PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Just a few pics of my new turbo setup on my 2011 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Coban
Very clean cold side. Well done.
Originally Posted by TIM Z
Awesome man!

Now she will run as good as she looks!!

Congrats!
Thanks truck goes on the rollers this weekend so we will see how she does hopefully 500-550 rwhp

Originally Posted by smokeshow
That cold side looks way nice custom bent like that. I can only hope mine comes out looking that good when I get to it. lol
Thanks man well what intercooler are you going to run and what turbo kit? I can talk to the guy who did my pipes and have him replicate them for you? He only charged me $300

Originally Posted by Lucille
Do the 2011 5.3 still come with cathedral port heads? I would hate for you to order a $1000 intake that wont fit, especially with the stories I've been reading about FAST return issues.
Yeah I checked them when I tapped my valley cover for my oil feed. Anyways too late now intake is set to come in today as well as my other parts lol I have my little bros 02 silvy there that it will fit if it doesn't fit mine. But almost positive no 4.8s or 5.3s come with square port heads.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that cold side is awesome man. pm me the shop in corpus that did it.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

you should have 243's or 799's, basically the same head.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Alright I'll send you a pm...

Here are the only pics I have at the moment of my gauges or "gauge" lol I still havnt got in my fuel pressure and wideband gauges...

The gauge is a pro comp ultra lite from autometer I changed out the ugly yellow bulb it came with with a super white led. I think it looks pretty good I'll do the same to my fuel pressure gauge. Oh by the way I'm going with the new Innovate MTX-L wideband. I'll post more pics when those come in as well.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02'Z71ONDUBZ'
you should have 243's or 799's, basically the same head.
Yeah I have the 799 cathedral port heads and like you said pretty much the same as the 243s
Old 09-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Three6GMC
Thanks man well what intercooler are you going to run and what turbo kit? I can talk to the guy who did my pipes and have him replicate them for you? He only charged me $300
Mine is also a KB kit, but a custom air to water intercooler setup. Cold side piping is a bit different...thanks though.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

just a nice quality kit for a competitive price. if your willing to do all the tinkering on it to get it running top notch it will be so worth it. this your daily driver? if i had the extra cash on hand id probably go s/c because its pretty straight forward, but if i could afford to let my truck sit(my daily driver) for a couple weeks until parts are installed and either send my ecm out to justin at BBP for an initial tune or i could get it properly dyno tuned at the local shop here, turbo would be the way id go.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Mine is also a KB kit, but a custom air to water intercooler setup. Cold side piping is a bit different...thanks though.
Quick question how do you like the air/water intercooler? I thought about going that route but just went Air/air for simplicity. If you dont mind can you post some pics?
Old 09-21-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fortplainman
just a nice quality kit for a competitive price. if your willing to do all the tinkering on it to get it running top notch it will be so worth it. this your daily driver? if i had the extra cash on hand id probably go s/c because its pretty straight forward, but if i could afford to let my truck sit(my daily driver) for a couple weeks until parts are installed and either send my ecm out to justin at BBP for an initial tune or i could get it properly dyno tuned at the local shop here, turbo would be the way id go.
Yeah this is my daily driver but it never sat not even for a day. The kit started off as one of Kyles stage 1 non intercooler kits that I ordered with all stainless hot side. Took me about 6 hours from start to finish on my day off to get it up and running. Later that day I drove it to my tuner a about 20 min away from my house and got it tuned so it will run right and get all the SES lights off. Drove it like that for a couple of days on low boost while i waited for my couplers and other little things to come in. I mounted my intercooler atthat time as well. Then took off to work for a week. When I got back I called and made a reservation to the exhaust shop who did my cold side and dropped the truck off there for a little more then half a day. Got it retuned again after the intercooler got plumbed up and the Meth. Been driving like that around town since then ut not getting on it as my stock flex fuel injectors were startig to max out at the top of second. So image having a turbo put on and not being able to get on it... Torture damit! Lol My injectors intake and other parts come in today! So when I get home from work I'm picking my truck up from the yard driving it home and gonna finally finish it. I'm pretty excited I been driving around on 5lbs so to tonight when the parts are all in I'll swap out to my 10lb spring go get it tuned and see how it really runs. But yeah truck hasn't been down for any longer then a day. Putting a turbo on a daily driver is easy and can be done if planned right.

Last edited by Three6GMC; 09-21-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:18 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Nice setup you got there, I like that you changed the boost gauge lighting. What size bulbs do they take, now I am thinking I should change mine too.

Quick Reply: Just a few pics of my new turbo setup on my 2011 5.3