PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

96 Silverado 6.0 4l80e swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Silverado 6.0 4l80e swap

Well have been working on this truck for about four months now. I have made pretty good progress. First pic is what the truck used to look like when it belonged to my buddy in high school in 2006. Since then the motor died, he replaced it with another sbc with a distributor and the Trans went out. Anyway it sat in the field until about four months ago when I bought it off of him. Pulled the motor and Trans out and went to work! I ended up scoring a 2001 sierra 2500hd for 800 with no title complete and running with a hell of a knock. lol.... just went ahead and rebuilt the 6.0 reworked the heads and opened them up a bit with a good ol pocket port job. Engine was honed and I had it cleaned at the machine shop. Engine then got new bearings rings and Arp rod bolts and head bolts. Put that all together and threw it in the 96. I used one inch set back adapter plates and a 4l80e so I had to have the front shaft cut 26 inches center to center. While I was not working on the truck in the garage I was modifying the harness in the living room. I pulled everything I did not need out of the harness made it standalone with its own relays and fuse block. With the harness out of the way I went ahead and ordered hp tuners so I could tune out the vats to start the truck. Well I did that and to my avail the first fire did not go as planned. After some verifying that all the wiring I did was correct I came to the conclusion it was a fuel problem. Swapped out the 96 fuel pump for my old 97 pump..... Better pressure but still no dice. More confusion and I finally pulled the fuel rail off the intake I had bought and slapped the 2001 parts truck fuel rail on it and she fired up with no problem. That’s pretty much the shortened version and I am sure it is still long but I have lots of pictures to post. I am almost completely finished as of yesterday with only the gauges to be wired in properly, brake switch needs to be wired in, find a small Trans leak, finish the exhaust, and put the bed and hood on. Just lots of little things left to do. Hope you guys enjoy!
forum upload pictures by Imaguyoverhere - Photobucket