New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

Did I do the right thing? Or am I FUBAR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 08:43 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by WholeLottaWhoopla
oh yeah - I hope my comment didn't come across as downplaying Atomic's tuning abilities, that wasn't my intention at all

Just commenting on the price difference; because I obviously have zero idea what either are capable of or the level of expertise they possess

I apologize if it seemed that way haha
it didnt come across that way at all. I was just trying to make you feel better about Spending more than you anticipated. These things snowball as your finding out lol.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell yeah I'm gonna shred a bit of rubber haha!
I knew it wasn't gonna be the cheapest project, and I know I'm not getting the most "hardcore budget build" like you see on YouTube, but I did anticipate spending about 2k all up. I only spent 5k on the truck itself. But again, it's been an ambition of mine to do something like this. And quite frankly not sure if I'll do it again (mostly because I'm pretty frugal, and my wife is the same way, and we have other, bigger goals in life).

But it has been a ton of fun, frustration and overall a pretty awesome experience!
only "regret" really was not joining these forums BEFORE I bought all my stuff, LOL

End of the day, I'll still have a truck that runs and I'm sure I can easily sell it for just about what I put in (unless I blow the thing up or have catastrophic failure somewhere)

Lemme see if I have photos for you guys, its nothing special, but its mine
Here are some photos:

Last edited by WholeLottaWhoopla; 05-20-2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

Looks good! Should be more fun to drive and sound better with a little chop.

Not a bad score for $5k either!
Old 05-20-2020, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Yeah, I didn't think it was so bad; thinking of putting an HD front end on it, with a steel bumper eventually. But I also have my exhaust to redo. And I also just told my wife about the $700 tuning quote so i gotta put out that fire first hahahahaha but I'm looking forward to it! Should be fun to take out camping, to the beach and hopefully an overland trip sooner than later!
Old 05-20-2020, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

One word of caution is that when you do go to burn some rubber wet the tires or spray some tire shine on them. Those are some pretty fat meats and a little lube make stuff smooth
The following users liked this post:
tjmath (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 03:10 PM
Teching In

I missed a couple of questions so here's the answers:

I'm getting the torque converter tomorrow; my mom is the manager of a local O'Reilly's so I'm getting a screaming deal on it through her (lets put it this way, cam retainer plate + map sensor + oil pressure sensor + knock sensor + dipstick tube + converter for less than $350)

But unfortunately my friend with the 2 post lift will be out this memorial day weekend; so I can't put the motor back in until the end of the month because I work full time, school part time and trying to wrench on this truck.

It's pretty much done; though I still have to finish changing the valve springs, because I broke a bolt in the heads when I was changing them

but yeah, motor is basically done and ready to be dropped back in, just some final touches

I will probably have to wait to buy the tune until maybe mid June because the wife is mad at how much time/money/attention has been put towards this project of mine.

I'll try to nab some footage once it's in
Old 05-20-2020, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Since you have a cam you will not be able to safely drive or possibly start the truck without a tune first.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:50 PM
Teching In

at the risk of sound even more stupid lol what about all those videos of people running their stuff untuned on youtube; where it just runs REALLLY choppy and idles like ***?

I definitely did not plan on driving it around prior to the tune; except maybe from my buddy's place to my house (20 miles most) all back roads

should I avoid even doing that?
Old 05-20-2020, 04:32 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

a cam that size will run in a 5.3, but you will be 2 footing it everywhere you go. it will be a big pain in the *** to drive until you get it tuned.

and find a new wife J/K
Old 05-20-2020, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
a cam that size will run in a 5.3, but you will be 2 footing it everywhere you go. it will be a big pain in the *** to drive until you get it tuned.

and find a new wife J/K
my wife is awesome, she's an imported asian with a sexy accent haha so I'll keep this one!

but yeah, if it wasn't for her strict budgeting my "hobbies" would cause me to lose the house and anything in savings LOL

Quick Reply: Did I do the right thing? Or am I FUBAR?