PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2018 LTZ Z71 Redline 6.2/8 speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 02:20 AM
TOWN CRIER

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Choda
Yes, its plenty loud at cold starts. I wouldnt want it any louder than it is now. I have zero plans of adding headers or an off road y pipe.

The truck doesn't feel any faster, it actually feels a bit slower. My butt dyno might be off because I'm listening to the noise instead of feeling the power. Tomorrow I'll have some 1/8 times. The truck def drives differently. It goes into V4 much much more now, it also seems to shift sooner than before too. Im sure the ecm isnt used to the new air flow.
Same issue I have with my wife's Suburban after Corsa/aFe intake install. I haven't had time/resources to tune yet but it feels slower than it did before I messed with it... very strange.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 06 4.8
Go ahead and stop playing around and get that tcm sent off lol
Working on it, I'll have to rent a car while my truck is down without the TCM. Really a pain so this better be worth it.

Originally Posted by cheyenne383
Same issue I have with my wife's Suburban after Corsa/aFe intake install. I haven't had time/resources to tune yet but it feels slower than it did before I messed with it... very strange.
Right... We'll see tonight what it does.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:01 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Have any vacations coming up? I would plan around a time when its as convenient as possible rather than getting it done ASAP. Thats just me... id be in no real rush to crush the warranty. Especially on a trans that has a little bit of a track record with warranty work.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
Have any vacations coming up? I would plan around a time when its as convenient as possible rather than getting it done ASAP. Thats just me... id be in no real rush to crush the warranty. Especially on a trans that has a little bit of a track record with warranty work.
This is also true. I’m fortunate enough to work at a dealership where I have a service director and trans guy that are pretty awesome and help ppl out as much as possible. After our trans tech drove my truck after the tune he said he wished al of them were like that and believes it will last much longer. I would possibly talk to your dealership about it
Old 07-11-2018, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 06 4.8
This is also true. I’m fortunate enough to work at a dealership where I have a service director and trans guy that are pretty awesome and help ppl out as much as possible. After our trans tech drove my truck after the tune he said he wished al of them were like that and believes it will last much longer. I would possibly talk to your dealership about it
My vacations are when I need my truck the most LOL

I talked to the dealer and they said I could buy a new TCM for ~260, from there I would have to bring them my truck to program it. They questioned why I would want to buy one, I said i hate that it shifts soft when I'm towing 6k lbs through town.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Always trust the butt dyno. Fing thing ran the same exact 60 foot, 1/8 et and trap. The truck sounds sweet but I can feel it holding itself back. $300 intake and $1200 exhaust gained me zero performance. Ordering the tcm tomorrow then scheduling the tune. If this pig doesn’t break into the 8s after that, I’ll order a cam.

I made 5 passes. Every one was 77mph. Even in 2wd

Old 07-11-2018, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

The truck is smart, so not seeing an improvement doesn't surprise me much on the newest of trucks. Stock tune, un-altered torque model gets similar results.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:48 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

There's not a whole lot to be had in just engine tuning on these new trucks, the stock tuning is actually really good, so I am not that surprised. I pulled the tune from my '18 and looked around but haven't even bothered tuning it since the stock tuning looked pretty good and it has plenty of power in stock form.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:09 AM
TECH Addict

^ oh great so I’ll throw another grand into this and trap 77 again.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:25 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

In all fairness though I havent actually tested my theory and have not touched the TCM either since I dont have any issues with how the truck shifts

Quick Reply: 2018 LTZ Z71 Redline 6.2/8 speed