Notices
Silverado SS, Joe Gibbs Editions, SSR Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

awd drive guy in here please

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.8T
tell me about it. here is what i have planed. let me know if it sounds ok. i got my hands on a free auto trac t-case. first i need to find out if it goes to the 2wd position with the electric motor not installed. by this i mean if i put it in and leave the front shaft out will it be in 2wd mode without the gear selector box installed. if so i want to install it for now to check and make sure it is the t-case going out and not the trans. then when income taxes come i can buy a SSS t-case and install that and be done with it. i want to do it this way for one, so i can check my trans so i can get it in for warranty work if it needs it and two, so i don't have to worry about the borgwarner going out and leaving me on the side of the road.

i hope i explained that right.
I don't think that is going to be a smart move. When the motor stops working on those, I have seen them shift in and out of 4x4 by themselves. It breaks the case in the end. I can only imagine what would happen with no motor at all.

Save and do it right the first time.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:43 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was it shifting like that cause the t-case shifted itself or was there a malfunction in the motor that caused a shift? the motor is has power all the time when the truck is running. if the motor malfunctioned i could see it shifting itself. but with no motor installed how would it go about making a shift? just trying to better understand it. i guess i could sell the autotrack case but they are a dime a dosen, so i don't see myself getting much.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

was it shifting like that cause the t-case shifted itself or was there a malfunction in the motor that caused a shift? the motor is has power all the time when the truck is running. if the motor malfunctioned i could see it shifting itself. but with no motor installed how would it go about making a shift? just trying to better understand it. i guess i could sell the autotrack case but they are a dime a dosen, so i don't see myself getting much.

I have seen them still shift with no motor in them. I worked at a salvage yard and used to sell a bunch of them to the local dealerships. That just sounds awefully risky to me. It's your truck do what you feel, but I hate to see you do something not only harmful to your truck, but potentially dangerous.

I'm not bashing here just offering my opinion. If I was going to do it, I would figure out a way to make the thing stay fixed in the setting you want. Hitting a bump and having that thing try to pop into low range would be a major disaster.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:14 PM
12 Second Truck Club

could i put something over the drive gear to hold it in place?
Old 11-17-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

could i put something over the drive gear to hold it in place?
Very possible, dunno what, but it could be something very crude and simple.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:58 AM
12 Second Truck Club

i'm out of town right now so i can't see the t-case. what does the drive gear piece look like? is it square something that a 3/8's or 1/2 ratchet would fit in?
Old 11-23-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Not sure on that one
Old 11-26-2008, 02:27 PM
12 Second Truck Club

so i took it apart and figured out how it works. and it looks as though i could take out the clutch pack set and leave it out and leave off the chain and make it only 2wd. the oil pump and all will still work. also i found that there is a spring loaded detent piece in there that makes it not easy for the thing to change gears. if i put a hard piece of tube or such in there it wont allow the case to change gears. it will not be able to rise out of the detent. how does this sound? and i will apply a small amount of jb weld to the oil outlet holes that would go to the clutch pack to keep pressure up inside the shaft so that it can properly lube the rest of the parts.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:48 PM
12 Second Truck Club

so i installed the home made 2wd auto trac case. then 2 weeks later i took it back out. 2wd blows. i won't be doing that again. my wife hated driving it. so, i'm switching to a better style t-case. whats the difference between the tbss and the SSS cases? are they both nvg-149's? i thought they were different. also will a case from a 07 tbss work? i found one on ebay for $750 with almost no miles on it.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:57 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you ever get it back up and running

Quick Reply: awd drive guy in here please