PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Blown06-New Build: Cage, 4-Link, Cog Drive, + Too Much More

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 08:15 AM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GM1697
I've heard it's less than 10 lbs, but his looks like even less was removed than some I've seen. Cutting that section of the frame always scares me!
thats what ive been seeing for weight. Ive lost weight from truck frames but that isnt a place i cut from. s10s have done it to help with the oil pans of old days

now weight you can lose is the frame horns where the bumper mounts

recently lost 20lbs cutting them off the front of truck im working on, bumper cover bolts to grill shell
Old 03-07-2015, 02:28 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

The crossmember probably lost about 8 lbs. With that and the rest of the **** I've cut out so far I'm up to around 60 I think.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:12 AM
Formerly ScreamingL

have you thought of clipping the rails in front of the crossmember and making front out of chromo? this would for sure drop weight off nose

now im planning my truck here and trying to learn from others like yourself. You had ditched the expansion setup for a overflow, now do you feel that was a result of some of your issues? should all of us keep the expansion tanks?

also looking over your posts seems as the dual 750s you ran gave you issues after awhile, so im considering running a belt drive or cable drive fuel pump for mine as it will be on corn
Old 03-11-2015, 01:40 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by George C....
have you thought of clipping the rails in front of the crossmember and making front out of chromo? this would for sure drop weight off nose

now im planning my truck here and trying to learn from others like yourself. You had ditched the expansion setup for a overflow, now do you feel that was a result of some of your issues? should all of us keep the expansion tanks?

also looking over your posts seems as the dual 750s you ran gave you issues after awhile, so im considering running a belt drive or cable drive fuel pump for mine as it will be on corn
I do plan on cutting the frame off just ahead of the crossmember that I modified. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to make a jig to get the bumper and radiator core support back in the right place.

Taking the stock expansion tank out and just using an overflow did not cause any problems. Me lifting the heads really bad is what caused the problems. My overflow system was just overwhelmed with the pressure and volume and it was just blowing threw the cap. Not sure if you saw where I made an expansion tank later and ran it with no more issues of water spraying everywhere, however I was still bending the heads. Moral of the story, a good expansion system will contain water when lifting heads, but it will not prevent you from having gasket issues.

The dual 750's never caused me any problems. They are still on there and will continue to run them. The fuel pressure issue I was having ended up being a regulator issue. There was nothing wrong with the regulator, it just was not up to the task of regulating two 4303's down to a base of 43 psi and still being in a range where it could 1:1 with boost. I run my 4303's both on all the time and it is a ton of volume. The only regulator I found to stay in range while bypassing that much fuel at base pressure is the long donkey dick looking aeromotive that is designed for belt drive pumps.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Would you just cut the front half the truck off like white spike truck did with tubing front end? or just the from the frame horns forward?

I will probably have to cut the front clip so I can push everything forward to make room for piping and twins up top/front. I have also thought about putting radiator in back to clear up some space but with fuel cell outside cab not sure if that will work.

One thing that always concerns me when cutting on frame is structual integrity for a street driven truck. I plan on driving mine to work, car shows, and throw the kids in once in while; so don't want to put myself or passegners at risk because of a hacked up frame to save weight.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:19 AM
Formerly ScreamingL

I bolted the SS bumper cover to my grill she'll and to fenders, I got that idea from the lightning crowd..looking at my truck my rails are clipped in front of rad support

Dropping the bumper and bumper horns netted me a good loss off nose

Will just need a skeleton to hold cover true at high speeds

Good to know about regulator I was wondering about that big donkey looking regulator to work with the belt drive

I was weighing options and the twin 750s seems as a lot of draw and Assload of money
Old 03-12-2015, 01:43 AM
8 Second Truck Club

No No I'm not cutting the whole front end off. I'm planning on redoing everything in front of the stock suspension points/front crossmember.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:44 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by George C....
I bolted the SS bumper cover to my grill she'll and to fenders, I got that idea from the lightning crowd..looking at my truck my rails are clipped in front of rad support

Dropping the bumper and bumper horns netted me a good loss off nose

Will just need a skeleton to hold cover true at high speeds

Good to know about regulator I was wondering about that big donkey looking regulator to work with the belt drive

I was weighing options and the twin 750s seems as a lot of draw and Assload of money
The magnafuel regulator would work fine in a belt drive pump set up I would think. Belt drive pumps work off rpm, so they don't typically flow what twin 4303's do at idle.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to get off subject but quick question. What size slick do you run?
Old 03-12-2015, 06:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

This is also off subject.

But Blown06 you better have gotten a pt shirt, considering you're the most viewed project on the forums, it would be a shame for you not to be representing it!

Probably a bad time to remind you of it considering there is only 3 hours left to order...

Quick Reply: Blown06-New Build: Cage, 4-Link, Cog Drive, + Too Much More