Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Extraction Hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 10:32 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Random User
A normal cowl hood doesn't move air out...they move air in. The design was always to draw in cool air from the low pressure area at the base of the windshield to feed carbs back in the day.
Yup yup, most people think it works as an exit for engine air but it works the other way!
But anything that would improve airflow in the engine bay is why I posted that one up.

Originally Posted by Random User
What about keeping the hood you have and running a pair of OEM Lincoln Mk8 or Ford Taurus e-fans? As far as I can find there's nothing else out there that pull as many CFM...4000 each...if those were running all the time and you had them sealed up tight to the radiator then sealed your intercooler to the radiator they would be forced to draw straight across the core. A buddy of mine has a pair on a diesel truck pulling through the radiator, trans cooler, AC condenser and an IC and they'll hold a pair of leather work gloves to the IC when they're running.
I was impressed.
I'm not having too much of an issue with IAT, Coolant temps or oil temps, it's mostly the fact that my engine bay is really really HOT! I have a tubular front mount Turbo with the equivilant of 30feet of hot parts running through my engine and it's previously melted some wiring looms, fender liners, clips and anything plastic really. I pulled the inner fender out of the passenger side and it's considerably helped reduce some of the melting but I imagine with some kind of heat extracting function would be even better.
And the added benefit of it would be to promote airflow across the heat-exchangers.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 PM
rj2
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the hex vents would work great and look decent. And with your color scheme painted the same black as your stripe would look decent. And is it too hot constantly or is it only under certain conditions like in town stop and go amd track or just all the time no matter what
Old 09-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 766 Likes on 634 Posts

How about the Ram Air style hood
Attached Thumbnails Heat Extraction Hood-ram-air.jpg   Heat Extraction Hood-sing-ram.jpg  
Old 09-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sphhhhhhh just take the hood off completely
Old 09-07-2012, 12:56 AM
GFYS and STFU

Originally Posted by rj2
...And is it too hot constantly or is it only under certain conditions like in town stop and go amd track or just all the time no matter what
It's always hot all the time no matter what, not because my coolant system is inadaquate because the truck is within temp, it's just the heat from the Turbo kit radiates everywhere and effects everything. And since the hood acts as a big lid it just keeps the heat in and cooks everything that's in the engine bay. I often pop the hood when I get home or to a friends house just to allow the engine bay to cool off faster, and it would be nice to just have that done naturally.

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
How about the Ram Air style hood
Never liked those to be honest, however there is a hood that not only has an intake like that but vents on either side that act as heat extractors.

I plan on buying a HD hood and handing it over to Ramaro but I need to come up with something prior to hacking into it. The more I think about the reverse cowl the more I like it but like others said, it can be made to look a bit too ricer-ish if I don't be careful.

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Sphhhhhhh just take the hood off completely
Thought about doing that actually!! I'm driving 350 miles with my truck tomorrow and thought I would just leave the hood at home!! But decided against it.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:02 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 766 Likes on 634 Posts

Will the 350 include a trip past my house???
Old 09-07-2012, 01:03 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I been rocking no hood for like a week. Pimp, the looks are even better that people give ya, esp the law man
Old 09-07-2012, 01:48 AM
GFYS and STFU

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Will the 350 include a trip past my house???
Yes...I'm actually on the phone with you and debating whether I should tell you in person that I'm driving by your house.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:01 AM
GFYS and STFU

Crap...I should of kept it to myself that I was driving by your house!!

You damn ******!
Old 09-07-2012, 02:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
I like the normal cowl hood over the others. Maybe even do them vent's posted up in a stock hood.
There was a member on here that was going to do vents in his stock hood, not sure how it ever turned out. I think it was V502 or something? Can't find the thread I am thinking about..

Quick Reply: Heat Extraction Hood