SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolest crew cab interior mod yet!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I really like the rear buckets you added, and I agree that the factory bench lacks a great deal in the comfort department. Very cool modification and I’m also like you in that I like to mix and match components from other upscale models or even different year models, but I like for them to look like they were either always there or should’ve been from the factory. Something that would have people wondering what was up, but not able to really pin-point that you did anything.

I don’t know if the console lid from an ‘01/’02 Sierra or Yukon Denali will fit the regular consoles or not. If it would, I’m like you and think it would be the nicer way to go, that and besides being leather wrapped, I do like the little cubby hole under the top lid that opens up as well, especially in your case where you have the stealth box taking up space in the bottom. In regards to one of your other questions, looking in relation to the seats, I don’t necessarily think I would lower it any, but to get rid of the gap at the bottom, I wonder how it would look if you where to make a contoured wood filler base and the carpeted it to match the rest of the floor. As far as aft / forward positioning, I would probably look at the console lid opening placement in relation to the front seats and somewhat get the rear console placed to match it if at all possible and the adjust it if it seems like it would feel or look better one way or another.

I’ve included a picture of my interior that shows the style of my console lid, too bad it’s not a more direct picture or a little closer up, but maybe you can sort of see what’s going on.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good. i would add a skirt to that console tho so you dont see that bracket.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:45 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks Jarrod, great suggestions. Yea I need to make a skirt for it, and obviously cover up the hole on the front of it where all the electronics and HVAC ran through from the factory.

I also love that wood grain steering wheel with the Denali black wood, but they're so damn pricey it's ridiculous!!

My biggest concern would be that the latch is in the same spot for that lid. I could see them being very similar to make production that much more simple for GM, but by the same token it's a very very different console. It's a much nicer lid though, and of course being from a Denali it matches my interior perfectly.

And as far as seeing the bracket, you can't see the seat hardware unless you bend over in the back seat. The angle I took that picture from is not one you would ever normally find your head at lol. I do agree it should be cleaned a little though. This was really a first pass at it.

Does anyone know what I'd be getting into with the factory wiring for the rear heated seats?

Last edited by Vortec350ss; 11-26-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:17 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good to me. Love the look but the loss of the bench wouldn't work for me. I love the captins chairs in my Tahoe but ideally need a bench for th extra seat.

I would think the console would look best against the back wall but might not be functional
Old 11-26-2013, 03:55 PM

I think I'm gonna try bringing it back about .5 to 1" and bring it up about the same. I spent some time looking at the location of the factory console in an 02, and I will try to replicate that location as much as possible. I gotta say though... its not far off at all.

here's a pic for reference:
Old 11-27-2013, 05:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been wanting to do this forever, what are you plans for the front of the console?

I would try to make a plate that fits over that awkward front part of the console, and mount the factory switches on that plate!
Old 11-27-2013, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by texasglock23
I've been wanting to do this forever, what are you plans for the front of the console?

I would try to make a plate that fits over that awkward front part of the console, and mount the factory switches on that plate!
Thanks! Good suggestion. The problem is that the JL stealth box sits right up against that opening. If i make a plastic plate to sit flush there will be no space behind it. I was leaning toward putting it on the side of the console right by the cup holders.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you had access to another console in the same color, so that the faux grain and so on matched, it wouldn’t matter if it was otherwise damaged (probably be helpful if it was so it would be less expensive if not free), then you could just cut out a section of it for your new panel, attach it and go on living a happy life with your new stylish interior modifications.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:24 PM

Yea the console came with the front piece... so that's exactly what I'm gonna do.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

You’ve gotten this far, you might as well go all out and add the heated / cooled cup holders front and rear now. I’m sort of joking, but it would be cool nonetheless. I was also thinking about the little cubby hole right in front of the cup holders, beings it doesn’t really serve a great function, you may be able to fill it in with ABS and place the switches there if you didn’t like them on the sides. Decisions, decisions, whatever you do I’m sure it’ll turn out great. Also, just as a thought, looking at the bottom of my factory console, the lower part is more like a panel covered in something more like a gray suede type material and not carpet, which may be easier to do.

Also, I forgot to mention earlier, I picked up my steering wheel back in the later part of ’01 or early ’02 from a now defunct company called JP Customs in Houston. Too bad he went under, because he had a lot of cool stuff that was right up your and my alley, as most of his stuff was upgraded components from other up-scale GM vehicles.

Quick Reply: Coolest crew cab interior mod yet!