Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on freshening up my truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Need advice on freshening up my truck

MY truck is in my garage right now for a tranny rebuild. I dont have the money to buy all the parts and everything just yet, so I figured while it was down I could freshen it up a bit.

1. Can I wet sand and/or polish these marks out? I know some are water spots but some look like the clear coat is peeling or something.

is there anyway to restore the plastic and brighten it up again, or just pretty much keep putting armor all or something on it? what is a good product to use?

should I just buy a new trim piece, or just remove it and re-do the adhesive? can I buy one of these painted?

Old 06-04-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the tail lights, wet sand and buff to a nice finish or wet sand and clear them, clearing is the best way cause just like headlights the sun affects bare plastic, personally i'd lightly tint them and clear .

far as all your plastics have you considering having them painted? itd def look 1000 times better to have them color matched IMO
Old 06-04-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

what grit would I start and finish with when I wet sand?

what do you mean by clear them, like a protecive coating?

as far as the plastics, I am going to start with the rear and work my way towards the front. I am going to order a pre-painted tailgate handle and bezel to match.

I am wondering if I can order the tailgate cap already painted, or would I have to sand it myself and have it painted. Or would it look better without a cap at all?

as far as the bumper, I just want to clean it up the best I can. I think eventually I may get a roll pan.

my truck is in really good shape, but its been a year or more since I have paid really close attention to the small stuff. I dont plan on selling it for a long time, if ever. I want to maintain it before its too late and I have to spend a bunch of money just to make it look decent.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

grit starting with would depend if they have deep scratches or not, start with 1000, then step up to 1500. far as polishing/waxing to gain the gloss is up to you if you leave them on the truck or rather hold them yourself. same as hand or using a buffer, i prefer to do it by hand cause i dont want to heat the plastic up too much with a buffer if you use a buffer i wouldnt go past 1500 rpms myself.

and yea i was refering to clear coat, you can buy it in a spray can for about 6 bucks at any parts store or you can go get some for a spray gun, ive done both and both work well. itll help to keep the sun from fading the plastic again.

i like the cap myself helps to keep from looking like every other truck, to my knowledge they dont have them pre-painted from factory, itd be just as cheap to have it painted or do it yourself. its not hard at all. just wash it good with soap and water, sand with 400 grit, use a high build primer, sand that with 320 or 400 to smooth out, them spray base coat and clear coat and your done. they have the 3m tape at any parts store to put it back on

just to give you a idea if you was to do it yourself

clear for both tail lights and tailgate cap $6 for spray can kind. they have the white also in spray can at parts stores $6, high build is also in spray can $6 , sand paper 1000 $3, 1500 $3, 400 $3 , then 3m tape is $4. so round about $31 for both , then taxes , thats just a estimate though just to give a idea.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

cool, thanks dude.

there are no scratches on the lights at all, just the weathering.

I just want to repair the lights, the front lights, paint match the tailgate and door handles, and eventually get painted Cal Vu mirrors. Also get a white grill emblem, but leave the stock grill. I saw it once and it was super clean.

after this I have to clay the whole car and do 1 or 2 cut compounds and then polish/wax. the hard water from the sprinklers etched into the clear coat and I have been putting it off for nearly two years.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the black plastic i know there is stuff they make called "back to black" that is suppose to fix that but idk how well it will do I think mothers makes it
Old 06-05-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

Default Taillights are done!

the second one turned out better than the first. The first one I sanded with 1500 only, then compound polished with PoorBoy's 3, 2.5 and 1.

the second one I started with 1000 then finished with 1500, then the same compounds. starting lower smoothed everything out and prepared it for the next steps. the first one there is noticeable imperfections but only if youre an inch away.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Those tails turned out nice! Adams polishes has some awesome stuff to get that plastic looking good, its called VRT.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

looks good man. in my opinion though you should of just went to a 03 up silverado taillight . Still turned out nice though.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KDavis04ss
looks good man. in my opinion though you should of just went to a 03 up silverado taillight . Still turned out nice though.
I thought about it, but I prefer these.

the downside is the whole truck needs the same thing

Quick Reply: Need advice on freshening up my truck