PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Spoolin's attempt to Spool...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 03:17 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Spoolin's attempt to Spool...

It's me again!!! Well I'm back at it, can't say I just started working on it because I've been chipping away at it from time to time but here's a quick run-down of the what I have and what I'm doing.
Hopefully, I should have it finished in a couple months. I have most everything I need, just waiting on a few key parts. However I work slow and have a penchant for breaking bolts and stuff so don't get mad at me if it takes me into Jan/Feb to finish it!

First off here's the truck...
It's a 2001 Regular Cab Short Bed Chevy Silverado. It has a 3/5 drop, HD front end conversion, custom flat/satin paint job, powder coated SSS rims, Massive Wilwood brakes, and a few other things!

Here's a quick vid of when it was an N/A truck...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dw0x_PlUUE

So after a year of being N/A, I'm now putting a snail back on it. I bought this custom built turbo kit from CurtD, the quality and design of the kit were fantastic and couldn't resist buying it from him.

Here's some pics of the passenger side manifold...

The Driver's side manifold...

Here they are mocked up in Curt's old truck...

Turbo specs are...
GT-42/02
T 4 Flange
110 AR
102 X Deucer

Motor specs are gonna be...
365ci LQ9
Custom pistons and rods
Trick heads
Edelbrock Pro Flo intake
And other misc go fast parts.

I'll post pics of the motor later as right now I'm still doing some prep work getting the frame ready for it.

Last edited by Spoolin; 11-25-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:18 AM
GFYS and STFU

Here's some pics of when I started tearing things apart...

Pulled the whole front end off so I would have lots of room to work with...

My old Crazy exhaust! That is now going bye bye! :wave:

This was what my rear frame looked like, I hated it because the wax got so ridiculously dirty and it made working under the truck a complete nightmare...

So recently I've been stripping it, I'm sure there's a handful of ways to do it but the method that I ended up using was...
-Jusco Paint/Epoxy stripper (Credit due to Lee "SLOXCAB" for coming up with that idea)
-Paint Brush
-Scrapper
-Brillo pad
-Squirt bottle full of 91 Octane gas.

This is what it looks like right now...

Here's an idea of how good this method takes off wax...

Note of warning, the Paint/Epoxy remover will eat through anything not metal so don't touch anything else, such as wiring harness, clips, body of the truck, etc... Here's what it did the the plastic container I had initially used, I did not think it would eat it as fast as it did but it melted it in about 15-20 minutes.

(Safety first right!! It was about as much use as that first aid kit ever got)

And you might of noticed there's a few things missing from the back-end of the truck.
I pulled out and threw away the stock gas tank and had a custom one made. I also ripped out the stock front hangers, cross-member that supported the gas tank as well as the rear cross member that used to support the spare tire.

I had not initially planned on removing the rear-most cross member, but clearance issues required me to modify it and in the end I got a little carried away with the sawzall and grinder.
My justification, (if it's even valid at this point) is that the bumper in a sense acts as an additional crossmember when bolted up between the frame rails. Also this truck does not tow as it has no tow package right now, nor do I use it to haul 2000lbs of cement on a daily basis.
Anyone have any opinions on this? I could box the frame rails or just weld that crossmember back in but facing the other way if need be but I don't think it will be necessary, yet at least.

I still have a little bit of de-waxing do up in the engine bay but I should be painting it tomorrow if all goes well.

Last edited by Spoolin; 11-25-2010 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:21 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Still a sweet looking ride. What's it run now, you taken it to the track while N/A?

And yeah, that undercoating is just nasty
Old 11-22-2010, 03:52 AM
GFYS and STFU

I did take it to the track a while back but it wasn't anything great. The motor that I had in there was a low compression motor that I beat to death when it had been previously boosted. Turns out I had detonated one whole bank of that motor to death! I had some serious blow-by and melted a few of the forged pistons because of it!
It still was able to chug itself down the track at 14.0 @ 104mph. It had a lot of top end!
Old 11-22-2010, 06:54 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good man, in for the build, this trucks going to haul *** for sure and look good doing it.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep up the progress. I know how much fun it is removing the two rear x-members and then clean the frame
Old 11-22-2010, 08:10 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see a lot of hard work starting to reward.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looking forward to seeing your results! Awesome build as always, cant wait for some videos
Old 11-22-2010, 09:22 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow man where do i start,?

Your truck is def different and very very cool . Me likey!!! Reminds me of airforce attack plane, very stealthy appearence.

The craftsmanship on those headers looks very high quality, WOW those are nice.

Damn i bet your arms are tired from scrapeing the frame! Looks great though.

When its done its gonna look like it should be at SEMA. Nice work!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Gonna be so sick when its done

Quick Reply: Spoolin's attempt to Spool...