded out and none were. Later today I'm pulling a door panel again and hooking up another speaker to see if the signal is even getting to that point. Also going to ohm out all the speakers. Just a really odd one here. lol
Old 06-04-2009, 05:59 PM
formerly 2004RST (changed 11/19/2012)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doubt ohm has anything to do with why that would happen...only time i have heard of anything along these lines is with an amp....now you only have the component set in the front i would imagine...your back speakers don't work when it's cold out?

is it the factory radio or an aftermarket? if it's an aftermarket radio it could be that your speaker outputs on the radio are bad...other than that i'd just re-do the whole radio system
Old 06-04-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2004RST
doubt ohm has anything to do with why that would happen...only time i have heard of anything along these lines is with an amp....now you only have the component set in the front i would imagine...your back speakers don't work when it's cold out?

is it the factory radio or an aftermarket? if it's an aftermarket radio it could be that your speaker outputs on the radio are bad...other than that i'd just re-do the whole radio system
OP said he changed the radio and still the same? That's what has me baffled. Now he said no amp. I'm lost....

Like mentioned earlier change the wire. Are the front speakers stock or aftermarket component? Could be you just don't have enough power to push them if aftermarket?? I really have no clue, just hunting, call Ghostbusters!!

Quick Reply: All speakers work when hot inside, only tweeters work when cold?????