PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Spoolin's attempt to Spool...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 01:50 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by moregrip
man, I've been wanting to dewax my frame f-o-r-e-v-e-r!!! Good job Spivey!!!
Thanks Devin! I've had to restrain myself from tearing this whole truck apart, especially the wiring! I have the same desire to redo it same as you did on yours, however it's not in the cards for this truck.

Originally Posted by dhpro
That truck looks awesome Julien! I really like the exhaust out the panel...is it one on each side or just the single?

They exit each side, they Y righ after the tranny. Looks cool on cold mornings when it's coming out!! Lol
Old 12-24-2010, 05:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whatdidya do about the gas tank on the drivers side?
Old 12-24-2010, 05:35 AM
GFYS and STFU

If your asking about the older system, the exhaust went around the tank and the frame.
If your asking about how I'm gonna route this system post 133 answers that question.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Spoolin
I've conceded the fact that I'm gonna need to put an additional crossmember behind the tank. I really shouldn't of cut it out in the first place but big whoop, I'll just put one back in. As far as it being removable, I could but also the tank drops straight down so whether it's permanent or not doesn't really matter too much. But that would make things easier when I tear into the truck, I'll keep it in mind.

When I did my fuel cell install I boxed the frame at the new x-member points for the extra rgidity and security if I would ever be rear ended, just thinking out loud.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spoolin
If your asking about the older system, the exhaust went around the tank and the frame.
If your asking about how I'm gonna route this system post 133 answers that question.
Got it! Looks really cool...whatchya doin about that rear end? I've been playin with the idea of going to the 07+ 14bolt like SuperSub did...just put my 4th 10bolt back together!:nunchuk1:
PS...when ur kids are teenagers, u find urself waiting for them to wake up oin Christmas morning!!!!
Old 12-25-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should add some kind of brace back there. I don't think the tank and bumper are enough and I don't think you should rely on them. I have seen production cars ( crown vics ) burst into flames after being rear ended when the tank gets ruptured in a rear collision. Its not going to add much weight and it will give you a little piece of mind.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Originally Posted by Dezert1500
DLT he has an 80e, sounds like you had a 60e. Different beast when installing both together since the 80e is bigger.
I was able to do it when I installed my 420 and 80e together and then slid the tcase on once I got the crank pulley below the core support. No biggie just have to be careful and I did it all by myself
Old 12-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Was looking through my photobucket for pics to help Atomic on his tcase problem and I came across of a pic of how I did the engine/80e install by myself

Thats when I was testing to see if it could be done, later on I did it with a complete longblock. The truck wasnt jacked up but since your truck is a lowered 2wd you would have to jack your truck up some to get the ground clearance under the trans tunnel.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:02 PM
GFYS and STFU

So, not much in the name of progress but I did manage to get up off my lazy *** and get a few things done. I took care of that elbow that was hitting the Steering rack...

Ended up dropping the steering rack just a smidgen, enough to be able to unscrew the elbow from the bottom of the pan...

And put a plug in it and JB welded it on the threads and after it was in, just in case.

I've since cleaned the pan up with some Brake-lean and it's looking all shiny and new again. All the gunk that was down there happened when I hauled the engine to my house, was a dirty trailer.
BTW the steering rack had to be torqued down to 132 ft/lbs!
When I got that tightened back down I re-torqued the engine mount bolts just to see if that elbow really did get in the way and I was able to get a good turn and a half out of some of the bolts.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn fitting made our day hell. looking good mang

Quick Reply: Spoolin's attempt to Spool...