SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cast aluminum detail question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 03:19 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

i tried the brass brush. this damn waffle maker pattern stamped in the top is a PITA to get into. I need to just find a joe gibbs engine cover and hide it.

If everything goes my way, the camaro should be back on the ground by Sunday. If so, i'll focus my attn to cleaning up the blower and ordering the rest of the parts to get it in my truck. i'm tempted to break out the pressure washer and just blast the damn thing with some purple power.

Last edited by TXsilverado; 02-13-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

I vote for the walnut shells. Out of all the suggestions, it's the only one that won't damage the areas that it gets into that you didn't intend it to. Even purple power will damage aluminum.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 343 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
i tried the brass brush. this damn waffle maker pattern stamped in the top is a PITA to get into. I need to just find a joe gibbs engine cover and hide it.

If everything goes my way, the camaro should be back on the ground by Sunday. If so, i'll focus my attn to cleaning up the blower and ordering the rest of the parts to get it in my truck. i'm tempted to break out the pressure washer and just blast the damn thing with some purple power.
Originally Posted by MikeGyver
I vote for the walnut shells. Out of all the suggestions, it's the only one that won't damage the areas that it gets into that you didn't intend it to. Even purple power will damage aluminum.
What he said ^

Please do not use purple power. IIRC, Simple Green is safe for aluminum but the purple stuff will eat it.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:12 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Have you tried calling Brian? He may have some old parts laying around.

Maybe Gunk Brand "foamy engine cleaner" I use that in dirty engine bays and sometimes to clean parts and it doesn't stain the aluminum.

Spray it on and let it do its thing then rinse it off. For heavy stuff might need a nylon or soft bristle brush to knock it loose
Old 02-16-2019, 12:38 AM

Wellllll **** lol. I broke it down, cleaned it, and it came out good. I bolted a license plate to protect the intern when blasting. After it was blasted i went to pull the rotors to clean them, check it out etc...when pulling them i had to turn them to get them out og the case. Wtf?

the bolts i used to hold the license plate down were a hair too long and distorted the inside where the rotors ride.

Thinking about drilling all the way through the bolt holes into the case, then use an angle drill to countersink the holes. Any better suggestions?

Old 02-16-2019, 12:43 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

I would use a die grinder or a dremel with a cartridge roll to take the high spot out. Not sure I would drill all the way through myself.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I would use a die grinder or a dremel with a cartridge roll to take the high spot out. Not sure I would drill all the way through myself.
you cant see in the pics, but there are small cracks around them. If i attempt to take the high spots down it will probably result in loose bpieces floating around.

anything else i should do to this thing while i have it down this far? Spacer? Any good spots to port on without investing too much time?
Old 02-16-2019, 12:56 AM

I feel like i should give all my tools away...
Old 02-16-2019, 12:56 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

you cant see in the pics, but there are small cracks around them. If i attempt to take the high spots down it will probably result in loose bpieces floating around.

anything else i should do to this thing while i have it down this far? Spacer? Any good spots to port on without investing too much time?
Then drill away and make sure there are no high spots. might want to seal the bolts that go in those holes.

Not sure what rotor pack that uses. If TVS your good but if old MP style bad. Old MP style are no longer available TVS style are if you have an issue.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:57 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

I feel like i should give all my tools away...

Stop using Meth and Blowing trannies...

Quick Reply: cast aluminum detail question