PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

99 gmc sierra and 85 c-10 builds

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got another problem with my truck. hopefully some one can chime in and help me figure out whats wrong.

so when i get in my truck to start it(cold start only) i can turn my key and my motor spins over but will not crank. so i can turn power off and turn my key all the way and my truck fires up right away. Drives perfectly fine after that.
just replaced fuel filter and the fuel pressure regulator, hoping it would be either of those but no luck.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:30 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Which truck does this occur on? Fuel pressure issue?
Old 06-12-2014, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Which truck does this occur on? Fuel pressure issue?
sorry on my 99 5.3.
and im not really sure about the pressure. my uncle hooked up the gauges and it builds pressure when you turn the key on, but im guessing not as fast as it should. and when you turn the truck on the pressure very slowly decreases. which im not sure if thats suppose to do that or not.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:17 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by WICK3DxGATA
sorry on my 99 5.3.
and im not really sure about the pressure. my uncle hooked up the gauges and it builds pressure when you turn the key on, but im guessing not as fast as it should. and when you turn the truck on the pressure very slowly decreases. which im not sure if thats suppose to do that or not.
Should be around 50 PSI at idle. Spec is 48-52PSI Pull the Fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose off and it should jump up about 8-10 PSI.

If it's not building enough pressure on start up the pump could be weak or going bad.

Sound's like you already did the Fuel Filter and Fuel Pressure Regulator. Assuming there is no issue's there, I would suspect a weak or failing pump.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds stupid but change out the fuel fuse. the big one cant remember if its grey or black. but mine was doing that and it have to pull the fuse and put it back in and it would fire up. sounds dumb but could work?
Old 06-12-2014, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Should be around 50 PSI at idle. Spec is 48-52PSI Pull the Fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose off and it should jump up about 8-10 PSI.

If it's not building enough pressure on start up the pump could be weak or going bad.

Sound's like you already did the Fuel Filter and Fuel Pressure Regulator. Assuming there is no issue's there, I would suspect a weak or failing pump.
okay ill check out the pump next time i go home.

Originally Posted by darnie
sounds stupid but change out the fuel fuse. the big one cant remember if its grey or black. but mine was doing that and it have to pull the fuse and put it back in and it would fire up. sounds dumb but could work?
thanks ill check it out also
Old 08-22-2014, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

well finally got the problem fixed on my transmission. but since i didnt get to go home much this summer my 85c10 is still sitting with nothing done.

also just got an 08 ccsb with a 5.3. got it for crazy cheap since the rear main seal is leaking. so planning on pulling the motor out of it and rebuilding it have a couple ideas in my mind but have not came up with a final plan yet.
one plan is make it a 383? not sure on what all it takes or how reliable it would be for a dd but if any one has any opinions about it i would love to hear then?
another plan is just simple cam with some head work.

also once the new truck is on the road my 99 extended cab will be put up for sale.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

broke the rear end in my truck causing the bolts on my torque converter to break from the fly wheel. so replaced the rear end and replaced the fly wheel. didn't seem to have any damage to the converter. but ever since replacing everything noq my truck does run strong like it use to. still drives okay for daily but if i got WOT it revs up real high but basically has no power behind it doesn't want to go

so im not sure if the converter is messed up or im not sure if this is even possible but thinking maybe the trans tune got messed up being all unhooked for a couple days. if anyone else has any suggestions on what could be messed up or anything to check.

will be getting my tuner to hook up to it as soon as possible.