Site Suggestions Site Suggestions & Comments

Thanks to Brains...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 07:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks to Brains...

Just wanted to say thanks... seems like there was a lot of work put in around the clock to get this site and tech working right. What exactly was being done? I noticed a week ago that the "Number Viewing" each forum was removed and that list showing everyone online was removed.. that seemed to help with the speed a bit. So what had to be done exactly? Just moving stuff around from server to server?

I had fun in the beta forum, lol. The muffler bearing thread was classic.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We kept disabling "fluff" features to gain back performance as the number of users steadily increased. We were consistantly hitting over 1500 users a day, and then the site would take a dive and become so painful to use everyone would walk away from their PC's. Once we switched a few things off, the user count soared -- to over 2000, then 2500, and even hit 3000 !! Apparently a bit of the performance issues we have been "bandaiding" have been due to some faulty hardware, because even after migrating all the data to one of our other slower servers, we're still supporting over 2000 users with GOOD performance!

BTW, glad you guys enjoyed Beta
Old 02-28-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Keep up the good work!!!
Old 02-28-2006, 12:22 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSlow 4.8
Just wanted to say thanks... seems like there was a lot of work put in around the clock to get this site and tech working right. What exactly was being done? I noticed a week ago that the "Number Viewing" each forum was removed and that list showing everyone online was removed.. that seemed to help with the speed a bit. So what had to be done exactly? Just moving stuff around from server to server?

I had fun in the beta forum, lol. The muffler bearing thread was classic.

I was too busy looking at the hot chicks thread to see the muffler bearing thread.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brains
We kept disabling "fluff" features to gain back performance as the number of users steadily increased. We were consistantly hitting over 1500 users a day, and then the site would take a dive and become so painful to use everyone would walk away from their PC's. Once we switched a few things off, the user count soared -- to over 2000, then 2500, and even hit 3000 !! Apparently a bit of the performance issues we have been "bandaiding" have been due to some faulty hardware, because even after migrating all the data to one of our other slower servers, we're still supporting over 2000 users with GOOD performance!

BTW, glad you guys enjoyed Beta
I understand... that makes sense. lol Ive been going to school for computer programming for about 2 years now and ive been doing a lot of website design for almost 10 years now... so i understand all of what you are saying and the problems you were encountering. Sounds like the slower server probably could handel between 2500-3000 people alone. And your faster one of course could handle probably double or more of that from what your saying... but I'm glad you determined it was a hardware problem and not something else.

LOL... ya the hot chicks thread on the beta site was pretty intresting too... how many pages did that one get up to? I only saw it when it was on page 3.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Good work brains, you got us up and going pretty damm quick.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good work, I liked the beta forum..lol
Old 02-28-2006, 11:53 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any chance we can view the threads in the beta forum? I should have stayed on longer and "played" during beta sounds like I missed a few good threads the ex-gf thread was awesome
Old 03-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Launching!

Yeh keep up the good work-looks like the beta forums had good speed too-along with good threads.