PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

4x4 T56 build

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I myself found a built t56 from a c5 vette pushing 700 hp, it was built by rockland standard gear, anyways I managed to pick it upfor 1000 bucks, got the keisler mid shift for about 200, and bought an fbody mid plate and bellhousing for 200 each, just have to finish machining my transmission/ transfercase adapter ..... adapter lol, fun build so far
Old 10-13-2012, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah it really wasn't all that difficult...Just a couple plates machined and a core 4x4 adapter.

Mine is installed and works great!

One thing I'm a little concerned about is that I don't have a rear shift rail anymore so the shift selector isn't supported, putting more stress on the front rail. When I installed it I drove in the roll pin and also put some tack welds on it for piece of mind.

Clutch seems to be holding up good. Still breaking it in. Glad I went with a dual disc!

I'm ditching the keisler shifter, I had to grind down the stem and oblong the aluminum base to get enough throw to get 1st and reverse.

The 03-04 Cobra Pro 5.0 shifter has almost the same mounting pattern in the mid position and has stops, much better quality. It looks like I can use the stop base on the pro 5.0 to build a reverse lock out.

The only piece thats really needed for mid shift is the shift selector. I ruined one and had to buy it seperate, it was $60 iirc.

I'll take some pics of the install when its not raining. Ended up having to cut the torsion bar mount to get the t-case to clear, fabbed up a removable brace for it and reinforced the bottom with some DOM
Old 11-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!

Very nice! So you enjoy the 4x4 and 6 speed so far? Think its worth the trouble? I noticed with the keisler mid shift it doesnt shift well at all and i also had to grind it down, your saying a mustang pro 5.0 will work? Got a part number or link?
Old 11-12-2012, 07:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chevy Cowboy
Very nice! So you enjoy the 4x4 and 6 speed so far? Think its worth the trouble? I noticed with the keisler mid shift it doesnt shift well at all and i also had to grind it down, your saying a mustang pro 5.0 will work? Got a part number or link?
So far so good just did a 1500 mile road trip and no issues. Picked up 2mpg also. Have some issues with the tune since I kept the a4 OS and just disabled the DTCs. Mainly just driveability issues, studder under light acceleration and a weak stall saver when taking off from lights.

Trans temp gauge was only around 160 for the entire trip, 3 people with a weeks worth of hunting gear.

For the shifter I used one for a 03-04 cobra pro 5.0. Holes needed to be blown out and I RTV'd it up good no leaks.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

around 8000 miles on the setup and no problems.

Keep in mind my engine is bone stock LQ9 with LTs and e-fans.

I'm able to lay some nice awd rubber and no clutch slipping. I'm afraid for my gov-bomb next.......might do a custom 9" housing with a limited slip.

I like the 4.10 gears for this setup 70+ expressway rpms are perfect, however 55mph roads 6th is a little tall but manageable.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

I'm getting more and more convinced to do this swap.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

better hurry...i don't know how much longer you will be able to buy the gears etc from GM/Tremec for the 1pc counter SSR!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Rockland standard gear has a 4x4 T56 tranzilla they offer now. Just sayin . . .
Old 02-07-2013, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Awesome build
Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SLCviaAK
Rockland standard gear has a 4x4 T56 tranzilla they offer now. Just sayin . . .
Rockland is the whole reason I did the project.

They wouldn't return any of my phone calls, couldn't get ahold of anybody there to even take my money!

**** that company. I did this much cheaper and used vendors that actually answer their phones and want your money.

Quick Reply: 4x4 T56 build