FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

2014 Sierra RCSB Z71 On3 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 03:56 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My a/c worked just fine this summer, but I also upgraded to dual spal 16" electric fans. I do like the log manifold, looks like it fits much better than the SS welded one.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Choda
how thick is that FMIC? Im surprised they have square end caps instead of "triangle" shaped ones.
She's a bit thick at 3.5" but easy on the eyes. See photos for the rest of the meaningful dimensions. Seems to be built like a tank. Hopefully tank=low/consistent IATs.

I'm familiar with the ends you are talking about; the name brand items I've seen often seem to use those. I could see there may be some advantages to that setup but I also imagine when you are cramming the air in that it doesn't make as much of a difference from a flow perspective(compared to flow concerns N/A). You could house a small family in the area behind a GM grille so space obviously isn't much of a concern.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RySmDPT14
My a/c worked just fine this summer, but I also upgraded to dual spal 16" electric fans. I do like the log manifold, looks like it fits much better than the SS welded one.
Good to know. I will see how it goes and keep my eye out on a deal for some fans. Is the factory wiring capable of handling the load of the twin 16's?
Old 11-22-2017, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have to cook gumbo for the family tonight so going to just block out Friday to work on things.

I got paranoid so ordered some goodies:

TiAL MV-R wastegate and Q 50 BOV.
AEM "Failsafe" combo Boost, AFR, Ethanol content gauge
Thermal Zero "Lava" heat sheathing in various sizes

I don't mean to knock the On3 parts; they are selling what looks and feels like a pretty damn good MV-R and Q reproduction and the pair costs less than either one of the name-brand items. If you compare closely, one can easily see quality advantages to the more expensive parts. A couple are apparent in the photos. The o-ring on the On3 BOV is a bit small for the ring and was a pain to keep on there while assembling. You can see the difference in the ring that comes with each; I'll keep the TiAL version around in case I ever have issues with the part already on my hotside. Functionally the same and probably for my purposes, both would work just fine for many miles.

I'm sure if I went the distance with it I'd find other things. Let me know if anyone wants me to compare anything else before I put the On3 parts up for sale.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mercier
Good to know. I will see how it goes and keep my eye out on a deal for some fans. Is the factory wiring capable of handling the load of the twin 16's?
oh gosh no, you really do need to get their recommended relays. I thought i would get away using 4 40A relays to spread the load but it just cooked them. I bought the spal relay kits on ebay for 109 each, it was more cost effective in the long run.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Im running the stock spring in my wastegate (7 lbs) and it runs strong; although I do get boost creep up to about 9 Lbs, curious to know how that Tial works out.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Where’s the wg dump too? Or does it connect back to the dp?
Old 11-23-2017, 05:31 PM
Launching!

Free air dump
Old 11-24-2017, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Choda
Where’s the wg dump too? Or does it connect back to the dp?
Originally Posted by RySmDPT14
Free air dump
That is correct. I honestly didn't think about it when shopping. Would have preferred some muffled connection I think but I'll wait and see how loud it is.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:05 PM
Launching!

My open air dump for the wastegate isn’t loud at all
The following users liked this post:
Mercier (11-24-2017)