PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

After 40 years....................

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Their are so many abbreviations that I guess I should be more specific. When I said FI, I meant Fuel Injection. And I'm not so old school that I don't believe in Computers and Fuel Injection.( even though I'm OLD FAT and GRUMPY.) and Gray headed. LOL. does that mean laughing out loud or lots of love???
When I first went up to the drag strip,I wasn't planning on doing any racing. Then hearing the open headers and smelling the burning rubber and fuel,etc. It just ignited the old desire to go fast.
I've got a friend in Colorado Springs that has an old school 55 Chevy that is a 522 cubic inch big block he has a blower on it and goes 7.50's at 183 mph. It is not computerized or fuel injected.
I think the F.I. computer engines are great. My truck was, when it had the 4.3 in it. I made a few bolt on changes and shorty headers with the 4.10's and a 100 shot of nos. It cost me $300 to have it tuned and then we went to a dyno and did a few runs and made more adjustments. Another $300. Then I decide to put the 6.0 in.
I just wanted to be different and have a Carbed 6.0. Has nothing to do with not accepting the new technology. I just want a 4300 pound new style pickup with a carb to run hard. You don't see many newer style trucks on the drag strip. (anyway not in this area.)Most of the fastest cars we have here are old school non computer cars. 65 mustang big block ford with dual quads. Turns 8.80's at 165 mph.On pump gas. 1969 camaro BIG CUBES CARBED with Nitrous does 8.50's. I don't plan on going any where near that fast. I hope to be in the 10's with a 250 shot of the good stuff'. Got word my engine will be shipped today.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool, but I don't uderstand giving up FI for carb and giving up so much technology to make a little more power.....

Sweet truck though for sure!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:02 AM
14 Second Truck Club

I'm posting here just because I like to post right under a nice set of headlights...nice avatar 1bad2k.

All kidding aside, I hope the new build holds up and you can get it all dialed in so you can enjoy, it should haul *** when its complete.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

in 1975 i wasn't even thought of yet. . .
Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
My Joe Gibbs is fuel injected, and it is the one that runs like crap. Any carb engine I have ever done has always ran perfect. Started, idled, throttle response, and great power.
Obviously you've never had any one around that can tune. My set up in my sig starts, runs, drives, idles, revs just as well if not better than my carbed 355 in my race car. I've been around carbs twice as long as fuel injection, but hands down fuel injection is the way to go. Its a lot easier to tune your a/f and tune exactly what you want. With a carb you have jets, power valves, accelerator pumps, accelerator pump cams and mixture screws that all have to be exact. With a fi just type in a few numbers and there ya go.

Any how its nice to see some one go out of the box and do something that they enjoy doing. Best of luck to your new setup!
Old 02-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Launching!

Default Engine is here

Well got my engine from LME the other day. Now I just have to find time to get it back together. Trying to come up with enough money to get my headers ceramic coated. Heres a pic ......(as if you haven't seen enough engine pics before.)
Attached Thumbnails After 40 years....................-pickup-006.jpg   After 40 years....................-pickup-004.jpg  
Old 02-18-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try Nitroplating. My turbo manifold has held up better than any ceramic coated heaters I've ever had
Old 03-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Launching!

Well in not having much time driving 2500 to 3000 miles a week, I have managed to get the top end back together. Took the headers to get ceramic coated this morning. Seems they have been swamped with headers and it will be the end of next week before they can get to them. Here are a few pics to up date my slow progress.
Attached Thumbnails After 40 years....................-pickup-007.jpg   After 40 years....................-pickup-008.jpg   After 40 years....................-pickup-011.jpg   After 40 years....................-pickup-013.jpg  
Old 03-02-2011, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Thing is looking good. Hope it all stays together for ya this time. Good luck on the rest of your build.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks good! Tough luck man.
If you don't want it, you can take the oil fill extension off and put the cap straight into the valve cover.