PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Just a few pics of my new turbo setup on my 2011 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Three6GMC
Yeah this is my daily driver but it never sat not even for a day. The kit started off as one of Kyles stage 1 non intercooler kits that I ordered with all stainless hot side. Took me about 6 hours from start to finish on my day off to get it up and running. Later that day I drove it to my tuner a about 20 min away from my house and got it tuned so it will run right and get all the SES lights off. Drove it like that for a couple of days on low boost while i waited for my couplers and other little things to come in. I mounted my intercooler atthat time as well. Then took off to work for a week. When I got back I called and made a reservation to the exhaust shop who did my cold side and dropped the truck off there for a little more then half a day. Got it retuned again after the intercooler got plumbed up and the Meth. Been driving like that around town since then ut not getting on it as my stock flex fuel injectors were startig to max out at the top of second. So image having a turbo put on and not being able to get on it... Torture damit! Lol My injectors intake and other parts come in today! So when I get home from work I'm picking my truck up from the yard driving it home and gonna finally finish it. I'm pretty excited I been driving around on 5lbs so to tonight when the parts are all in I'll swap out to my 10lb spring go get it tuned and see how it really runs. But yeah truck hasn't been down for any longer then a day. Putting a turbo on a daily driver is easy and can be done if planned right.

see and i thought there were complications

its really good to hear though that you had everything in order with no snags. i really dont call the injectors and those minor parts snags, but rather quality upgrades after you have the initial system installed and built.

personally if id get one of these kits, id have trouble installing it unless i was home where my dad, his tools, and air was available vs. where im at now and having a business that tunes 20 minutes away vs. an hour+.

did you have any knowledge before hand with turbo systems besides the forums? i say if i can put on a lift kit never doing it before in a garage i could do a turbo setup. really only thing would be to figure out how far would i need to go for upgraded parts to support the added power and parts on standby incase it has problems getting tuned. i know theres stock engines with upgraded trans/dshaft/rearend that handles ungodly power, then their are builds with forged parts, cam, heads, etc. doing the same thing that pop. i guess its all a game of luck and triumph lol
Old 09-22-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Nice setup you got there, I like that you changed the boost gauge lighting. What size bulbs do they take, now I am thinking I should change mine too.
I just used some led peanut pulbs ill get the size for you later I dont remember the exact number at the the top of my head right now.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fortplainman
see and i thought there were complications

its really good to hear though that you had everything in order with no snags. i really dont call the injectors and those minor parts snags, but rather quality upgrades after you have the initial system installed and built.

personally if id get one of these kits, id have trouble installing it unless i was home where my dad, his tools, and air was available vs. where im at now and having a business that tunes 20 minutes away vs. an hour+.

did you have any knowledge before hand with turbo systems besides the forums? i say if i can put on a lift kit never doing it before in a garage i could do a turbo setup. really only thing would be to figure out how far would i need to go for upgraded parts to support the added power and parts on standby incase it has problems getting tuned. i know theres stock engines with upgraded trans/dshaft/rearend that handles ungodly power, then their are builds with forged parts, cam, heads, etc. doing the same thing that pop. i guess its all a game of luck and triumph lol
This was my first turbo install and honestly it didn't need anything special. I have a basic understanding how a turbo system works and I have read alot on this forum about turbos. But I mean really i did this in my driveway with a electric drill and a matco silver eagle hand tool set. I was really surprised at how easy this was to install. And yeah if you can put a lift kit in you can put in one of Kyles kits. Its really really easy. But yeah like you said your biggest prob would be to get it tuned. As far as parts I mean do what you feel comfortable with and be realistic. Like me I want to get my trans built up my driveshaft and rear end. I think with those parts fairly built up my truck will last me awhile and should be dependable. Thats my number one thing with me is yes I like power but I want drivability and dependability more then anything. I really dont have time to be messing with a broken truck. But yeah I guess it still is a gamble cuz I have seen the same thing built trucks breaking and factory trucks putting down 500+ hp lol its crazy.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Three6GMC
This was my first turbo install and honestly it didn't need anything special. I have a basic understanding how a turbo system works and I have read alot on this forum about turbos. But I mean really i did this in my driveway with a electric drill and a matco silver eagle hand tool set. I was really surprised at how easy this was to install. And yeah if you can put a lift kit in you can put in one of Kyles kits. Its really really easy. But yeah like you said your biggest prob would be to get it tuned. As far as parts I mean do what you feel comfortable with and be realistic. Like me I want to get my trans built up my driveshaft and rear end. I think with those parts fairly built up my truck will last me awhile and should be dependable. Thats my number one thing with me is yes I like power but I want drivability and dependability more then anything. I really dont have time to be messing with a broken truck. But yeah I guess it still is a gamble cuz I have seen the same thing built trucks breaking and factory trucks putting down 500+ hp lol its crazy.
well this is all good to hear. i myself if i went this route with a basic kit from kyle, i would run it on really low boost and maybe just have justin tune it to where its in "safe mode" until i could upgrade injectors, fuel system, trans, and driveline. id probably run it on a stock motor until i could afford to rip it apart and put ls6/7 lifters in there with a cam. until i have a new driveshaft(already have gears and truetrac going in at some point because of the lift), and a built 60e to go along with the upgraded parts in the engine, id leave it on that tune. then when i feel like its time to get it dyno tuned, thats when i would look into a better exhaust, brakes, intercooler and/or meth of some kind. big thing is that would be options because it probably would run just fine without those(well minus brakes haha). another thing would also be driving this through the winter, but thats another question i would have about a turbo system.

sorry to kinda fill up your thread with a book of thoughts/questions, but seems like you were in my spot not too long ago.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:36 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Looking good man!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks man its getting there slowly but surly lol
Old 09-26-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

I have had a few guys ask me about how I mounted my intercooler so I took these pics for them and anyone else who is interested. Excuse how unfinished it looks everything is gonna be cleaned up the bolts are gonna be replaced with stainless ones and the 4 mounts are gonna be painted black lol

Old 09-26-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

looks snug but the NNBS have a lot of room between the front end and the radiator to stuff some big intercoolers/trans coolers in them.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fortplainman
looks snug but the NNBS have a lot of room between the front end and the radiator to stuff some big intercoolers/trans coolers in them.
Yeah there is plenty of room. That intercooler is 31x12x4 with a 3 inch inlet and outlet. Fits PERFECT. Only modifications done to put it in there were to trim the 2 center grille mounting tabs and to unbolt the center mount bracket. Other then that the intercooler went right in. Oh and the grille still has way more then enough support from ll the other mounting tabs and bolts.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Little update... Got my FAST intake in and on as well as my injectors. Finally got to tuning and getting everything running pretty good. Right now im on 7lbs but after I install my aeromotive 340 pump in gonna also put in the 10lb spring and hit the dyno. Will see what it can do...

Quick Reply: Just a few pics of my new turbo setup on my 2011 5.3