PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

4.8L/ 4L80E Combination questions for a Swap into Toyota Landcruiser

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8L/ 4L80E Combination questions for a Swap into Toyota Landcruiser

Hello all,

This is only my 3rd post, although I have been trolling for awhile.....

Awesome site with lots of great folks looks like!

I think I want an engine and transmission from a Chevrolet Express Van so I can get a 4.8L with a 4L80E wiring harness, then swap out that 2wd 4L80E for a 4WD 4L80E (advance adapters kit to adapt to a Toyota transfer case requires a 4WD 4L80E)

Here are my parameters and expectations for the engine/tranny/computer:

1. Be able to obtain 17+ HWY mpg in a 5,000lb '89 Toyota Landcruiser

2. Be able to Turbocharge with a T04R turbo that I already have and obtain 380-400rwhp at 8-10psi of boost ideally without meth injection or intercooling

3. Be reliable and super stout with a 200,000 mile minimum life for the combination (not counting a bad tank of gas or a bad tune)

4. Be able to move up in size of tire if I do a Spring over Axle swap on my Landcruiser and go to 35-37" tires (the weight of the vehicle and the demand on the transmission if turbocharged would be my reasoning for having the 4L80E)

__________________________________________________ _______________

Here are my questions:

1. Is there a specific best -year or model to start with on the 4.8L?

I have been looking at the LY2 engines because they don't seem to have the DOD or active fuel managment or VVT complications for the tuning integration and the LY2 supposedly had some marked improvements over the earlier engines/ECM's.

2. If I start with the Chevy Express van ECM with a factory 2wd 4L80E/ 4.8L engine, it won't have an issue controlling a similar year model 4WD 4L80E will it?

3. The Express vans seem to have really low horsepower ratings, is this because of a super tiny camshaft and no other changes to the engine or head design?

4. What is a great, cheap, reliable cam for good mileage and big power increase whether N/A or later turbocharged? Z06 cam from a certain year model or other cam to use?

5. Is the stock intake good to stick with or is there a different model or design that is worth swapping for cheap? Or, do I just stay with what it comes with and put the boost to it? What injectors do I need to run for 380-450whp boosted?

6. Do the later LY2 or L20 engines/ECM's present a big hurdle for a tuner or for me using HPtuners? I have tuned and worked on some aftermarket ECM's before, but no factory tuner setups....

7. Will I need to install ARP head studs and rod bolts right away along with new headgaskets, or should I be ok in lower boost levels as long as I keep it happy with my wideband AFR meter?

Thank You all!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the sight. I am eventually going to turbo my 4.8l as well and I've done a pretty decent amount of research but im no expert by any means.

I'm planning on running around the same amount of boost, maybe more, and I will be using ARP head studs and rod bolts with a LS9 head gasket. Also i will be using a LS6 cam (which everyone says is a great boost cam for the money) or an isky triple 12 cam 212/212 .56X/.56X 112lsa, however I don't know how these cams will behave for a n/a engine. Furthermore I'm going to do hardened pushrods, a trunion upgrade for the valve train and some better valve springs, like ls6 or patriotdual gold springs.

I'll be getting bigger injectors, not sure how big yet. I would suggest buying a couple books to help answer some of your questions (i have started to accumulate a small library all pertaining to LS engines and turbocharging). I would suggest "Maximum Boost" by corky bell and "How to Supercharge & Turbocharge GM LS-Series Engines". These all have formulas needed to figure out what size injectors, etc, etc. Additionally, you might need to upgrade your fuel system (i'm not sure what the stock pumps flow). I am planning on doing dual walboro 255's (might be overkill for you) or a single aeromotive 340 pump.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the build.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Post some pics of the truck!! My good friend rolls around in a "Chevota" but he is running a sbc in it. Should be a cool truck when done