Notices
Silverado SS, Joe Gibbs Editions, SSR Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

awd drive guy in here please

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:48 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default awd drive guy in here please

has anybody with awd t-cases have problem with putting power to the ground? i just went for a run and i got some fun things going on. i stalled it to 5psi and launch. then it went to 6000rpm and went no where. i let out and heard clunk in the front end and got power back. but if i don't stall it up its ok as far as i can tell.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a AWD transfer case, or do you have the 4x4 auto transfer case running it in the auto mode?
Old 11-07-2008, 04:51 PM
12 Second Truck Club

borgwarner 4482 awd. similar to the h2. my front axle doesn't have the little motor on the front like the push button and manual 4wd guys.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like either the transmission is slipping like crazy or your TC is. Or it could be a problem with the boost valve in the transmission. Mind did that when I goofed up the HD-2 install and didn't get the ring snapped into the right groove.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:58 AM
FormerVendor

Something's not right there for sure. I damn near spray off the line and I have never had my truck do anything like that.

Sounds like it could possibly be a problem with the converter?
Old 11-08-2008, 04:49 PM
12 Second Truck Club

i've heard converter a few times. i called yank and they said it wouldn't be the converter if it launched hard. which it does but after that is when it either slips or just doesn't put much power down. but what would explain the front end clunk. it was like the transfercase engaged power to the front after i let out. i did hear a funny noise coming from kinda under me after a hard run at the track. i talked to torquewrench he looked it up for me. he said there was a gm bulletin and it said the t-case was rated to about 100hp over stock. i logged input torque with hptuners and it said 560ftlb peak and no lower than about 540ftlb while in boost.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.8T
borgwarner 4482 awd. similar to the h2. my front axle doesn't have the little motor on the front like the push button and manual 4wd guys.
There is quite a bit going on in your truck. What I mean is that with the BW-4482, the transfer-case is 2 speed, that is an open differential type, that works in conjunction with the ABS to send the power to the end that needs it. The transfer-case also has low range (for those that don't know). It is not as robust as the NV-149 single speed, which is totaly mechanical in nature, with a viscous coupling. Some of the strange noises you are hearing may be the ABS activating, while it is trying to send power to the appropriate end. You may try pulling the ABS fuse to see if the noise goes away during a launch. Good luck finding your issue.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:50 AM
12 Second Truck Club

the noise is after a hard run. like while cruising back to the staging lanes. were were thinking the planetary doesn't like the abuse. when i launch in boost the front tire go up in smoke and thats about the time it stops pulling completely. the trans is under warranty. the guy said he would have a look at it. but i wanna make sure its not the t-case first. so i think i will up grade to a SSS t-case and go from there. have SSS and tbss guys had any problem with the front end holding the power?
Old 11-13-2008, 08:30 AM
TECH Veteran

That transfercase can be a big problem when launching hard if you don't have a decent suspension setup since it is an open diff in the case. The SSS's have a viscous coupler in them making the awd more effective under low traction situations. Unfortunatly for you not awd's are created equal.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:22 AM
12 Second Truck Club

tell me about it. here is what i have planed. let me know if it sounds ok. i got my hands on a free auto trac t-case. first i need to find out if it goes to the 2wd position with the electric motor not installed. by this i mean if i put it in and leave the front shaft out will it be in 2wd mode without the gear selector box installed. if so i want to install it for now to check and make sure it is the t-case going out and not the trans. then when income taxes come i can buy a SSS t-case and install that and be done with it. i want to do it this way for one, so i can check my trans so i can get it in for warranty work if it needs it and two, so i don't have to worry about the borgwarner going out and leaving me on the side of the road.

i hope i explained that right.

Quick Reply: awd drive guy in here please