PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Budget Build Thread - Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget Build Thread - Help

Well to give the run down I wanted to turbo my Tahoe but after a little thinking I decided to look for a cheap but clean RC. I ended up buying an extremely clean RC 2000 Gmc Sierra with the 5.3. The guy I bought it from owned since 2001 and when he got it, it only had 7000 miles on it. His add on Craigslist had two pictures and gave a brief description of the vehicle and said that the truck is not running and needs engine repair. When I got up to the guys house he said he hadn’t started in a year but the reason why it needs engine repair is because it has water in the oil. I’m thinking that it has a blown head gasket so I ended up buying the truck (or stealing it because I got it so cheap) and bringing it home I drain the tank put fresh oil, new thermostat and check fuses and so on and with help from my brother I get it started. He has to bang on the started but it fires up drives around without over heated but when its running it leaks around the bell housing possible a rear main seal. I read all the time about junk yard motors so I think with a little work I could get it up and boosting soon.

I decided since I plan on Turboing the truck I need to upgrade parts and fix the issues and go through it. I pulled out the motor and got the trans separated now I can’t get the converter off so I can mount the engine on a stand.

My questions are:
1. How do I remove the bell housing from the engine, there’s no room to get a tool in the there?
2. How will I be able to tell if it was a blown head gasket? If it is was would you recommend getting them fixed or get another set? Keep in mind I would like to save money and put it elsewhere if I can.
3. I need head studs and not sure on which ones to get and also the best head gaskets for boost?
4. I’m thinking since it’s got 16x,xxx miles on the clock and while I got it apart I should replace the springs in the heads?
5. I would like to put a cam I’m thinking the com cam 265 or the 275? Is it hard to replace the cam and if I do I would need to upgrade parts and the heads could you guys tell me which parts I need?
6. The last question for now is… I’m not sure which trans is in it how can I tell for sure? I want to put a transgo kit in; is it hard and is it worth it?

The Truck
Name:  image6.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  270.0 KB

Name:  image4.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  209.5 KB

Name:  image3.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  221.8 KB

As you can see there is no space inbetween the flex plate and torque converter
Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  206.5 KB
Old 09-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Teching In

theres 3 bolts in between the block and the flex plate, take those out and the converter should slide out.

you may reach them by taking the starter out

Last edited by 1FastBrick; 09-01-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Launching!

I took the starter off I'll have to go out and look but from what your saying the bolts are on the side not looking at the torque converter?

Last edited by 03 BLKTAHOE; 09-01-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Spell check
Old 09-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jerrymaister
you may reach them by taking the starter out
I got it thanks...
Old 09-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you take the transmission out woth the torque converter still attached to the engine??? If so i hope you did not break the transmission pump while doing so
Old 09-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Did you take the transmission out woth the torque converter still attached to the engine??? If so i hope you did not break the transmission pump while doing so

Yes i did this is my first rodeo. How would i know if I damged the pump is there a way to tell?
Old 09-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Launching!

I bought the Torin Big red engine stand but i dont believe the arms are long enoungh to spread where i can get a good bite evenly around the flex plate Has any of you used or have this model and used it on the gen 3 motor?

Thanks

TORIN Big Red 750 lb. Engine Stand T23401: Details & Specs at NexTag
Old 09-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Launching!

I got a couple questions: One I've taken the bolts out of the heads and they will not come off i know its gots a gasket and has a good seal but man when I pull on the head it drags the motor and stand with it.

Is there a trick to taking the heads off?

My other questions is one of the exhaust manifold bolts snaped off in the head while I was trying to take it out. How would I go about getting it out?

What should I do get new stock heads for $350-400?

Keep the heads and just put in new springs, valves and rockers (not sure on how much)?

Or try and get lucky and score a good set of heads like 243's?

Thanks

Last edited by 03 BLKTAHOE; 09-02-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: SPELL CHECK
Old 09-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a set of bolts along the top edge of the head. Mine were covered with grease and grime and took me a minute to realize they were there. I am sure that is your problem with the heads not coming off.

The manifold bolt is an easy one if you have a welder or know some one who does. If it broke off flush then you need to build a tit with the welder then weld a nut to the tit and it will come out with ease. I have done quite a few for a few trucks in the shop.

P.S. I appreciate your ambition and we all learn much more from doing things a few times but make sure you do as much reading as possible. Just like with the converter left on the engine you can quickly spend a lot of money just to repair something ruined. You seem to be a doing a great job so far but just try to learn from others and not by tearing something up pulling it apart.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 759 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 BLKTAHOE
I got a couple questions: One I've taken the bolts out of the heads and they will not come off i know its gots a gasket and has a good seal but man when I pull on the head it drags the motor and stand with it.

Is there a trick to taking the heads off?

My other questions is one of the exhaust manifold bolts snaped off in the head while I was trying to take it out. How would I go about getting it out?

What should I do get new stock heads for $350-400?

Keep the heads and just put in new springs, valves and rockers (not sure on how much)?

Or try and get lucky and score a good set of heads like 243's?

Thanks
There is 15 bolts total on each head. I bet you missed one in the rocker area or possibly all if you did not remove the Rocker arms and supports.

The broken exhaust bolt is easy to remove as mentioned or buy using an easy out. If your not confident any machine shop can do it for you.
Attached Thumbnails Budget Build Thread - Help-head-bolt.jpg  

Quick Reply: Budget Build Thread - Help