PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Yet another turbo build...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Yet another turbo build...

Well, I've been contemplating a turbo kit ever since KB and trick started advertising their stuff on here (07-08ish?). Finally pulled the trigger on a KB, great guy to work with.

Setup as follows:

2002 LQ9 10.5:1 CR
Ported 317s
222/226 .600" 113
E85
Fuel pump and injectors to be determined. I've been waiting on these new drop in pumps supposedly coming soon, but otherwise will just go with a Lonnie's double pumper setup.
EFI live by me.
Truck has the hydroboost swap (best performance mod for the money by far)
Stock 05 4l80e/Stock TC (will go to a Yank triple disk once I determine what stall speed will work best with this setup).
4.10 gears, Trutrac.

S475 83mm turbine 1.0 A/R
4" downpipe
50mm JGS wastegate
standard 50mm BOV
Cold side is build to accomodate clutch fan/shroud.
5" CAI/5" K&N air filter
All hot parts are wrapped in DEI titanium wrap.
TR6 spark plugs

On to pics:

5" CAI

Fittings secured on the turbo (all NPT fittings sealed with permatex hi-temp sealant)

I'll be pulling the pan to tap it, I'm still debating on where I should put the drain, but I'm pretty sure I'll be placing it on the passenger side of the pan above the oil level sensor.

Hot parts wrapped. Godspeed T6 ebay turbo blanket.

Front end pulled off:

Off with the old:

Well, ran into my first "problem". Apparently I have the old style AC line. The log isn't even close to clearing the pipe. I'm going to try and bend it tomorrow and hopefully it doesn't crack. It seems pretty stout. I'm actually considering just removing the A/C all together since I rarely use it. Or just have a custom AC line made if I can't bend it appropriately.

Well that's all for today, made good progress. Got the headers and catback off, spark plugs changed out, and driver's manifold on. Working on a dropped truck is kind of a bitch, loved just being able to crawl under the truck at any time at stock height.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm all in for this built.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read on a couple of threads that the Titanium wrap is no good. I've had the DEI black for a few months and seems to be holding up just fine, hope you have better luck with it then others. I also have a KB kit great guy to work with and nothing but help and ideas from him. You might wrap you a/c line if you keep it, heard of ppl having it explode. Lol. I have my drain on the passenger side above the sensor had a little issue clearing the starter but worked.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In for this build. Looks like its going to be fun. How much boost do you want to hit with that much compression?
Old 12-22-2012, 11:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have the same AC.
Just start bending it at the bottom and work your way up. Very small adjustments close together. Mine has triple layered wrap right there and its not touching. Just be easy with jt and go slow.

My drain goes straight down off the turbo, weaves by the AC lines, and a few 45* fittings and it goes into the pan on a small standoff. Works great.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would like to see some pics of how much clearance you were able to get on the a/c lines.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pollo432
I've read on a couple of threads that the Titanium wrap is no good. I've had the DEI black for a few months and seems to be holding up just fine, hope you have better luck with it then others. I also have a KB kit great guy to work with and nothing but help and ideas from him. You might wrap you a/c line if you keep it, heard of ppl having it explode. Lol. I have my drain on the passenger side above the sensor had a little issue clearing the starter but worked.
Damn, I read nothing but good reviews on this stuff. Its supposedly has impregnated lava rock for higher heat handling. I'll be pissed if it fails given the cost of the stuff.

As far as the ac line goes i bought dei cool tape for it.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read the same thing too about the heat wrap, I forget what it said though. I went with the normal wrap and silicone spray and no issues yet, although I've only put a couple thousand miles on it. Good luck on the install, you'll love it when you're done.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:03 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool deal man , kit looks great . I'm gonna have turbo something again one of these after looking at all these cool builds .

So like asked how much boost you gonna run when your done ?
Old 12-23-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't really think about it in terms of boost levels, just power. Initial goal is just to get it up running reliably. Then it's 500-600-700 rwhp goals in slow steps with a lot of reading. It's already a H/C 364 so I shouldn't imagine it would take much boost to get to 500.

Also forgot, I'll be using the NGK AFX wideband. It costs more than the more common AEM, Innovate, etc. stuff but it uses the proprietary NTK oxygen sensor which apparently is on par with much more expensive sensors.

Quick Reply: Yet another turbo build...