SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complete Paint Jobs. Who's had them done???

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. The first complete paint job is the Pewter in my sig, I wish I would have went down to the body shop and inspected the bodywork prior to paint being sprayed, I also believe a timeline NEEDS to be set in stone.

2.As mentioned, same as factory

3. I regret not doing a "punch list" before it goy sprayed, and setting a completion date. Also what I have learned recently and formed MY OWN opinion on is the cut/buff process. Alot of shops can make a decent paint job look great by wet sanding/buffing. This time (My truck just got sprayed Cyber Mettalic Grey) I requested a 2200 grit wet sand over the 2.5 mil of clear (approx 5 coats) I think they normally start with 1500 grit which takes off more clear, making your clear thinner...Good luck

ALSO, as far a colors go..Paint chips will only confuse you, pick your color from another oem vehicle..GOOD LUCK
Old 05-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Well I have never really had a "New truck" so the paint always had some issues here and there. I have used wax , done some light buffing and polishing but never really spent any time in the detail department maintaining it. I Am good with the knowledge I have on the Paint and body Job side, Its just the detailing and how to properly maintain it. I have seen nice paint jobs ruined over using the wrong products.

We now have Microfiber Towels and tons of new products to clean and maintain the finish.

I know you always want to use clean microfiber towels and quality polishes and cleaners.
Its also best to do it in the shade and not in direct sun light.

But what are you guys doing to maintain the finish??? Are you bucket Washing and hand drying??? Do you apply wax or polish once a month, longer, or shorter??? are you doing it buy hand or are you using power tools???

I don't plan on using power washers or compressed air around it. If I used compressed air like around the mirrors it would be very low PSI and I would be like one of those safety blowers.

I know in some Area's you guys have really Hard Water with High TDS. I have not checked my levels in my area but I know Its not nearly as bad as some of the places I have been for work.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by RibeiroBJJ
ALSO, as far a colors go..Paint chips will only confuse you, pick your color from another oem vehicle..GOOD LUCK
Some Lady side swiped My DD so now they both need Paint Jobs...

Sticking with the stock Color on both Trucks, just adding my own tweak to it.