PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Project "Rebel Yell"

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Couldn't find any info on the forum here on AN fittings after searching it many different ways. I did come across a thread at 67-72chevytrucks.com saying GM changed the size (OF COURSE they friggin did ... ) of the cooler fitting threads in the transmission case after 11/29/2007 to 9/16-18 from the 1/4-18 NPS that's been used forever. I just sent an email to PerformaBuilt to try and figure out which one I have. It's been so long I don't have the slightest idea. I can't remember if I videoed that part or not. Guess I can look there and hope to catch something.Should be obvious, since there's a big difference between 1/4" and 9/16"!

What a PITA. Any time I work on something built after 1995, this is the bullshit I have to constantly deal with ... and it gets worse after '06! So friggin aggravating!
Old 07-14-2022, 04:01 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

I guessed correct the Jiffy Tite clip. Looks like the plastic retainer that snaps over the ridge of the fitting to prevent the clip from backing out... is either loose or I didn't have it snapped all the way on.

I'm going to try to remove the fitting to install the clip if I have enough room. If not... the driveshaft, exhaust headers back and the crossmember will have to be removed to drop the unit down for clearance.

Good news Amazon just delivered the fluid I bought on Prime Day for the fresh trans install... oh well lol

Project "Rebel Yell"-1bo4w4y.jpg
The following users liked this post:
Smithsonite (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

What a nightmare. At least you made it home. Never been a big fan of that design. Typical GM - a great idea ... IN THEORY ...
​​​​​​​
I just placed an order with Summit. I managed to find AN adaptors that will eliminate all the hose except for the left side of my cooler, and reuse the existing metal line I just replaced. I'll feel a lot better not having these jiffy connections anywhere on the truck. Ended up going with black ProClassic II for the 6"-10" of hose I'll need for the left side of the cooler. The other 3 connections will be direct.
Old 07-14-2022, 06:46 PM
100% Redneck

Originally Posted by Smithsonite
What a nightmare. At least you made it home. Never been a big fan of that design. Typical GM - a great idea ... IN THEORY ...
​​​​​​​
I just placed an order with Summit. I managed to find AN adaptors that will eliminate all the hose except for the left side of my cooler, and reuse the existing metal line I just replaced. I'll feel a lot better not having these jiffy connections anywhere on the truck. Ended up going with black ProClassic II for the 6"-10" of hose I'll need for the left side of the cooler. The other 3 connections will be direct.
Let me know how the AN stuff works out. For the time being I'm just going to replace with new GM fittings with unmolested clips. Most likely I'll be ready to install before you? Performabuilt said they were caught up when I called so it shouldn't take them to long to return. Brian at Circle-D emailed and told me to send the converter back for a cut & clean... not sure about their work load.
Smithsonite (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 07:14 PM
100% Redneck

The fitting came out easily. The clip looked a little stretched out and the three lock points looked shallow not engaging very deep. The other spare clip I had looked the same.

Then I had one of those moments! "wonder if I have any clips on the OEM 28" radiator in the storage room?

Bingo had one cut off cooling line (to remote cooler) still on the radiator! I knew this was a virgin clip that's never been removed... fit nice and tight like a virgin should woot woot!

Now the hard part getting the fitting started! No way to get a hand in there and turn the fitting. Stuffed masking tape in a deep socket to expose the threads, a bit on the points to hold the fitting from falling out, and some tape at the bottom of the socket for finger grip (non slick) to turn.

Impossible to get a light in that tight area without knocking it down as you tried to start the fitting. Took about ten tries till I got it started. Pushed in the line and it had an audible and tactile click! Pulled hard wiggled a bit and it feels locked.

So happy I didn't have to drop the exhaust, crossmember, driveshaft etc... if it would have been the top cooling line I would have had too.

Gonna spend the rest of the evening wiping the underside mess so it wont smoke and drip anymore. Tomorrow I'll add fluid and hopefully I didn't burn the darn thing up.

My rigged starter socket

Project "Rebel Yell"-gre3srz.jpg

These 6 Ton Daytona stands are solid

One click high truck tilted on one side

Project "Rebel Yell"-temaqkw.jpg

Last edited by RedXray; 07-14-2022 at 07:20 PM.
Smithsonite (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Will do on the AN fittings. NICE! Glad you were able to extract that without disassembling half the truck again! Good deal.

Yeah, it's going to be a long time before my project starts. I'm still working on a powered parachute that I need to finish and get out of here, otherwise it'll be trapped in that corner of the shop until I'm done.

Got a mountain of work to do on mine. Besides the cooler line work, I've got to yank my axles and do bearings and seals (Just as a preemptive strike against the extra 150 RWHP or so I might have), replace the axle C-clips with new ones, since they were severely beat when I did the Ox Locker in '19, install the new Circle-D converter, need to drop the front axle assembly to yank the pan to block off the AFM oil pressure relief, and install a 2-bolt pickup tube holder on the new oil pump I have, new timing set, lifters, pushrods, springs, trunnion bushings, Truck Norris cam, whatever else is in the AFM delete kit, and Magnuson supercharger. Probably take me at least 2 weeks, probably longer.
RedXray (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 11:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,174 Likes on 894 Posts

I love those Daytona jacks. I just picked up a set myself a couple of months ago and they are fantastic.
RedXray (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 11:32 PM
100% Redneck

Originally Posted by shakenfake
I love those Daytona jacks. I just picked up a set myself a couple of months ago and they are fantastic.
Yeah my Daytona 3 ton low profile jack is awesome!

My late dad bought me a Harbor Freight jack for my 33rd birthday way back in 1990. I used it almost 30 years with no issues but the new Daytona is so much better in every way. If the new HF jack lasts as long as the old HF jack I won't be alive to see it lol.

Project "Rebel Yell"-kwlz6bk.jpg

Project "Rebel Yell"-ofagp6b.jpg
Smithsonite (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 12:51 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

I have seen those Old style 6ton HF stands fail first hand. My buddy has a set and we no longer use them on anything that needs to be raised because of that.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,174 Likes on 894 Posts

Holy ****, Red I have that exact same harbor freight jack. I'll get a picture tomorrow but the pump has failed so after you jack it up it very slowly falls back down

Quick Reply: Project "Rebel Yell"