PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Project "Rebel Yell"

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I ran Amsoil Signature Series Multi-vehicle ATF in both the OE trans, and the Performabuilt. I won't even tell you what that cost ... At least 4 kegs.

I've had an ATF weep from somewhere up front since the install. Part of it was a loose pressure port plug. Once I sealed that up, the area was no longer leaving 1 or 2 drips when I parked, but I can still see weepage all over the bellhousing. It's either the front seal or one of the pump bolts. I let the converter slip out of my hands and SLAM into the trans when following their directions for installation. I should've just done it the way I had been doing it my whole life, without tilting it upward. Lesson learned there.

My converter is on order from Circle D, so I'll find out eventually what the cause was. Supercharger won't be here until June the way things are looking.
The following users liked this post:
RedXray (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 01:57 AM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

She's out...

Got to the last bellhousing bolt at the top and couldn't get my swivel with the super long extension on the bolt

The long tubes were hitting the frame at the engine mount and wouldn't let the engine tilt back enough... it was so close

so I had to get her back down off the stands on her feet to remove the plugs and header bolts...

back up in the air...

got maybe one more inch of drop just enough to get the top bolt woot woot

Ordered new spark plugs and header gaskets... no use installing the old plugs

Pops is tuckered out... sucks when you have no one to hold the drop light or to fetch wrenches while you're under the truck lol

Project "Rebel Yell"-1pqqoem.jpg

Project "Rebel Yell"-yau2khv.jpg

Project "Rebel Yell"-xfe7tlv.jpg

The following 2 users liked this post by RedXray:
Jeff71 (04-06-2022), Smithsonite (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 05:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I usually line up most of what I need before crawling under my trucks, but there is always something you need out of the toolbox. I have texted my wife to get me stuff so I won't have to crawl back out but there turns into a yelling match of " that's not what I wanted"
Smithsonite (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

I hate the way modern vehicles are built. The GMT-900 series is even WORSE, if you can imagine that! Even with the stock manifolds on and the Y-pipe removed, the engine barely tilts far enough to get that top bolt. Can't use a 1/2" drive, because it hits the body! So had to use 3/8" drive, and snapped my swivel in HALF. Also had to use a 3' extension to go over the top of the trans. Impossible to reach from above. I was cursing GM through that entire job. Even the damned grille fought me! Have to reach down with pliers and squeeze every single clip. I was fit to be tied after that job. Not real excited about installing this new torque converter, since I cross threaded that top bolt during installation from sheer frustration. That's gonna be fun getting out!

Friggin GM! 🤬
Old 04-06-2022, 10:20 AM
100% Redneck

Originally Posted by 3wide
I usually line up most of what I need before crawling under my trucks, but there is always something you need out of the toolbox. I have texted my wife to get me stuff so I won't have to crawl back out but there turns into a yelling match of " that's not what I wanted"
Me too but there is always a need for a different tool for those tight spots. When you ask someone to grab like a "deep 6 point 15mm socket" and they don't know your toolbox... you wait... give directions.... slide out and get it yourself

Someone holding the drop light is a great help... after you teach them to direct the light where I can see... not them

Originally Posted by Smithsonite
I hate the way modern vehicles are built. The GMT-900 series is even WORSE, if you can imagine that! Even with the stock manifolds on and the Y-pipe removed, the engine barely tilts far enough to get that top bolt. Can't use a 1/2" drive, because it hits the body! So had to use 3/8" drive, and snapped my swivel in HALF. Also had to use a 3' extension to go over the top of the trans. Impossible to reach from above. I was cursing GM through that entire job. Even the damned grille fought me! Have to reach down with pliers and squeeze every single clip. I was fit to be tied after that job. Not real excited about installing this new torque converter, since I cross threaded that top bolt during installation from sheer frustration. That's gonna be fun getting out!

Friggin GM! 🤬
The 99-02 GMT-800 design is slightly different than the 03+ GMT-800's. The later design has a larger transmission tunnel making the job easier. The later model also has access for removal to the ABS module sandwiched between the cab and the frame. My guess is GM dealership techs servicing transmissions and ABS modules complained enough and were listened to lol.

I bolted my transmission to the engine during the install. When I was removing the bellhousing bolts I was thinking "hope I didn't torque the **** out of them" as it's easy access hanging from the engine hoist. My little Milwaukee Impact zipped them suckers right out!

June 2017 install (note trans vent tube bracket already installed... don't have that luxury today)

Project "Rebel Yell"-t1samco.jpg
Old 04-06-2022, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

I didn't know that about the 800 series. Good to know! Seems from '07 on, GM just extended its middle finger to techs across the world, and told them DEAL WITH IT. Mine is infuriating. Even the shifter cable bracket is a nightmare. 2 Torx bolts facing up towards the body, always rusted out, and overtorqued at the factory. Thankfully I extracted those at 40k miles so I could do a fluid flush with Amsoil, and tossed them in the trash for a pair of normal hex head bolts. I almost rounded both of them off! Imagine if I had waited until now. That would've been fun ...

In hindsight I should've kept my GMT-400 and '72 El Camino. I'd be a lot richer, that's for sure! And more sane. I'd be doing a 502 swap for a tenth of the money, and in a fraction of the time, too.
Old 04-06-2022, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,173 Likes on 893 Posts

I don't even think I have that bracket. Pretty sure my tube just hangs on for the ride lol
The following 2 users liked this post by shakenfake:
RedXray (04-06-2022), Smithsonite (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 11:14 AM
100% Redneck

Originally Posted by Smithsonite
Even the shifter cable bracket is a nightmare. 2 Torx bolts facing up towards the body, always rusted out, and overtorqued at the factory. Thankfully I extracted those at 40k miles so I could do a fluid flush with Amsoil, and tossed them in the trash for a pair of normal hex head bolts. I almost rounded both of them off! Imagine if I had waited until now. That would've been fun ...
The 800 is exactly the same. Most just bend the shift cable bracket away just enough to clear to drop the pan. I have an aftermarket shifter and don't use that bracket. Tried to remove that SOB and gave up on the forward torx bolt lol. I just run the cable through the big hole (does nothing) and when I service the pan it's easy to pivot the bracket away with only one bolt

You can see the missing bolt hole

Project "Rebel Yell"-bqxyrc5.jpg
Old 04-06-2022, 01:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

ya'll be bitchin' about your swivels and ****

Get at me when you have to use a 12pt 13mm WRENCH because no other tool in existence fits there and you need the 15° of the 12pt to turn it 1/16 of a turn at a time. I couldnt get my ratcheting wrench to ratchet, if you can believe that ****. Wasnt enough room to get the throw needed to grab the next pawl. Infuriating

Where? C5 belhousing bolt, passenger side nearest the battery

@zebra probably knows the struggle

oh and guess what??? I get to do it again! because Texas Speed reasons lol
Smithsonite (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,173 Likes on 893 Posts

How to dislike a post
wretched73 (04-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Project "Rebel Yell"