PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2000 Chevy Silverado project "Charlie Murphy"

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 12:44 AM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rest In Peace Charlie. "The darkness" was the inspiration for my truck's namesake.

Charlie Murphy 1959-2017
The following users liked this post:
wretched73 (04-13-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know old Thread, but Great Info.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:19 PM
Charlie Murphy!

I’m not done. I’m just a full time engineering student with no spare time. Charlie will rise again!
Old 08-24-2018, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You're in oregon right? Please say OSU. I went there for engineering as well! You will get through it soon! What year are you?
Old 08-27-2018, 09:15 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Originally Posted by Jeebalow
You're in oregon right? Please say OSU. I went there for engineering as well! You will get through it soon! What year are you?
Yup. CS major at OSU. I'm starting my third year. I was systems option but changed to applied. I recently got into self driving cars.

Check it out:

Old 08-27-2018, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Holy ****, are you using an iPhone's camera for that? That's awesome and frightening.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's been awhile, but good job cutting open the stock regulator and showing the inside bits! From your pics it definitely looks like the stock fuel pressure regulator is adjustable. Just curious, but did you try backing the screw on top out to see if the pressure dropped?
Old 08-23-2019, 04:04 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Just finished Summer term. I think it’s time to play with Charlie Murphy again so I headed out to my parents place and used a weed eater to get him out.

I feel so bad. Out of sight out of mind.

Apparently I left the nitrous hooked up for the last 3 years.

So, I took a pressure washer to the truck.

Not bad.

I have one of those car wash attachments for my pressure washer. The results were downright amazing. (Mostly due to the treatment I gave the truck in 2016.)

Bear in mind, this is without actual scrubbing. Lol.

I have an optima yellowtop battery that has been maintained by a batteryminder charger. Well, it’s dead AF. I threw it on the charger at 8 amps for 6 hours. Let the battery cool down then left it on at 4 amps overnight. Miraculously, the battery seems to be okay.

Started it up and let it get up to operating temperature. I feel kinda bad about this. It seems to be running okay, but it is burning gas from 2016.

So far so good... except...

There’s mice or something in the HVAC vents. Not looking forward to tearing that apart. I cleaned up the interior but need to figure out how I wired things. I need to read my own build thread.

The AC doesn’t work and there’s a death wobble at 40-60mph. Not sure if the tires are out of balance from sitting or what.

I need to get a new grill and mirror caps. The paint I used was pressure washed off in spots.

I'm not a fan of how the rear window's tint has turned purple. I'll either rip off the shitty tint and retint it, or I'm considering installing a rear slider.

The next goal for me is to swap to the newer fuel tank so I can avoid low fuel issues. After that, get back into tuning.

On that front, there’s a new HPTuners tuner I need to look into. Is it worth the upgrade? I need to figure out how all that works again.

Ultimately, it’d be awesome if I could finally get the turbo setup installed too.
The following users liked this post:
Tydriver (08-23-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 12:33 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Back from the dead!
Old 08-24-2019, 11:42 AM
Charlie Murphy!

Originally Posted by Atomic
Back from the dead!
Yup!

I haven't searched yet, but I was thinking about that gas tank swap. I have the smaller and older fuel bucket that requires me to stay above 1/4 tank. One thing that occurred to me though, I have a RCSB truck. Will the later, and larger, fuel tank even fit? I know the short bed trucks got smaller tanks for some reason.

Quick Reply: 2000 Chevy Silverado project "Charlie Murphy"