PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2003 Silverado 2500HD + turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 02:23 AM
77x
Teching In

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2003 Silverado 2500HD + turbo

Hello. I am undertaking a new project. This particular truck has been on the back burner for a few years.

Here are some tentative specs/parts list/build plans:

Engine “build”:
SBE 6.0 LQ4
Gen 4 rods
Stock 317s
S475 big T6 1.32 96 turbine boi
BTR stage 2 turbo Cam/springs
LS9 head gaskets+arp studs (bought the studs long before I learned the are not necessary.)
Rings gapped 0.030

Transmission/4wd Build plans:
Jakes billet triple disk
Stage 4 Jakes rebuild kit
NP263 with stock TCCM wired to Terminator X

Fuel system:
thinking double 450s on stock feed should be enough to keep up with this turbo
Bosch 210s

Engine Management:
Holley Terminator X Max (cheapest easiest thing currently on the market, sick of screwing with hptuners)

Chassis/drivetrain/suspension:
Sleeved or beefy tierods
Clamped rear leafs
Traction bars
Posi 14 bolt (keeping 4.10s)
Currently on 35” tires on H2 wheels
Lowered torsion bars
Also looking into slicks and street tires

Will also consider a drop shackle to level it out a tad but I probably will leave it with the aggressive stance.

Going for truck pulling/drag race setup, wanting to see this setup make 700 whp on this turbo and fuel setup. Realistically building for 450-500 whp for "typical" street use and able to handle 6,000 lbs (its own weight) or sled pulling stress.

edit: current set up is
Btr stage 2 turbo cam
S475 t6 1.32 .96 castwheel
jakes converter
walbro 525
bosch 210
pump 91
8 psi 14 degrees

definitely soft on the tune up but the plugs looked safe.

Last edited by 77x; 06-24-2022 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:27 AM
77x
Teching In

Wrecked rental truck with 200,000+ miles

Box off

Cab off
Old 12-20-2019, 02:31 AM
77x
Teching In

Gapping rings

Loose as a goose

tools of the trade

neat

sponge boi reference lol

studded

Studs are kind of a pain in the ***.

happy little pistons
Old 12-20-2019, 02:34 AM
77x
Teching In

Went to pull tranny and t-case and found the start of crack in the t-case adapter. Also somebody used standard thread bolts and impacted them in the bottom of adapter to the trans mount. Going to get a different adapter, don’t want to chance this one breaking. Wish they made a billet one but couldn’t find anything online.

Lifting out the beast. (Fairmont, Volvo 960 & 245 hiding in the back) I am considering cheaping out and getting Jakes “trick kit” and recalibration kit. I am reevaluating my goals and I think I going to try and make it a bit more streetrable. The $1000 I’d save over the stage 4 will help me get Terminator X and get it running sooner. If it breaks something transmission related I can just address that later. More worried about U-joints at this point.

Fresh cab is on.

Planning on taking the original interior from the 06’ cab and creating a hybrid LT/WT trim package. Rubber floors, fancy seats, center console, crank windows, tow mirrors. Factory radio was missing from the 2006 so I can’t really swap a factory one in without doing the security reprogramming. Probably will buy a double din touchscreen radio. Need to do more research.

This cab pictured is a former oilfield work truck. It’s in pretty good shape but the inside is rough. If I am unable to find a color matching box, I may try to find a service bed.

Last edited by 77x; 01-16-2022 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:34 AM
77x
Teching In

I have been researching to see how I can control my push button t-case (np263) without the factory pcm. It looks promising, the transfer case control module uses VSS (green/white wire pin 16?) from the P59. This can be created as an output on one of the Terminator X pins. But I have read that Holley puts out a 12 volt square wave adjustable ppm while GM uses a 5 volt square wave 4K ppm. I just have to convert 12v to 5v using resistors/diodes/some sort of voltage regulator and then I should have a good VSS output. Little more R&D is needed to confirm everything. Really need a master schematic to ensure I am not missing a piece of the puzzle. Having a VSS output will help retain stock 4wd and speedometer. Not a terrible sacrifice for one output.

Last edited by 77x; 12-20-2019 at 02:48 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:38 AM
77x
Teching In

Just mocked up for the time being. Need to make a special junkyard trip to find 12mm cab bolts and a breadbox intake. Tried spraying a valve cover white but it looked like **** so I took it off and polished it up.

Specs: 226/231 Intake: .605. Exhaust: .598 LSA: 113°

Size reference for a S475. Weighs about 60 lbs.

I got half way to work this morning and got a call saying we weren’t working today because of ice. Decided to road trip to the city since I was 1/4 of the way there. Went to my favorite junkyard and found this race intake for $50.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:40 AM
77x
Teching In

Should be a fun weekend in store. Tear down the trans, do what I can while it’s apart and then build a shopping list of the other stuff I need for the build.

Junky creeper is good for rolling trans and t case around.

Got my Warr 102mm. Looks bad *** in person, totally transforms the intake with it on. Gonna have to clean the intake up a bunch. Maybe I should add rails? I don’t know. E85 is like a 150 miles away so I don’t really think I need rails at all. 210 injectors on gasoline are also silly. The fuel table has much more resolution on terminator x compared to a p59 so that helps. Only reason I got the 210s is they were a good deal on eBay.

Probably just will stick with the 210s and double 450s. Should be more than enough for gasoline/meth.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:43 AM
77x
Teching In

Bit more cleaning and we are ready to go.

So far so good. Everything looks ok, nothing broke or full of metal.

Decided to get Jakes stage 4 rebuild, dont want to mess around looking for all the parts myself.

Jakes Stage 4 inbound
Terminator X inbound
Old 12-27-2019, 12:50 AM
77x
Teching In

harness and pcm removed

still cluster with harness removed

seats out, preparing to swap some interior stuff from the crunched 06' cab
Old 12-29-2019, 02:10 AM
77x
Teching In

Cleaned the vinyl floor. Decided to fully swap body harness. Really wanted power seat, thermostat, compass, tow mirrors that dim and flash the turn signal. A little above and beyond but whatever. Considering using the stock computer to run gauges and a/c after watching sloppy’s latest video. Matt makes a valid point about freeing up Terminator X’s i/o. I don’t know if I can really hijack the rpm and speedo signals though? seems pretty janky, might have a backfeed or noise? Gonna have to research that.

Research complete, just visited the term-x group on fb and many people have piggyback off the pcm crank and speed sensors with success.

Ok I have a game plan.

I’m gonna take the p59 in my Impala out and use it in this truck because I already spent the credits to unlock it.

I’m gonna depin everything except crank, ect, oil, pressure/level, alternator, a/c, and vehicle speed.

I have a junk avalanche truck that I’m going to steal the gas pedal out of, throttle cable, and cruise module. I’ll convert dbw to dbc.
Was originally planning to use dbc so I ordered terminator x for dbc instead of dbw. Oh well...........

Now I can have my factory t case still work and cruise+everything else.

Found this write up here for dbc cruise swap. Seems very good.

ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/790188-you-want-gm-cruise-control-your-cable-driven-tb.html

should be a very minimal modification-oriented conversion.

Last edited by 77x; 12-29-2019 at 02:16 AM.

Quick Reply: 2003 Silverado 2500HD + turbo