PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

{Project} White Noise- 2005 ECSB 2wd Silverado, Forged 402/4l80e/PTE 88mm turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 03:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Choda
Keep the pics and updates coming. Love this build. What exactly had to be grinder down on the manifold?
Do you mean when I test fitted the oil dip stick? The mounting tab on the dip stick had to be ground to clear the exhaust manifold flange. Looking back, I see I wasn't very clear on that in the post.

Thanks for the compliments. Hoping to pick up more speed on the build soon. I've only got a few months left to my dead line of Powecruise!
Old 03-31-2014, 04:49 PM
TECH Regular

That crossmember turned out really nice. The truck is coming along nicely
Old 04-02-2014, 05:08 AM
Launching!

I ran into a stupid problem the other night. The fitting I tapped into my oil pan for the turbo return was just slightly in the wrong place. I installed the -10 straight end last year when I built the motor and place it according to other ones I've seen on here, well I was wrong by about an 1/8" My straight hose connector was hitting the crank pulley. So I went to the local pseed shop and ended up spending twice as much as I would ordering online but at least I was able to see the stuff in person and make some measurements and get it right. had to have a couple 45*s to get around that.
Name:  IMG_1525.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  99.5 KB

And then I spent the next 3 hours trying to figure out the good way to do these AN fittings from Anfittingsdirect.com. What a pain, have to cut he stainless back from the PTFE hose to fit the collar on and then tighten the fitting. I was able to make my drain line finally. I think I can get more angle out of it if I adjust the angle down at the pan.
Name:  IMG_1534.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  91.4 KB
Name:  IMG_1533.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  91.1 KB

I'm also going to need to figure out hwo well a wastegate will fit on front of the manifold. I haven't seen another thread yet with a person using the stainless manifold and a wastegate on the front of it. Obviously the heater core hoses need to be modified, it also will be close to the turbo drain.
Name:  IMG_1527.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  73.0 KB
Old 04-02-2014, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I capped my wastegate port so I could use a larger gate in the crossover. If you move your heater lines under the overflow tank and along the firewall, you will have plenty of room for a gate on the manifold.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Launching!

That's kind of what I'm thinking I will do for the heater lines, run them out over the passenger fender like you always see in the muscle cars.

I've seen in some posts by Trick yesterday while I was searching that he mentioned his kits just block the port and use a WG on the crossover. Why have it in the manifold if it's not used?

I am also wondering if just the one 38mm wastegate will be enough to run under 10psi with the 402? It's possible I may need to run one in the crossover and have two of them on the system. I haven't seen another thread yet where someone has used this cast manifold. Has anyone else seen something I can check out for some ideas?
Old 04-02-2014, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm using the casted manifold. I'm also not sure why he would put a 38mm flange there. It is in a good place but its too small for a lot of builds out there. I would cap it like I did and run a bigger wg in the crossover.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is there no other decent places to tap a oil return? Looks like a giant pain to get it there
Old 04-02-2014, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I ran 90* fittings on my heater hoses and ran them up under the intake cover straight into the heater core hoses. Works great and super clean. That would give you room for the wg.

Gotta say man I hate that oil drain. Lol. Also check out where I put my drain too.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Yeah, the front wastegate location seems pretty odd. Especially if he doesn't even sell the complete hot side kits that utilize it.

There are other places to put the drain. I've seen many people do it on the passenger side of the pan. I decided to go in the front because of space. The passenger side is busy enough with the manifold, a down pipe, wastegate pipe and wideband already planning to be put in over there. When I drilled the front oil pan last year, I looked at pics and basically made a good guess on where to put it and it happened to be 1/4" too far left. The straight fitting on planned to use is way bigger than I expected.

What part of the drain don't you like Choda? The stupid amount of fittings or the routing?
Old 04-03-2014, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Choda
I ran 90* fittings on my heater hoses and ran them up under the intake cover straight into the heater core hoses. Works great and super clean. That would give you room for the wg.

Gotta say man I hate that oil drain. Lol. Also check out where I put my drain too.
i checked out your drain, to low on the pan for my liking.

Quick Reply: {Project} White Noise- 2005 ECSB 2wd Silverado, Forged 402/4l80e/PTE 88mm turbo