PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Aksss's 408 s480 build

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 01:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well. I got my turbo back on and have about 100 miles on the truck. Kind of a rough tune so far, but it is getting better.
Still having an issue logging the rpm with the scanner. weird one. Here is a video of the first start up with the new, new turbo, and one of my first drive.

I'm hoping to head to the test and tune next Wednesday. I just have to drive a few hundred miles to get there.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad it's up and running!! I like it!
Old 10-13-2015, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

Update-I'm way behind on this.

Truck is running good. I ran out of time up in Alaska and the tracks are all closed and it has snowed once pretty hard and then it all melted. I only got the boost turned up to 6-7psi. I'm pretty sure this setup @7psi is running as good as my old turbo setup was at 14psi.

I have a few things that I need to address this winter when it is stored. My dual pump setup is losing pressure for some reason. I have dual pumps and my second pump doesn't turn on until 7psi. I was using pump "a" for the primary and I kept adding fuel and adding fuel and it was just losing pressure. I swapped the primary pump to "b" and the tune went way rich. so there is something going on there.

Second. I am actually surprised at the amount of fuel smell I have when my truck sits in the garage over night. I realize that I eliminated the factory emissions and evap setup. And I was told there would be a little bit of a fuel smell. But it smells like if you lit a cigeratte in my garage it would explode in there. So I am going to have to do something about this.

Third. I have to get my front coil overs on. I am way excited to do this. The truck is sitting at stock height now, and I might take it down an inch or two but I am still not sure about that.

Overall I am pretty happy with this setup. Everything seems to be working together well. With 7psi truck seems to make great power. The piston sprayers are definitely allowing a little more timing with the boost on 90octane fuel. And I'm still not sure if this cam is working for me or against me.
230 238 608 586 117+5
What do you guys think of this cam? Setup should run out of power around 6700. Cam seems pretty mild but does run well.

I made it down to the track and had a Miserable day. All my own fault too. I didn't get to do any real wot runs around my house with the truck before I went to the track. I only had the boost set on the low spring and that was 4psi. As a result, the wastegate creep wouldn't allow me to build any boost off the line. AND then, I didn't catch when I did my segment swap that my speed limiter came back. So pretty much exactly as I hit 3rd gear, my throttle would close and shut off the power. I didn't figure that all out until I left the track. Stupid I know. I tried everything to figure out what was causing my truck to shut off when it hit third gear. On a side note. 5 runs were consistant 103mph! HAHA

Should be a good running next summer. Hoping to see low 11's or high 10's out of this setup, and I think it has it in it. We shall see.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:16 AM
TECH Regular

I'm hoping one of you guys can see something here that I don't.

I have dual 400 pumps with a racetronix harness. 7psi hobbs setup. My blue wired pump was originally the primary pump. As I started tuning my truck and I got up to about 5psi the pump started dropping pressure. I didn't think a 400 should have any problem keeping up with my setup under 10 psi. I swapped pumps to the red pump as the primary and I had to take a bunch of fuel out of the tune because the pressure was stable. Then I continued tuning up to about 7psi with no problems. So I am assuming it is a weak pump out of the box. Take a look at my pump setup and let me know what you think? Plumbing or pump? I have a lot more pics, but photobucket is being a pita tonight.
Attached Thumbnails Aksss's 408 s480 build-img_7501.jpg   Aksss's 408 s480 build-img_7503.jpg   Aksss's 408 s480 build-img_7505.jpg   Aksss's 408 s480 build-img_7513.jpg   Aksss's 408 s480 build-img_7516.jpg  

Old 01-29-2016, 07:45 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Can you pressure test it on a bench? Put it in a cooler of water and hook the output to a regulator. Is the hose submersible rated? It might have a crack or split in it somewhere thats not obvious. Are the socks getting smashed in there so it has a suction issue? When you bench test it you can test the voltage drop at the pump.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:48 AM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove hobbs switch
Old 01-29-2016, 07:50 AM
I have a gauge for that

If he is running straight off the hobbs that would be an issue, but hopefully he is just using the hobbs to trigger a relay. Wouldnt affect the always on pump though.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Atomic
Can you pressure test it on a bench? Put it in a cooler of water and hook the output to a regulator. Is the hose submersible rated? It might have a crack or split in it somewhere thats not obvious. Are the socks getting smashed in there so it has a suction issue? When you bench test it you can test the voltage drop at the pump.
I am going to have to figure out a way to pressure test it on the bench. Otherwise I am just parts swapping. I will have to figure out a way to use my snap on pressure gauges on it. I wonder what is the best way to regulate it? Just let it go wide open and see if it is making full pressure?

The hose is submersible hose. I have made that mistake a long time ago when I had to redo the hose on my first 255.

The socks that I got come out at a 45* angle. I thought that would save me from smashing it on the bottom and cutting it off from supply. I could be wrong, But I don't think that is the issue.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Atomic
If he is running straight off the hobbs that would be an issue, but hopefully he is just using the hobbs to trigger a relay. Wouldnt affect the always on pump though.
Originally Posted by George C....
Remove hobbs switch
The Hobbs switch just triggers the ground on the relay for the secondary pump that turns on at 7psi. That side of the system is operating fine.

The way my harness is setup, you can swap which pump is the primary and secondary pump by just swapping plugs around. Or I can take the Hobbs switch out and run both pumps continuously. It is actually pretty handy if you have a pump fail or in this case a weak pump.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:06 AM
I have a gauge for that

You should probably test them up to 100psi or so. You could make something work with some home depot parts or you could use a real fuel regulator. 0psi test wont tell you much at all.

Quick Reply: Aksss's 408 s480 build