Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Extraction Hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 02:05 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
I been rocking no hood for like a week. Pimp, the looks are even better that people give ya, esp the law man
Not sure I want the Law man noticing what I was previously hiding under my hood. Also not sure how much my engine bay would like to be exposed to 80-90mph winds for 3-4 hours at a time.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...4/#post4916188
Name:  c056cd1c.jpg
Views: 2169
Size:  87.6 KB
Old 09-07-2012, 02:09 AM
GFYS and STFU

That's pretty sweet, never seen that particular hood yet. There's someone else who put the 07.5-12 NBSS style HD vents on his 03-07 Silvy. Can't recall the members name or the thread it was in.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do you already have a blanket on the exhaust housing and the piping feeding it wrapped?
Old 09-07-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
...however there is a hood that not only has an intake like that but vents on either side that act as heat extractors.
Keystone makes that hood. I was pondering that hood for a while as it is the closest thing to the old Pro-Glass SS style RA hood. I saw one on a Tahoe at a show a couple years ago and the fit and finish on it was awful IMO.

I plan on buying a HD hood and handing it over to Ramaro but I need to come up with something prior to hacking into it. The more I think about the reverse cowl the more I like it but like others said, it can be made to look a bit too ricer-ish if I don't be careful.
I shared an idea in John's HD hood thread about cutting vents in the front and the rear of the hood. In theory, this would allow a steady stream of fresh air along the hood surface thus creating a savaging effect on the under-hood heat and evacuating it. Something would have to be done for water deflection if you plan to drive in rain though.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:33 PM
GFYS and STFU

Originally Posted by Random User
Do you already have a blanket on the exhaust housing and the piping feeding it wrapped?
I've done alot to try to miniminze the heat transfer. All the hot parts are ceramic coated...twice actually. I've used the expensive Titanium and CF exhaust wrap but that ended up burning and flaking off. Haven't done heat shields yet but the best thing that I've done to this point is rip out the fender liner on the passenger side. That seemed to allow the heat to escape somewhere and the improved airflow through the engine bay. The Turbo does have a turbo blanket and that seems to do a decent job, I'd like to wrap the headers in that type of blanket but I'd have a hard time getting to the spark plugs because it's already such a tight fit.

Originally Posted by BigKID
Keystone makes that hood. I was pondering that hood for a while as it is the closest thing to the old Pro-Glass SS style RA hood. I saw one on a Tahoe at a show a couple years ago and the fit and finish on it was awful IMO.
Yup, that was the hood. I really liked that hood as well and always wanted to see one on a truck but nobody really uses it for some reason. Sucks to hear they don't fit worth a damn though.

Originally Posted by BigKID
I shared an idea in John's HD hood thread about cutting vents in the front and the rear of the hood. In theory, this would allow a steady stream of fresh air along the hood surface thus creating a savaging effect on the under-hood heat and evacuating it. Something would have to be done for water deflection if you plan to drive in rain though.
Yeah, I remember you saying that. It's a good idea, and might do something similar. Right now I'm leaning towards cutting up a hood and getting it done exactly how I think it would be most helpful, just have to make sure it doesn't look like *** though.

Last edited by Spoolin; 09-07-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the exhaust manifold ceramic coated at Poly Dyn then used Turbo Performance Products blankets and had them make me a blanket for my hot pipe between chargers. The one you see is my secondary charger, the primary was about twice it's size. It was a T6 1.32 AR housing. Those things got HOT before the blankets. After I added them underhood temps went so far down it's unreal. I could drive for hours, pop the hood and hold my hand on the top charger's blanket. They use 1" thick ceramic fiber for the insulation and silicone cloth for the cover. Very well priced too. If you give Levi measurements he can build you a blanket for your whole header/hot pipes or whatever else needs covering.
They work....very well. Plus you get the added benefit of quicker spool due to the heat being retained in the piping much better than any coating you can do.

These have been on this truck for almost 3 years...makes 927 hp at the wheels.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:23 PM
rj2
Launching!

I dont know how handy you are when it comes to body work. If your not super confident get it cut and welded and kinda roughed up unfinished form. Get it as close to how you want it as you can just doing the metal work. Then take ot to a trusted body guy amd let him work some magic. I think one off stuff is cool if its done right. Seems like people are having a hard time knowing whats the best or works but looks good. Build something functional and good looking and be proud of it. Amd it will be YOURS because you built it.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:59 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

someone in the houston area has a nice cowl hood for sale cheap. find them, buy the hood, then turn them in for the $500 reward.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:01 PM
GFYS and STFU

Originally Posted by Random User
I had the exhaust manifold ceramic coated at Poly Dyn then used Turbo Performance Products blankets and had them make me a blanket for my hot pipe between chargers. The one you see is my secondary charger, the primary was about twice it's size. It was a T6 1.32 AR housing. Those things got HOT before the blankets. After I added them underhood temps went so far down it's unreal. I could drive for hours, pop the hood and hold my hand on the top charger's blanket. They use 1" thick ceramic fiber for the insulation and silicone cloth for the cover. Very well priced too. If you give Levi measurements he can build you a blanket for your whole header/hot pipes or whatever else needs covering.
They work....very well. Plus you get the added benefit of quicker spool due to the heat being retained in the piping much better than any coating you can do.

These have been on this truck for almost 3 years...makes 927 hp at the wheels.

I can't see any of the blankets that your referring to in the picture of your Cummins, that is a single or a compound?
Here's the amount of hot parts that I would have to cover, it's really quite a collection of pipes, and this doesn't include the 4" DP that accounts for quite a bit of heat as well...

Name:  CIMG4750.jpg
Views: 1834
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  CIMG4746.jpg
Views: 1869
Size:  79.6 KB

Name:  CIMG4741.jpg
Views: 1852
Size:  83.9 KB

Name:  CIMG4744.jpg
Views: 1842
Size:  80.1 KB