PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Finally -- New project truck!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

It's running as fast as I could want for the way the suspension is set up. I will be towing with it for the first time tomorrow. Spark timing is conservative but I'll bring my laptop if I need to make any adjustments. Will be running only 6PSI for towing. I have a 3PSI pulley if the boost is too much up the hills or I can't find 93 octane.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Picked up a little something to throw in the bed. I found this 82 XL500 that really needed rehab. Its been a fun project bike but wow sometimes im worried about the previous owners of bikes like this. At 6k miles i had to throw the entire service manual at it. Bunch of wiring repairs. Couple boxes of nos cables gaskets levers parts etc. Shes almost sorted. Took the thumper out for a ride today and when coming back I was like hmm something is off. Turns out the rear was totally flat pulling into the driveway. Fml. The repairs continue. On my previous bikes a flat was very noticeable if not a reason to get wrekt. On the XL it handled fine but i guess its not the kind of bike you push hard on the streets with knobbies.

Next i want to get the exhaust ceramic coated. Maybe gold and get some gold hoops.

The following users liked this post:
dantheman1540 (09-27-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 280 Likes on 232 Posts

Sweet bike man. Looks like it is in damn near new condition now.

I think a gold ceramic coated exhaust and gold rims would be rad, but I think it would be extremely difficult to find a gold ceramic coating to match most glossy gold rims.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

That's thing is sweet! But where do you ride it in DC? I guess through the crowds of peaceful protesters. Anyway yeah matching ceramic coating with powder might be hard just ceramic coat the exhaust and wheels.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

I hadn't really explored Southern MD much but there are a good number of places on the VA side. There is the Charles City Dirt Riders Track. We have some lands that are sketchy legally about 30 min west from my place lol. I know some people within an 1-1/2 hr with private lands out in Fauquier County. Horse/Wine Country is roughly an hour from DC. I also see a lot of dirt bikes up in the 211 area near Luray. We did some rides around the C+O canal that were half dirt roads and paved. Also there is a DC dirt group that does rides in some interesting places in DC. Abandoned lots and alleys maybe some bars thrown in at the end.
The following users liked this post:
dantheman1540 (09-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I hadn't really explored Southern MD much but there are a good number of places on the VA side. There is the Charles City Dirt Riders Track. We have some lands that are sketchy legally about 30 min west from my place lol. I know some people within an 1-1/2 hr with private lands out in Fauquier County. Horse/Wine Country is roughly an hour from DC. I also see a lot of dirt bikes up in the 211 area near Luray. We did some rides around the C+O canal that were half dirt roads and paved. Also there is a DC dirt group that does rides in some interesting places in DC. Abandoned lots and alleys maybe some bars thrown in at the end.
I want to see you rolling through DC like the 12 o'clock boys.