PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

93 S-10 project

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 S-10 project Update

I have almost completed my project, but I will admit I have a ways to go before I can call it "done".

I started out with a 93 S-10 rcsb 2wd, had the 4.3/4L60E combo. Ran decent enough to be fun, but just not fast enough to fit my needs. Still isn't quite fast enough but I have a cure for that problem. LOL

I have run it at the Dragstrip with both the 3.08 rear and the 4.10 rear.

fastest time with the 3.08, mini spool, and 28 inch slicks, on the 4.3L was 10.87. Now that the 4.3L is gone and in it's place is a 5.3L/turbo 400 combo, fastest time on 3.08 rear was 9.417. The 5.3/turbo 400 have a couple things that need worked on. First is the turbo 400 has a buzzing sound and slips under WOT on the 1/2 shift. Second is the engine is BONE STOCK except for the "mild tune" that was put in when I took the ECU to get all the fancy crap turned off and it run as a stand alone unit.

I re-worked the harness myself and have had no issues with the engine running. The dash gauge for the temperature did not work when we got the truck, but I have managed to get everything else but the speedo to work. Voltage, oil pressure, dash lights, signal bulbs, hi beam bulb. The fuel gauge works but is off because when I swapped the fuel pumps from low pressure to high pressure I managed to make the level arm come out of the sender assembly. I will be ordering another assembly in the next couple of weeks.

I still have to get one of the wheels for the rear of the truck for the slicks. I ordered one week before last and haven't ordered the other one. With free shipping I am not in too big of a hurry since racing season does not start til March. And at the beginning of February is when panic will set in and I will be broke all month long. and not home all month trying to get the stuff paid for, then I will be thrashing for a full day to get stuff done!! Something will break and I wont get it finished!! LOL

I know it isn't all immaculate and perfect looking, but it is not supposed to be.
It has that "junker" look to it that makes it a surprise when someone wants to come mess with it.
Attached Thumbnails 93 S-10 project-stage-018.jpg  

Last edited by BigEd_72455; 02-25-2014 at 03:07 PM. Reason: felt like it dammit
Old 12-02-2013, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Went out earlier today and put the 4 inch drop blocks back under my truck. Managed to twist the rear enough the stupid driveshaft fell out of the trans.. bashed my head, knuckles, shoulder, and smashed my ring finger.. All of which pissed me off quite royally..

Got the other rear wheel in today. Going later this week to get the slicks swapped over to those wheels. Also going to remove the front runners in place of some stock 14 inch tires for street driving. Those skinnies just don't do well with these Arkansas back roads being all curvy. I might sell them off since they only have around 300 miles on them. Haven't decided on that yet.

I plan to try to start removing the transmission tomorrow since it is now sounding like it is eating its insides. I will be buying the manual valve body later this week and hopefully taking it next week to get it rebuilt. Bad part is the trip is 110 miles each way!! I wish they could get it done in one day, but they will probably take a week or so to get it done.

Forgot this earlier, the stupid *** collector gaskets keep blowing out on both sides, despite how tight I try to get them or what I use to help seal them. So, before I get everything all back together and running I plan to remove the headers on both sides, cut off the flanges on the headers and the exhaust pipe, and have new pipework welded in to resolve the problem completely. No collectors in line means no leaks, plain and simple.

Last edited by BigEd_72455; 12-02-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, pretty much nothing managed to get done because apparently ANTARCTICA decided to pass over Northeast Arkansas, along with half the continental United States.

I still have the other rear wheel sitting in the living room. I went out and took a few pictures today of the now lowered S-10 and the snow/ice around it... It is gonna be a while to get it to a workable location because it will more than likely take over a week to get the ground dry enough to do anything at all. I am going to call the trans guys I am going to have do the transmission rebuild and see what they would charge to pull the tranny out themselves if I haul the truck over there. Not gonna be a FREEBIE I am sure... But you never know with the old man over there. I wont find that out til tomorrow or the next day.

Since I am going to be rebuilding the transmission cross member, Maybe I can get them to do it for free since they will be just be cutting out the one that is in there and then leaving the transmission inside the cab for me.

I just don't know how it is all going to work out. One minute I have 500 ideas, next minute I want to just sell it and get a regular pickup I can drive around and tear up the roads with as it is.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGH!!

Last edited by BigEd_72455; 04-10-2015 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

Looks like a nice little build. It already busts ***, you will have a rocket with nitrous.
The joys of being a shade tree mechanic. I have been in similar situations with exhaust and driveshafts and dirt falling on my face. Be safe and good luck
Old 12-10-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

It hasn't beaten too much at the track. POS trans is my biggest problem. It will cost me $450-500 to rebuild it between the rebuild and gas to haul it 100 miles each way, twice. It sounds like it is just a grind fest inside the trans, plus an absolute **** sounding whine at startup..
Old 12-10-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is what I WANT to do by the end of next year..

9.63 pass, wheelstand s-10 - YouTube
Old 12-10-2013, 06:48 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455
One minute I have 500 ideas, next minute I want to just sell it and get a regular pickup I can drive around and tear up the roads with as it is.
i know exactly how you feel. i'm working on an s10 too. sometimes you just have to walk away and come back 2 weeks later.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

How are you running your setup? Is it for street or track? I am asking because pretty much my entire fuel system will come off mine all the way to where the heads and intake bolt together. I am switching over to carb and am trying to get rid of my stuff. Intake, harness, computer, fuel pump, the lines are stock and bent up too badly to worry about selling off. Even the fuel tank is coming off for a fuel cell that will be in-bed.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:10 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

my build thread is titled "TXsilverado 2.0". tons of information in there for what you're wanting to do. read up and let me know if you have any questions.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a really good idea of what all I am going to be doing, but it is just the finances to get it done. I may be off work for a hurt back, but even I don't really want to sit and read through 45 pages of posts!!

That is the model of truck I wanted to start with was the 94-98 model. Did you get rid of those mint looking wheels that were on it? Aren't those 15's?

Quick Reply: 93 S-10 project