PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Funkster's 1997 S-10 SS Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 01:03 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Funkster
You started off better than me.

I am going to try to keep the steel and glass in as long as I can. This is mainly because there are a few classes and events around here that require it.
I deleted a bunch too. Taken out includes:

ABS system
Cruise Control
AC
Entire HVAC system including under dash
Torsion bar system and all crossmembers, has coilovers and tubular a-arms
Inner fenders
Spare tire and hanger
A mess of unused wiring

I don't really run any competitive classes so I essentially get to do whatever I want, this is just my weekend fun at the late night drags sort of truck.

Looking forward to see your progress.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There has been a lot of progress on the truck, but I have been bad about updating.

I also want to start this post with a question to my followers. I am at a position where I am debating if I want to try to get the truck running this year for a few months before tearing it down for some upgrades over the winter or if I should just start down the path now.

The battles I face are to get it running this year I will have to build a driveshaft for the stock rear, but there is a chance I upgrade rears over the winter. I also will wire in factory injectors, but over the winter I will definitely be upgrading to injectors with a different plug type as well as building an exhaust that I won't use next year because the truck will be turbo next year.

Basically over the winter season my plans are to making the follow changes:
- Add a 10pt Chromoly Cage
- Build a new fuel system (Cell, external pump, etc.)
- Convert to Manual Rack and Pinion
- Complete Turbo Setup
- Install turbo cam, LS9 Gaskets, headstuds, valvesprings, etc.

I really would like to drive the car for a couple of months this year, but with the list of stuff that will be purchased and sold for a loss the logistics side of me says it is smarter to continue on with the bigger build and not make sacrifices now.

I paid off both of my vehicles in the last two months and with overtime back available I am in a position to be able to spend a decent amount of money each month on parts, etc. Not to mention the parts I do have, that I have not driven on yet (Headers, Motor Mounts, etc.) will have a much higher value now than they will after a season of driving.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Funkster
There has been a lot of progress on the truck, but I have been bad about updating.

I also want to start this post with a question to my followers. I am at a position where I am debating if I want to try to get the truck running this year for a few months before tearing it down for some upgrades over the winter or if I should just start down the path now.

The battles I face are to get it running this year I will have to build a driveshaft for the stock rear, but there is a chance I upgrade rears over the winter. I also will wire in factory injectors, but over the winter I will definitely be upgrading to injectors with a different plug type as well as building an exhaust that I won't use next year because the truck will be turbo next year.

Basically over the winter season my plans are to making the follow changes:
- Add a 10pt Chromoly Cage
- Build a new fuel system (Cell, external pump, etc.)
- Convert to Manual Rack and Pinion
- Complete Turbo Setup
- Install turbo cam, LS9 Gaskets, headstuds, valvesprings, etc.

I really would like to drive the car for a couple of months this year, but with the list of stuff that will be purchased and sold for a loss the logistics side of me says it is smarter to continue on with the bigger build and not make sacrifices now.

I paid off both of my vehicles in the last two months and with overtime back available I am in a position to be able to spend a decent amount of money each month on parts, etc. Not to mention the parts I do have, that I have not driven on yet (Headers, Motor Mounts, etc.) will have a much higher value now than they will after a season of driving.
I guess it all depends on what is more important to you bud. Personally I hate opening and closing anything mechanical multiple times. Each time you open it you increase the chances of breaking/stripping/stretching or wearing items out... Personally I would do everything in one go. But Im just me and my vote is just one in a million
Old 06-02-2018, 03:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoccoVNVLVMC
I guess it all depends on what is more important to you bud. Personally I hate opening and closing anything mechanical multiple times. Each time you open it you increase the chances of breaking/stripping/stretching or wearing items out... Personally I would do everything in one go. But Im just me and my vote is just one in a million
That is another factor as well. I appreciate your input, thank you.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was my build I would just go all in now, sell the parts that won't be used and take the extra time to get everything perfect and some time to test and dial in, but after reading ur last build I'm sure this will look amazing too