New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

Lq4 questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 06:43 PM
Rpc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lq4 questions

Just getting into this. I have a junkyard lq4 .Would like to turbo charge it eventually but for now just looking for some extra n/a power out of it . Looking for advice on good head and cam combo and lq9 pistions to bump up the compression for now?
Old 01-20-2019, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

What is it going in?

That cam determine what size camshaft to use, as well as what stall converter would be ideal for whatever cam is picked.

I'd keep the stock heads, just mill them to bump compression.

If you plan for a lot of power you may as well just put in better connection rods and pistons because GEN 3 rods in most cases shouldn't be the go to rod if you want over 500-550whp.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:25 PM
Rpc

Originally Posted by Rpc
Just getting into this. I have a junkyard lq4 .Would like to turbo charge it eventually but for now just looking for some extra n/a power out of it . Looking for advice on good head and cam combo and lq9 pistions to bump up the compression for now?
single cab silverado
Old 01-20-2019, 07:30 PM
Rpc

just looking to get some extra power out it natural for now to get it going .Would save the heads thats on it now unmilled for later
Old 01-20-2019, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll be straight with you here before someone gives you the 3rd degree on some of this.

Wanting more power is cool but you need to have goals. There are literally a million different combinations of parts you can use to make more power but you need be very specific in what you are after.

So far we got that you want more power and this is a single cab truck.

This is where the goals part comes into play.

Do you want a choppy cam or a mild cam?

Do you want to run a stall converter and what transmission are you using?

Do you plan to stay with your current transmission or upgrade it? Like if this is a 4L60e truck, it will die with a 6.0 and extra power, so think about that.

How much power you after also gets into things like your fuel system. A cammed 6.0 making okay power will require more fuel, so larger injectors need to be considered as well.

It's a lot to think about and lots of homework must be done on your end.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:51 PM
Rpc

I understand about goals and stuff .Looking for street driveability but not a daily driver .Naturally asperiated . Would like to be able to drive the truck and make mods to that as necessary. I have a 4l80 with it .Maybe a shift kit and stall converter? Would like to keep the heads that came with it for later so looking for a good stock head . 243 maybe? Mildish cam . Not really nasty but agressive ya know? And a tune . Would lq9 pistons help up the compression?
Old 01-21-2019, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

if your going to turbo it i would just leave the lq4 pistons in it, lq9 pistons will bump the compression cant say what it will be till you get heads, im doing 243's and a BTR stg2 n/a cam since i have them on hand i might have picked a different cam if i was shopping for one but hope to be around 400ish rwhp mid to upper 3's for torque

as mentioned with out really saying what HP/TQ your looking for its hard for the guys to answer you, you want 300 at the wheels or 500 at the wheels? you doing a stall or keeping the stock? willing to swap injectors? bolt'ons? how will it be driven you towing?

this forum has A LOT of awesome members they can point you in the right direction but you need to fill them in with details of what your gold is, other wise its like walking in to a butcher shop and only telling him i want some meat to cook
Old 01-21-2019, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Any stage 2 or 3 camshaft from like texas speed or brian tooley racing will work. Keep the stock heads, no need to change them.

If the cam is on the larger end, then a stall converter of 2800-3000 maybe. New injectors for sure and a tune.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:48 PM
Rpc

Maybe will do some sort of forced induction later down the line .Way later. Id like to keep the hrmeads that came with it unmilled for later .The higher compression is what im looking for now. Not a daily driver but not an all out race truck . 400 whp would be a reasonable goal