PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/show-shine-discussion-129/)
-   -   Complete Paint Jobs. Who's had them done??? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/show-shine-discussion-129/complete-paint-jobs-whos-had-them-done-501601/)

1FastBrick 05-09-2012 08:37 PM

Complete Paint Jobs. Who's had them done???

Ok so I have been around the body shop industry and I know whats involved in painting a vehicle. I am no concerned with cost involved or places to go. I have that end of it covered. I would just like some more info from people who have done it or had it done to there vehicle.

I recently bought and fixed another Silverado that I can modify and drive on the weekends. This is Not to Resale so I don't mind having the entire truck repainted and fixing all the little dents and scratches. More recently I have been hanging on to vehicles alot longer so that I don't have to make payments and so that I can save and spend as needed elsewhere.

Now here is were the questions come in. I have never owned any thing that was completely repainted or had to maintain it. Those of you that have had it done,

1. What has your experience been like after having it done???

2. How often do find that you have to wax or polish the Paint if the vehicle sits out side???

3. Any regrets, lessons learned, or things you wish you would have done differently???

:cheers:

06murder 05-09-2012 08:50 PM

If you use pp g 893 you don't have wax it it keep its shin...its anit cheap 600 dollars for the clear kit...but it awesome shit....put three coats and that crap hard as he'll to wet sand..I have it on my 91 silverado, had and expensive job done to it lik8000 paint job that I didn't myself n buddy....if I was n didn't care bout cost 893 pp g clear, reducer and harder will run 4-600

1FastBrick 05-10-2012 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by 06murder (Post 4918916)
If you use pp g 893 you don't have wax it it keep its shin...its anit cheap 600 dollars for the clear kit...but it awesome shit....put three coats and that crap hard as he'll to wet sand..I have it on my 91 silverado, had and expensive job done to it lik8000 paint job that I didn't myself n buddy....if I was n didn't care bout cost 893 pp g clear, reducer and harder will run 4-600

Glad your happy with the products you used. I am not so so much concerned with that end of a complete paint job.

I am more concerned about taking care of the paint job. Like the detailing it and how often its typically done. I would like to protect my investment. In the past I have used Meguiar's products but as soon as the factory clear coat started failing I stopped takeing care of the paint other then the basic wash here and there.

wheeliE-maxx 05-10-2012 12:34 PM

Collinite 845 or fleet wax lasts a very long time.

NHolds 05-10-2012 04:17 PM

Maintaining a repaint is the same as a factory paint job.

Chevy Cowboy 05-10-2012 11:59 PM

agreed with NHolds

DTHPROOF 05-11-2012 09:06 AM

X3... Just be more cautious with washing with your new investment. 3 bucket wash, blow dry what you can, and use quality microfibers when wiping.

1bad2k 05-12-2012 02:22 AM

If you have a reputable painter, it shouldn't be any more difficult to care for than stock paint. I have buffed plenty of factory and aftermarket paint jobs. If good quality products are use and applied correctly, you won't have problems. If you're looking for longevity on protection skip the wax and go with a man made synthetic polymer. I love Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant.

2doorfury 05-12-2012 02:40 AM

i use lucas slick mist in between washes. this stuff works awesome. ive used other spray waxes and they leave streaks.

Mangled03gmc 05-12-2012 03:02 AM

Taking care of a good aftermarket one is just like the orig fact deal. Unless some junk was used on it.