PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

something way different!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default something way different!

now that i built the truck for the friend, its time for my project!

so this truck is something that ive wanted to do for a long time and havent seen anything like it yet. im taking this 2500 silverado and making it a rock truggy. plan on running atleast a 40" tall tire. exo cage, yanking the bed off the truck and sitting on coil overs all around with a link suspension. itll be a very slow build for me. I plan on keeping the truck street driveable with fully functioning a/c and heat as an all around weather rock crawler.

the frame off build on a 2004 Silverado completed

so i boutght this truck for the front sheet metal for the front end swap on the 04, split the cost and got this thing running with no reverse, and a trans that has first and the rest of the gears are just kind there at times. but its a 2000 with who knows how many miles, cluster has been swapped. 2500 with a 6.0, 4l80e trans, 14 bolt rear end

https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9

pulled the sheet metal for the 04

04 1/2 ton front end bolted right up to the core support of the 00 3/4 ton truck

started pulling the dash out

seats pulled and interior mostly out, found out it had no rear speakers lol

carpet and padding pulled
Old 04-08-2018, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Man, if only trucks were that "clean" here. It's a beat up old truck but ****, LOOK AT HOW CLEAN THE BODY IS STILL.

Crap here would have holes the size of bowling ***** at the rockers and rusted away bed sides.

Should be a neat project.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FFDP
Man, if only trucks were that "clean" here. It's a beat up old truck but ****, LOOK AT HOW CLEAN THE BODY IS STILL.

Crap here would have holes the size of bowling ***** at the rockers and rusted away bed sides.

Should be a neat project.
interior and bed is beat bad, one of the bed sides is actually falling off cause its broke at the pinch welds, but there is no signs of rust at all. forgot to mention i managed to pick this truck up for $700 considering i split the cost with the guy who got the front end
Old 04-09-2018, 08:03 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Heck yeah, you stole that thing.

Definitely in for the different.
This should be good.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

got a matching set of wheels and tires for rollers. my mom has a power wagon and got new wheels and tires so her old tires got thrown on this just so all 4 matched<br/>

picked up a front axle. its from a 3rd gen ram 2500 its an aam 9.25 and already has 4.56 gears. just have to do a free spin hub conversion to get rid of the unit bearings and put a selectable locker in

started pulling the bed, the rear bumper was tweaked so bad that even with everything unbolted i had to hook a chain and yank it off with my truck

pulled the rear tires off, sat it on jack stands and used the winch on the car hauler to yank the bed off since it was filled with nothing but scrap steel and was heavy as ****. seeing as the bed was already junk didnt care how damaged the bed was

bed removed

Old 06-21-2018, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

RCSB with a SAS?
Old 06-21-2018, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
RCSB with a SAS?
im building it into a crawler. but the truck is a 2500 so its starting as a long bed. i plan on shortening the wheel base and building a triangulated 4 link out back with coil overs and an exo cage like this

Old 06-21-2018, 07:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

Badass! I'm surprised I dont see as many of these cheap 2500s built for hardcore off roading. Like you said the 6.0, 4l80, and corp14 are a great combo.

Cant wait to watch the build.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

main dash support removed
Pulled the BCM and complete Cab harness
Removed everything related to the air bag system, and excess wires for options this truck does not have and the factory speaker wires

i got super lucky and came across a buddy replacing an engine in a 07 silverado and managed to score the heads off the core engine and send the iron heads back with the core
something later on, but managed to score a 28 gallon fuel cell for $120 and it doesnt leak